Using stone for land reclamation

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Using stone for land reclamation

Post by GotLag »

I had a quick search and people have suggested bridges over water, and bulldozers that clear dirt tiles and fill in water tiles, but how about simply using X amount of stone to convert a tile of water to a tile of land? Place it like a structure except instead of creating a building entity it changes a map tile. Now (for a price) you can build over/through pesky waterways! No extra over/under pathing/layering like a bridge, no digging moats around your base to make it invulnerable to biters, but finally a way to deal with inconvenient water or make a shortcut between two peninsulas. It would also be a godsend for train layouts.

just_dont
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Using stone for land reclamation

Post by just_dont »

Now that's quite a useful idea!
We may be getting ships and planes and other fancy stuff in some future update, but for now it would be a great (and very simple) idea to implement!
I'd surely like to request it as a mod, but alas, this kind of terraforming is not possible through lua interfaces at the moment.

Sedado77
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sedado77 »

I think the engine doesn't make it possible, but I realy like the idea, for its simplicity and also I think it woudl be usefull :)

Phy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Phy »

Since water doesn't "flow", there's no reason not to just fill it in where it's no needed. Some level of terraforming would be interesting.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

I was thinking it should be somewhat expensive, maybe 32 stone per tile, i.e. an entire stack just to make enough land for a single stone furnace. As it is there's not that much use for stone now, compared to how much is available.

Kiapha
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kiapha »

That depends on what mods you use, and how heavily you fortify. I think you should be able to use stone or wood to reclaim land, as well as iron or steel to build bridges. That would allow plenty of different options even with stone-hungry mods installed.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

just_dont wrote:I'd surely like to request it as a mod, but alas, this kind of terraforming is not possible through lua interfaces at the moment.
Sedado77 wrote:I think the engine doesn't make it possible, but I realy like the idea, for its simplicity and also I think it woudl be usefull :)
Just to clarify this. It is absolutly possible to create a mod that allow something like that. It just nobody did it yet ;)

just_dont
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by just_dont »

drs9999 wrote:Just to clarify this. It is absolutly possible to create a mod that allow something like that. It just nobody did it yet ;)
Current lua interfaces do not allow terrain modification in any form. So no, it's not possible to do that the way topicstarter described.
It may be possible currently to make "bridges" with mods, but not permanent terraforming.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Indeed! A quote from the 0.9.0 changelog:
Scripting:
It is possible to change tiles from script using the game.settiles
But yeah, it is not documented on the wiki...

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

Kiapha wrote:That depends on what mods you use, and how heavily you fortify. I think you should be able to use stone or wood to reclaim land, as well as iron or steel to build bridges. That would allow plenty of different options even with stone-hungry mods installed.
I used to play Simcity on the Super Nintendo as a kid, and at certain stages you could unlock landfill, to reclaim water to build on, but there were only about 3-4 you could get so you had to think carefully about where you put them. I wouldn't want it to be that limited but making it cost a lot of stone is just the first way I thought of to make it require planning and expansion for resources, instead of just automatically filling in every bit of water except a 2x2 pool for your engine pumps.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Lua API allows to change the tiles, so this is doable from mod already.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

Time to get to work, then.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”