Variation in recipes

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

JoeSchmoe
Inserter
Inserter

Variation in recipes

Post by JoeSchmoe »

I would like to see some randomness in the hard coded factors from game to game.

Maybe upon map creation factorio can modify the recipes by changing the input quantities / time / output / impact of module / speed of inserter / etc. by a random amount say +/- 25%.

This would mean instead of always falling back on a tried and true factory setup each time, we would have to "wing it" each time through the game. No more calculate the optimal setup once, and re-implement it over and over.

boro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Variation in recipes

Post by boro »

I'd like semi-random ingredients for the research packs as a freeplay option

robhol
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by robhol »

Only for certain recipes, I think, and only the items - the total cost should stay roughly the same. If I generated a new world and everything cost 25% more than it should "just because", I'd reroll. :p
窮屈そうに身を屈めても今じゃ誰もがそうしてる 天井の無いECHO ROOMに誰かが僕を放り込む
君のSPEEDでもって 同じPHRASEを弾いて 冷たい時に寄り添って

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by muzzy »

I don't think the recipes should be altered, but multiple progression paths would be nice.

JoeSchmoe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JoeSchmoe »

My idea is not to scale everything by the same amount, but to scale every individual thing by a different randomly generated number, any where between +25% and -25%.

There are enough things that overall the general cost for things on the planet would even out to the same, thus keeping general balance. But enough variation that you need to tweak your stuff differently than before. Maybe mining is faster but furnaces are slower. Red science becomes 25% faster and takes 10% less copper and 5% less gears, but green becomes 20% slower and takes more belts and inserters. Now you may only need 1 red science assembler, to 3 green science assemblers. Next game it could be flipped the other direction.

robhol
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by robhol »

Sure. That was me adding a bit of exaggeration - though it's definitely possible both to luck out (everything -25%) and the opposite (everything +25%). The thing is, I don't really see how this adds anything to the game that outweighs the annoyance.
If the change were "let's see what the research vial Flavor-of-the-day is", that might be a better way of adding some change. After all, you do create a few of those over the course of the game. :p

Even then, I don't think this should be forced on anybody, but it might be a nice idea for an optional change - or a mod.
窮屈そうに身を屈めても今じゃ誰もがそうしてる 天井の無いECHO ROOMに誰かが僕を放り込む
君のSPEEDでもって 同じPHRASEを弾いて 冷たい時に寄り添って

Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schmendrick »

This is a mod I want to do, actually. I'm anxious to see how the changes go when they make entity and tech modifications available post-load.
Like my mods? Check out another! Or see older, pre-0.12.0 mods.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”