[0.15.11] Disabled Train Stations - circuit network

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Kilandor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.15.11] Disabled Train Stations - circuit network

Post by Kilandor »

So I had setup a supply train a few days ago on 0.15.10 and everything was working fine. Today after updating to 0.15.11 the train now gets stuck. I am aware of the output signal and will be making a slight adjustment but....I am not honestly sure if this will be considered a bug or not.

The way it worked was this. Train pulled into station with special item and stopped, because that item existed it would then disable the station. The train would still be considered stopped at the train station and send the contents to the circuit network. It would unload what it needed then after 5 seconds of inactivity move to the next station. This was done by having all the stations with the same name and on a single directional track. Thus the need to disable the station it was at so it would move to the next one. It worked flawlessly till the new update.

Now what I suspect is the problem and the only thing that makes sense is this. Now when the train stops at the station it disables it however I assume this is the point where it breaks. I think it stops sending the contents of the train to the network which then causes the station to enable again. Since the station it is at is the closest one and its enabled again, it stops back at it. Then the problem loops never ending.

The problem is amplified by this because the train never moves the inactivity timer never resets. Since I use a inactivity of 5 seconds it flickers and with every tick is trying to go to the next station.

You can see how fast its actually flickering in the full sized version
https://gfycat.com/EmotionalInformalCavy

Station setup

How to reproduce
1. Have stations all named the same add 2 of them to the list with a wait condition of inactivity 5 seconds (wait condition doesn't matter)
2. Send train contents to circuit network.
3. Wire something with inserters (doesn't matter)
4. Set Enable/Disable for train to something = 0
5. Set the train to auto and then it will goto that station and never be able to leave again.

I do realize their is another method to resolve this by adding another train station right past it and with the new output signals I can wire it to a pole so it sees itself and instantly leaves.....However I felt the solution I had was so much cleaner.

tl;dr
The train stations now no longer continue sending the contents of it to the circuit network if they become disabled after a train was stopped there.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.15.11] Disabled Train Stations - circuit network

Post by Aeternus »

Try adding a few rails behind the station to see the actual problem. The train isn't stopping there, it's simply hitting the end of the rail - and Factorio's automated trains aren't smart enough to reverse direction if a dualheaded train ends up on a dead end rail. System is working as designed - trains will skip disabled stations, but if the pathing has already put the train on the track leading to the station, it has little choice but to keep going. In this case, skipping the station results in the train hitting that dead end. It isn't reporting cargo content either since the train isn't actually "stopped" at the station.

Incidentally: Feature request. Make trains reverse direction if they are dualheaded, automated and are hitting a dead end for any reason.

Tami
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tami »

I dont know i understand you correct.

At first: A train can change direction while traveling if needed while dual headed.
My solution for killing a station is adding a 1500ms delay after a train reach a station, i use signals in opposite direction to check if a train is in the staiton or not. Regardless what the staion itself sends.
If a train is inside a station and you send the train to next station with same name and the departing station is not deactivated, the traveldistance is 0 and so the train loops with the station without moving.

Kilandor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kilandor »

Aeternus wrote:Try adding a few rails behind the station to see the actual problem. The train isn't stopping there, it's simply hitting the end of the rail - and Factorio's automated trains aren't smart enough to reverse direction if a dualheaded train ends up on a dead end rail. System is working as designed - trains will skip disabled stations, but if the pathing has already put the train on the track leading to the station, it has little choice but to keep going. In this case, skipping the station results in the train hitting that dead end. It isn't reporting cargo content either since the train isn't actually "stopped" at the station.

Incidentally: Feature request. Make trains reverse direction if they are dualheaded, automated and are hitting a dead end for any reason.
That wasn't an issue. Also trains can already function in this fashion. They can path from either direction and will look for a route from either end of the train and take it if found.
Tami wrote:I dont know i understand you correct.

At first: A train can change direction while traveling if needed while dual headed.
My solution for killing a station is adding a 1500ms delay after a train reach a station, i use signals in opposite direction to check if a train is in the staiton or not. Regardless what the staion itself sends.
If a train is inside a station and you send the train to next station with same name and the departing station is not deactivated, the traveldistance is 0 and so the train loops with the station without moving.
Well i've already made a simple adjustment by simply adding an "exit" station right after the current one for it to go to.
As for about the travel distance issue. In 0.15.10 it wasn't an issue Train comes in, station gets disabled it continues offloading and then leave that station to go to the next then it would re-enable behind it. It worked perfectly fine simple and sweet.

On another note i'm doing some further more detailed testing. I have already the video's of testing on 0.15.11 . I Am currently downloading 0.15.10 to go back and setup what I had working before to show a comparison. I will post up more results when I have them.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

It simply looks to me as if you have a train with two stations in its timetable and one of those stations is deactivated by circuit :?:

Kilandor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kilandor »

Ok so after downloading 15.10 again and testing i'm scraping what I had for my post I was working on the new video's show the issue very clearly. The trains are acting completely different at the station than in previous versions.

The blue train is 15.10 and the red train is 15.11

15.10 - No Circuit

https://gfycat.com/FlippantUnitedAchillestang

15.11 - No Circuit

https://gfycat.com/FabulousFondCirriped

As you can see in 15.10 the train stops animates and resets as well as the inactivity timer resets. Which it then goes through the whole steam/opening animation (this to me seems correct). In 15.11 You get none of that, and clearly the inactivity timer doesn't reset which is why it rapidly tries to go between the 2 stations in the list.

15.10 - Circuit

https://gfycat.com/DeadEquatorialHydatidtapeworm

15.11 - Circuit

https://gfycat.com/DopeyWearyCrow

Now you can clearly see the difference. 15.10 is working how I would expect and how I had it setup. 15.11 it just gets stuck like without a circuit. Yes the blue train cargo does have a landfill in it (I forgot to turn on detail view), and yes in the red train the station was set up identical sorry forgot to show that too.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

This should be fixed for 0.15.12.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”