[0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by orzelek »

bobingabout wrote:
Recon777 wrote:Question about the recipe settings. Does Bob's give alternate "expensive" recipes for the "Recipe difficulty" and "Technology difficulty" settings?

I haven't tried those settings out yet at all, mostly because I'm trying to help balance the default game.
There are quite a few recipes in my mods that have an expensive setting.
None of the research has changed to specifically add an expensive alternative, but I thought expensive for technologies was just a flat multiplier to all techs. is this not the case?
Thee are both. There is a cost multiplier but techs can also have normal/expensive version. In vanilla game there are no techs that use this feature so it's not obvious it exists.

Huillam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Huillam »

Since the game has been updated to 0.15.14 Bob's Enemies crash my game.
While I can't be 100% sure that is because of that mod deactivating it I haven't been able to reproduce the issue. And that may very well be unrelated but I think the game crash the moment my tank is hit by a fire projectile.

If you're insterested I've uploaded my save. Just go for the alien base to the south east and run in circle.
And my list of mods: Bob's mods (assembly, electronics, enemies, greenhouse, inserters, library, logistics, mining, modules, ores, plates, power, tech, vehicule equipment, warfare), EvoGUI, RSO, Upgrade planner, YARM.
Attachments
Manual 1.zip
(24.62 MiB) Downloaded 67 times

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I have 2 save games, saved literally 2 seconds apart (not sure why I saved manually after an autosave, but aparantly I did)

The saved game crashes the game, the autosave does not.

I've submitted both save files, log, all my mods, and mod config in the bug reporting subforum, hopefully that will help the devs find out what the heck is going on.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Huillam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Huillam »

That was probably the same issue boro reported here as I've been able to assault few alien bases in 0.15.15 without a single crash.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yeah, probably. Seems to work now.
I also have a Patreon.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

bobingabout wrote:There are quite a few recipes in my mods that have an expensive setting.
None of the research has changed to specifically add an expensive alternative, but I thought expensive for technologies was just a flat multiplier to all techs. is this not the case?
I was referring to this:

So there are three settings. Recipe difficulty is either normal or expensive.
Likewise, Technology difficulty is either normal or expensive.
And then, there's the technology multiplier, which is something apparently different from the difficulty... I have not tried these, but there are definitely TWO separate factors that go into the price of technology.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the multiplier was probably JUST to multiply the quantity of science packs necessary to research something, where the technology DIFFICULTY probably uses an alternate tech recipe similar to item recipes when set to 'expensive'. I don't actually know though. I was hoping you'd know. ^_^

Osprey
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Osprey »

Hi Bob,
Are you Maltese, by any chance? Or have Maltese ancestry?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Osprey wrote:Hi Bob,
Are you Maltese, by any chance? Or have Maltese ancestry?
I'm not sure here is the best place to ask that question... but yes, my Dad is of Maltese descent.
I also have a Patreon.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

For some reason when enabling alien artifacts through Bob's logistics, this error comes up and a handful of unrelated mods strangely list as being unusable.

With artifacts disabled, all mods work just nice with each other.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I don't think it's my mod
name = "alien-artifact",
icon = "__bobenemies__/graphics/icons/alien-artifact.png",
Perhaps one of those other mods also does something with the alien artifact?
I also have a Patreon.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

bobingabout wrote:I don't think it's my mod
name = "alien-artifact",
icon = "__bobenemies__/graphics/icons/alien-artifact.png",
Perhaps one of those other mods also does something with the alien artifact?
I've turned on each mod listed one at a time until all were active, none of them sparked the error. This is why I find it most perplexing.
Most of the listed items don't really have anything to do with artifacts in any way to begin with.

I'll be testing all other unlisted mods until I get a reaction.

Edit: Turns out research queue was the culprit and I somehow missed it during the initial test. I'll inform them of the bug.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

Grenade damage seems more than a little light. I don't suppose you could buff it up quite a bit? I'm trying them out about 5 hours into a new game and finding them pretty useless except against the "small" biters. I've got the first few tiers of Grenade Damage researched as well.

Zyrconia
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zyrconia »

MY parallel play of the same campaign, one vanilla, one Bob's continues.

Some observation:
1. There is Basic oil and Basic oil + Sulphur. They both give the same amounts of gas, but one gives free sulphur. Is this a bug?
2. In the startup options of config there is a single checkbox on by default, the first one, related to alien artefacts. Reading that description lead me to believe that artefacts are in by default, but they are not. All the checkboxes should probably be off if there are no artefacts in the game.
3. I really don't like the new wood. The old one was a unique setup. This new one is simple and just a normal build.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

1. fairly sure that's correct, though I might need to double check.
2. Yes, that's right, but it's an issue of how the GUI works. those others are ignored if there are no artifacts, so should be hidden, but there's no option to do that sort of thing yet.
3. The old version of the wood was bringing too many issues. this was the easiest solution to the problem.
I also have a Patreon.

NewSwiss
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NewSwiss »

Recon777 wrote:Grenade damage seems more than a little light. I don't suppose you could buff it up quite a bit? I'm trying them out about 5 hours into a new game and finding them pretty useless except against the "small" biters. I've got the first few tiers of Grenade Damage researched as well.
Grenades are pretty much only used for early game tree-clearing and science. There are so many other, higher-tier weapons that they don't need a buff IMO.
Zyrconia wrote: There is Basic oil and Basic oil + Sulphur. They both give the same amounts of gas, but one gives free sulphur. Is this a bug?
Bob already answered, but he didn't mention why the oil product quantities are the same for both recipes. In reality, sulfur is a bi-product of oil processing; making it does not consume useful oil products, it's a free output. The reason a recipe exists that doesn't produce sulfur is because you can quickly end up with more sulfur than you know what to do with, so that provides a way of disabling sulfur output.
Zyrconia wrote:I really don't like the new wood. The old one was a unique setup. This new one is simple and just a normal build.
I disagree. While it was interesting to figure out a setup for the old wood recipe (especially one without filter inserters), but after the first time it was just a hassle. The new recipe is much more convenient to set up.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

NewSwiss wrote:
Recon777 wrote:Grenade damage seems more than a little light. I don't suppose you could buff it up quite a bit? I'm trying them out about 5 hours into a new game and finding them pretty useless except against the "small" biters. I've got the first few tiers of Grenade Damage researched as well.
Grenades are pretty much only used for early game tree-clearing and science. There are so many other, higher-tier weapons that they don't need a buff IMO.
Doesn't that seem rather odd though? One normally thinks of a grenade as a... weapon.

Ten hours in, the best solution I've got for clearing nests is still shameless sniper turret creeping Nothing else does the job with the swarms I'm facing. The "grenade damage" tech itself might use a big buff, even if they are fairly weak early on.

I haven't tried tanks in a while though. I wasn't impressed with their mobility challenges in vanilla. What do you normally use when you're about up to early blue science and the evolution factor is at 50%?

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

Yeah I think sniper turrets are op. Imo they should be a late game tech, requiring blue+military science or even high tech science

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

British_Petroleum wrote:Yeah I think sniper turrets are op. Imo they should be a late game tech, requiring blue+military science or even high tech science
I completely disagree. First, sniper turrets have already been moved back in the tech tree. They used to be available right away, but Bob moved 'em back a ways.

Second, it doesn't take very long before you start getting aggressive bug swarms which can OUTRANGE your defenses. Sniper turrets soon become absolutely critical if you play with heavy alien settings because Bob's Enemies are considerably more challenging than vanilla. I use Rampant AI in addition, which makes them actually SMART. No... snipers should not be late game. Sniper turret Mk3 is late game, as it should be. But the progression is fine. I'm just worried there's not enough OTHER weapons that do the job in the mid game.

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

Recon777 wrote:
British_Petroleum wrote:Yeah I think sniper turrets are op. Imo they should be a late game tech, requiring blue+military science or even high tech science
I completely disagree. First, sniper turrets have already been moved back in the tech tree. They used to be available right away, but Bob moved 'em back a ways.

Second, it doesn't take very long before you start getting aggressive bug swarms which can OUTRANGE your defenses. Sniper turrets soon become absolutely critical if you play with heavy alien settings because Bob's Enemies are considerably more challenging than vanilla. I use Rampant AI in addition, which makes them actually SMART. No... snipers should not be late game. Sniper turret Mk3 is late game, as it should be. But the progression is fine. I'm just worried there's not enough OTHER weapons that do the job in the mid game.
They even outrange flame turrets?

Currently mk1 sniper turrets are all you need to defend yourself from early game to end game, and they only cost iron and copper, and they make very efficient use of bullets. If they were a later tech then at least you'd need to use other turrets early on.
Last edited by British_Petroleum on Sun May 28, 2017 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Huillam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Huillam »

Recon777 wrote:I haven't tried tanks in a while though. I wasn't impressed with their mobility challenges in vanilla. What do you normally use when you're about up to early blue science and the evolution factor is at 50%?
I used the tank fitted with explosive cannon shells on my current playthrough: that wasn't awesome (things are a lot better once you have access to the explosive artillery) but with some shields and construction robots it's nearly impossible for it to take more than a chunk of damage.
Although I'm using RSO which probably made alien bases smallers and less frequent.

Return to “Bob's mods”