Need help to learn how to translate

Discuss translation contributions here.
THENIRL
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Need help to learn how to translate

Post by THENIRL »

Hello everyone,

I'm a jurist from Portugal, just found out about this game and I'd love to see it rise to the place it deserves. I can't really help with money for now, but I can provide a translation to portuguese, which would open up the portuguese and brazillian market (especially this last one, it's huge) to these guys. However, not being very computer literate, I don't really know how to proceed regarding the translation process. Is there anyone who can offer me some sort of guide or explanation on how to do this? It's important because portuguese speaking countries are vastly ignorant of the english language and I see that translated games are WAY more successful than the ones who only come in english.
I post this on this sextion of the forum because the "Translations" section seems to be centered around other matters and not exactly on helping somebody understand how to do it.

Thank you to anyone who can help out with this. If I can't get a job around here, at least I can have something useful to pass the time.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Need help to learn how to translate

Post by kovarex »

Hello,

thank you for the offer.
I moved this topic into translation category anyway :)
Make sure to take a look on this topic: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=12&t=95
Usual way to do it is to get the game, and copy english translation files as the files in your language, then you just open those files in some text editor.
(We prefer Notepad++) and alter the translation strings one by one, it should be quite easy.

THENIRL
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by THENIRL »

Thank you, I'll give it a try. Just to make sure, when you say "Notepad++", does that mean the standard notepad, or is it some different one? I saw that post too, but I don't understand what utf8 and BOM mean :P

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Notepad++ is like an advanced version of Notepad. notepad-plus-plus.org/
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

THENIRL
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by THENIRL »

Ok, I have finished the translation (I think). Now I have the controls.cfg, descripition-labels.cfg, etc, all in one directory. However, in my language we use characters like "~", "´", "^", "ç" and so on. I selected encoding as UTF8 without BOM. Now I understand I have to do something else concerning this, but I am struggling to understand what.

"If you need to use a different font (special characters), just make directory fonts in the locale directory of your language. And specify the font in /locale/<language>/font-settings.cfg"

How exactly do I specify these characters in this file?

Also, will the demo be enough to make sure I translated everything properly? There are some things that, taken out of context, may be incorrect.

All in all, "help, what now?" XD

Thank you in advance!

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Francisco wrote:Ok, I have finished the translation (I think). Now I have the controls.cfg, descripition-labels.cfg, etc, all in one directory. However, in my language we use characters like "~", "´", "^", "ç" and so on. I selected encoding as UTF8 without BOM. Now I understand I have to do something else concerning this, but I am struggling to understand what.

"If you need to use a different font (special characters), just make directory fonts in the locale directory of your language. And specify the font in /locale/<language>/font-settings.cfg"

How exactly do I specify these characters in this file?
You don't specify these characters, you just need font that contains there characters.

THENIRL
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by THENIRL »

Oh, ok, then, I guess that was it. Do I submit the files to you guys now?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

The best way to do it is to create public git repository.
If you are not used to do this, and you don't want to learn how to use git (It can get difficult sometimes), I can create the git repository for your language for you and upload it there.

Edit: In that case, just send the translation to me and I will do it.

The repo is here now.
https://github.com/kovarex/Factorio_Tra ... Portuguese

THENIRL
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by THENIRL »

Ok, it's been half an hour of websurfing and I still haven't found anything explaining what I need to do (anything I can understand, at least). It might be better if I just give you the files. Should I email you or something?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Email me at kovarex@gmail.com

THENIRL
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by THENIRL »

Email sent =)

Though I saw in an LP some stuff I did not find in the translatable files, like the "Get the computer on time" mission message. Where can I faind these specific sentences in order to translate them?

THENIRL
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by THENIRL »

Going one step further, I'd like to get the wiki in portuguese too. Anybody knows the best way to so this? I've never done anything like it before...

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Francisco wrote: Though I saw in an LP some stuff I did not find in the translatable files, like the "Get the computer on time" mission message. Where can I faind these specific sentences in order to translate them?
You can find them in the data/campaigns folder

THENIRL
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by THENIRL »

Thank you. I somehow got it in my head that all translatable files were in the /locale directory. On it!

Return to “Translations”