[0.15.9] Default save name overwrites different game

Bugs that are actually features.
YokoZar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.15.9] Default save name overwrites different game

Post by YokoZar »

This one has already cost tens of hours across multiple players. Anyone who has more than one game going at a time (say, a single and multiplayer save) is affected.

1) Start a new game in single or multiplayer, play for a while, save game with custom name, such as "Yokozar May Game".
2) Start a separate new game.
3) Save the game -- and note how default save name is "Yokozar May Game". If you click "save" it will overwrite a completely different game, the previous one you were playing.

What should instead happen is a generated name that doesn't conflict with anything, such as "New Game 4"

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.15.9] Default save name overwrites different game

Post by Loewchen »

This is not a bug as it is working as intended, if you want it changed, make a development suggestion.

MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MiniHerc »

Loewchen wrote:This is not a bug as it is working as intended, if you want it changed, make a development suggestion.
I disagree.
YokoZar wrote:This one has already cost tens of hours across multiple players. Anyone who has more than one game going at a time (say, a single and multiplayer save) is affected.

1) Start a new game in single or multiplayer, play for a while, save game with custom name, such as "Yokozar May Game".
2) Start a separate new game.
3) Save the game -- and note how default save name is "Yokozar May Game". If you click "save" it will overwrite a completely different game, the previous one you were playing.

What should instead happen is a generated name that doesn't conflict with anything, such as "New Game 4"
Definitely a bug and I hope this gets looked at.

YokoZar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by YokoZar »

"Working as implemented" is the phrase we use for this sort of bug around the office.

I'm struggling to come up with any sort of scenario where most users, or indeed any user, would want to entirely erase a completely different game. I doubt this was "designed" this way.

MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MiniHerc »

YokoZar wrote:"Working as implemented" is the phrase we use for this sort of bug around the office.

I'm struggling to come up with any sort of scenario where most users, or indeed any user, would want to entirely erase a completely different game. I doubt this was "designed" this way.
Seems to be a case of mishandling the save game name variable.

The way I'd do it is tie the save game name to the map seed and if the seed changes, revert to default UNLESS there is a saved game with the same seed, in which case use that name instead. Might just be needless complexity, though.

Bartimaeus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bartimaeus »

Nah... what makes sense is that if you load a game from a file ... your next save file name should point to that file ... but when you start a new game ... it should not point to any of the existing saves...
So load save_to from a save ... or initialise it with "New game" if started from a new game (simple as that)

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

Loewchen wrote:This is not a bug as it is working as intended, if you want it changed, make a development suggestion.
Just curious, but as a moderator, if something submitted as a bug actually falls under the development suggestion category, why wouldn't you simply move the post to that forum instead of into the 'not a bug' category? Instead, we have a UI issue that is glaring enough for some to consider it a bug (seriously, who would possibly intend for a user to be able to by default overwrite a save unrelated to their freshly started game, especially since there is no overwrite prompt?), but it ended up dead in the water since the OP was likely put off by the action enough to not bother pressing it further. In the end, everybody loses.
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

rorror
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rorror »

malventano wrote:
Just curious, but as a moderator, if something submitted as a bug actually falls under the development suggestion category, why wouldn't you simply move the post to that forum instead of into the 'not a bug' category? Instead, we have a UI issue that is glaring enough for some to consider it a bug (seriously, who would possibly intend for a user to be able to by default overwrite a save unrelated to their freshly started game, especially since there is no overwrite prompt?), but it ended up dead in the water since the OP was likely put off by the action enough to not bother pressing it further. In the end, everybody loses.
Agree with that, if not a bug, it should definityly end up on a ToDoList for version 0.16

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

rorror wrote:
malventano wrote:
Agree with that, if not a bug, it should definityly end up on a ToDoList for version 0.16
I've submitted it as a feature request here. Here's hoping it gets some traction.
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

This bug really needs to be fixed.

Unless the game intentionally trolls players with this malicious behavior.

Return to “Not a bug”