Food and sleep?

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

webkilla
Inserter
Inserter

Food and sleep?

Post by webkilla »

I searched - and didn't find any threads on this... maybe my google-fu is weak, but who knows?

Anyway, right now in the game you go weeks if not months on end, day and night, with no sleep and nothing to eat.

I'm suggesting three simple 3x3 buildings:

one would be an open-air farm plot. Needs a supply of water, but that's in. Generates food after being exposed to enough sunlight, growth functioning similar to power output from solar panels. Doesn't polute, but production is reduced if the air around it is poluted. Can't produce anything if things get too polluted.

Next up would be a hydroponics building. Doesn't care about pollution levels, but requires both water and electricity. Pollutes a tiny bit. Generates food at a constant rate, provided that water and power supply is constant. produces food faster than open air plot due to constant growth.

and there would of course be a food meter, but you should be able to carry around a big enough single stack of food that restocking shouldn't interfere too much with the gameplay - and going hungry should slowly drain your health, but not kill you. You're just a lot weaker when hungry, perhaps with a penalty to run speed as well?

Finally: a 'bedroom' - basically a small hut. Requires power, doesn't pollute. You 'enter' it like a vehicle. When you enter it you get the option to sleep until next dawn. You can't sleep if its still light outside.

If you sleep, the game will continue the simulation but speed it up greatly - and then you'll pop back in at dawn. So there's the risk of bug attack while you sleep, but its a handy way to get back to daylight quickly - also you heal injuries faster when sleeping.

Just an idea. It wouldn't change how the game is played that much - but I would like the option to sleep through the night, and the food thing would also give the player a rather tangible but subtle "Oh right, I have polluted my starting area to hell" reminder.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Food and sleep?

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=14638 Producing food / Herbalism / Health / Eat and Drink

See also the there linked throneroom and housing suggestions!
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

This game is about building factories.

To keep my response simple...
There's enough distraction from your tasks in the game as it is, I don't need to be pulled away from my building to worry about food and sleep while I'm trying to design and build a megafactory.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

tamanous
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tamanous »

There's a forums poll on this.

Personally, I'd like to see this classic element of survival games not implemented in vanilla. As a mod or scenario, though, I think this might be quite tempting to some players - but these mods are existing right now.

Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Selvek »

webkilla wrote: Anyway, right now in the game you go weeks if not months on end, day and night, with no sleep and nothing to eat.
Interesting. That's how I play the game too...

webkilla
Inserter
Inserter

Post by webkilla »

Selvek wrote:
webkilla wrote: Anyway, right now in the game you go weeks if not months on end, day and night, with no sleep and nothing to eat.
Interesting. That's how I play the game too...
doesn't mean that you should encourage it :p

but fair enough

and I wouldn't mind if it came as an option - but I would like the option

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Not in favor if turning Factorio into yet another survival-game-with-sleep-eat-thirst-and-other-meters-you-keep-having-to-refill. I consider those games akin to baby simulators (since those have similar needs and whine whenever one isn't met). I prefer to play Factorio as a logistics sim, that's what makes it fun for me. Perhaps a modder could take this on though, make it optional content for folks who want it?

agentgoblin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by agentgoblin »

Please don't. It's game about factory building and design, not about f***ing survival.
no god no

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”