Terrain Elevation

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Iphrid
Inserter
Inserter

Terrain Elevation

Post by Iphrid »

I know the devs are working on making the world less bland but I wanted to point out the one thing I really missed in the terrain generation. Elevation.
It makes for interesting challenges to making a functioning compact system and makes world less boring in general. Negotiating terrain was one of the things I really liked about Transport Tycoon and I think it would do wonders for Factorio as well.

Just a thought. Got some too? Please do share :)
ಠ_ಠ

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Terrain Elevation

Post by Garm »

Factorio is pure 2D game.

As such the maximum you can achieve is pseudo-elevation seen in older RTS games.

While it could "work" it would be sloppy and not easy to randomly generate.

Sedado77
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sedado77 »

Garm wrote:Factorio is pure 2D game.

As such the maximum you can achieve is pseudo-elevation seen in older RTS games.

While it could "work" it would be sloppy and not easy to randomly generate.
I agree, but if they can make it so that it works and looks pretty, i wouldn't object to it :)

Alfdaur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alfdaur »

I would love to see it happen. But yeah, it's a 2D game. Making the game isometric 3D (Is that the correct term?) could do it, but I don't know how much extra work this would create. Probably too much. But the addition of Age of empires style of platues could be nice.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I woudl like it too, but last summer this was discussed by me and the problem is - well explained by the devs, and I must admit that they are right - that the current top-view doesn't really enable that. So I don't give much hope into that - the decisions for that had been taken up about last summer, but they didn't.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Alfdaur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alfdaur »

ssilk wrote:I woudl like it too, but last summer this was discussed by me and the problem is - well explained by the devs, and I must admit that they are right - that the current top-view doesn't really enable that. So I don't give much hope into that - the decisions for that had been taken up about last summer, but they didn't.
Yeah, it's nothing more than a fancy for me. I would love some impassible mountain ranges that could be destroyable. (It would be something like the rocks we already have in the game, but than as a biome.)

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

A long long time ago in a land far far away there was a mod:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=1454
but I do not know if it is still working :D

krux02
Inserter
Inserter

Post by krux02 »

Dwarf Fortress has top view and levels. So don't say it is not possible.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

krux02 wrote:Dwarf Fortress has top view and levels. So don't say it is not possible.

It doesnt show everything at once either. This game follows a different path.

Iphrid
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Iphrid »

Garm wrote:
krux02 wrote:Dwarf Fortress has top view and levels. So don't say it is not possible.
It doesnt show everything at once either. This game follows a different path.
DF does have utilities to render multiple levels. Granted, it's not something that can be easily translated to Factorio (if at all) but I wouldn't throw the idea out of the window because of that. There are more ways to have multiple levels on the world and the fact that the devs are thinking about having underground/hidden ores and caves does suggest they would agree.

In any case, even though it has come a long way, the world needs to be more than an infinite flat plane with the occasional forest or desert imho. I like my pretty infrastructure to have pretty surroundings as well. :)
ಠ_ಠ

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

I dont think underground/hidden ores will be done on multiple levels, an I've not heard anything about caves.

I believe devs still stick to showing everything all the time + alt mode for extra info. Having multiple levels DF-style completely opposes such idea.

Iphrid
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Iphrid »

Garm wrote:I dont think underground/hidden ores will be done on multiple levels, an I've not heard anything about caves.

I believe devs still stick to showing everything all the time + alt mode for extra info. Having multiple levels DF-style completely opposes such idea.
Hidden ores. Meaning not showing everything. In any case, the 'show everything' rule is already broken with underground belts and pipes. You can have an entire transportation system underground with only input and output above ground if you so desired.

Also, from Role playing direction thread:
kovarex wrote:Exploration
Exploration is not interesting now, if we wanted to extend the roleplaying part, we would have to do a lot of with this, I can imagine more unique items, caves, different kinds of enemy bases etc.
ಠ_ಠ

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

That post is more than a year old, a lot changed since then.

Hidden ores are most likely to be hidden untill researched/discovered,built upon then they will be visible too. Think about it more like empty land -> land with high ore reading -> Mineshaft building that outputs ore.

Yes belts and pipes can go underground, but only for limited distance and are still visible when highlighted. There have been multiple discussions about this aspect as well. Besides you can't just go from one to the other. Pipes and belts are necessity, underground layer isnt.

Iphrid
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Iphrid »

Garm wrote:That post is more than a year old, a lot changed since then.

Hidden ores are most likely to be hidden untill researched/discovered,built upon then they will be visible too. Think about it more like empty land -> land with high ore reading -> Mineshaft building that outputs ore.
Makes sense.
Garm wrote:Yes belts and pipes can go underground, but only for limited distance and are still visible when highlighted. There have been multiple discussions about this aspect as well. Besides you can't just go from one to the other. Pipes and belts are necessity, underground layer isnt.
I agree. It's not necessary but it would be enhancing the game. Same with elevation. The show everything idea is fine for looking at stuff moving on belts but it should never be holding the game back. That would just be silly..
ಠ_ಠ

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Actually simple terrain elevation in the style of Dune 2 / 2000 or Starcraft is possible and something we consider. There would be two levels in such a way. Would also provide easier defendable spots (than just water surrounded) for possible PvP or challenge scenarios.

Iphrid
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Iphrid »

slpwnd wrote:Actually simple terrain elevation in the style of Dune 2 / 2000 or Starcraft is possible and something we consider. There would be two levels in such a way. Would also provide easier defendable spots (than just water surrounded) for possible PvP or challenge scenarios.
Good stuff! I would love that. Indeed it would be perfect to make more defendable strongholds and random cliffs in the terrain would just spruce it up a bit. Cheers!
ಠ_ಠ

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”