Deforest er vehicle

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Atomicking74
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Deforest er vehicle

Post by Atomicking74 »

Hello,
We all know that trees are a pain and currently as of .15, there are two ways for clearing trees: by hand and construction bots.
I would like to propose an idea to clear trees faster by hand without bots, this idea being somewhere in between the two.
A vehicle that is roughly the speed and cost of the tank that can clear trees by driving into them. This vehicle can clear forest in sections of 4-10 tiles wide and optionally mine the wood from this deforestation.

It would give players a way to quickly deforest an area relativity soon in the game before the player starts building a large logistic network.

What do you all Think?

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Deforest er vehicle

Post by Tekky »

I believe the flamethrower is also rather effective at clearing forests. :-) The nuke is also pretty cool, but damn expensive. :-(

Adding a new vehicle to the vanilla game for the sole purpose of clearing forests does not seem worth it to me. I believe it would be more meaningful to give the tank the ability to do such things, for example by giving the tank an equipment grid (as is the case in Bob's Mods) and allowing you to put in a deforestation module.

Tym
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tym »

cluster grenades clear trees -very- effectively.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Why not to use the tank itself?

Atomicking74
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Atomicking74 »

Tekky wrote:I believe the flamethrower is also rather effective at clearing forests. :-) The nuke is also pretty cool, but damn expensive. :-(

Adding a new vehicle to the vanilla game for the sole purpose of clearing forests does not seem worth it to me. I believe it would be more meaningful to give the tank the ability to do such things, for example by giving the tank an equipment grid (as is the case in Bob's Mods) and allowing you to put in a deforestation module.

That idea is good, but what else could they add to support that approach in vanilla? I am sorry, I am still new to factorio mods

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=17734 New types of vehicles (train, tank, car, plane, ship...)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Anyone
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anyone »

I think this idea is good, especially if you can "mine" the trees like this (maybe not 100%) and they end up in the storage of your de-forester. Besides of mining them all by hand, there's no way to mine them. It's not like you need trees, but wood could be excellent in vanilla for multiple things (even cheap burning).

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Tank flamethrower is excellent at clearing trees. It kills them instantly and with around 5-6 tile wide range and unlike handheld flamethrower, it won't really set stuff on fire.
Of course, you won't be harvesting those trees

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

Atomicking74
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Atomicking74 »

AileTheAlien wrote:Bulldozer!
That might be little extreme...
and lose the resources like the tank

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

Atomicking74 wrote:lose the resources like the tank
Actually, there's a button[1] for the bulldozer, that makes it harvest resources instead of just destroying the things you run into.

[1] Or a checkmark or something. I haven't played with it in a while, since it was not updated for 0.15.

burner
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by burner »

I think there had been several topics about modular trains what allow install same items to it what you can install to suit. That probably will resolve this problem because then you can just install f* load of mobile robo ports to train and use deconstruction planner.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”