[15.11] Mapzoom Bug

Bugs that are actually features.
Tami
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[15.11] Mapzoom Bug

Post by Tami »

The Mapzoom switch from mapmode to worldmode at very close range. the character view has a better zoomout than the mapzoom.

Mapview has around the half of vision of character view

Characterview

Mapview

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [15.11] Mapzoom Bug

Post by Klonan »

Thanks for the report,

This was an intentional change

Tami
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tami »

What was the purpose for this? To reduce the overview for a player?

I think you will not find any player that wish reduced overview, especially if the a factory grows in size and you search for parts of you factory.

Hobocop
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hobocop »

I'd like to know the intention behind this change as to me this feels like a fairly major inconvenience when it comes to troubleshooting a factory or otherwise checking on things.

Tami
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tami »

I recommend to add an option in the option to change the behavior for the map. Actually your change was a step back in my opinion and would like to see a change.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Tami wrote:I recommend to add an option in the option to change the behavior for the map. Actually your change was a step back in my opinion and would like to see a change.
In the next version the step size of zooming is reduced, so the zoom levels are less dramatic between the map, and the zoom to world, which should improve how the mechanic feels

rosilisk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rosilisk »

I really liked to manage my base remotely, especially when placing large solar farms. This change makes it much harder, independent of the smoothing between zoom levels. I'd like to add my voice to the people requesting the option to customize the zoom level, or simply revert the change.

credomane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by credomane »

Please revert this intentional change. It actually makes the map view harder to use. Complete opposite of what was desired. :(

mazzer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mazzer »

Klonan wrote:
Tami wrote:I recommend to add an option in the option to change the behavior for the map. Actually your change was a step back in my opinion and would like to see a change.
In the next version the step size of zooming is reduced, so the zoom levels are less dramatic between the map, and the zoom to world, which should improve how the mechanic feels
Am I correct in assuming the end result of this new change is the mapview will still be significantly more zoomed in than the character view? It's claustrophobic and nauseating how zoomed in it currently is. I play max zoomed out normally, and I use the map view zoom to check an overview of an area which this makes more difficult. As it currently is I now prefer to run across the map to check something than use the mapview. Please consider reverting it, giving us an option to have the old way or make it moddable.

ElectronicDrug
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ElectronicDrug »

Please revert. This just makes the map-view more annoying.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

I like it the way it is in 0.15.11. Zoom level for map camera view is roughly same as max zoomed out player, and map view on the closest zoom is showing so big pixels there is no missing any details.

From what i gather, people here want the player camera to start showing when zoomed even closer? How would that help debugging your setups?

mazzer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mazzer »

Zaflis wrote:I like it the way it is in 0.15.11. Zoom level for map camera view is roughly same as max zoomed out player, and map view on the closest zoom is showing so big pixels there is no missing any details.

From what i gather, people here want the player camera to start showing when zoomed even closer? How would that help debugging your setups?
The map camera view is no where near roughly the same as max zoomed out player. Look at the OP image comparison of the two. We want the map camera view zoom lvl to match the max character zoom out which it doesn't even come to close to at the moment.

justarandomgeek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by justarandomgeek »

Yeah, max zoomout on map view is now significantly smaller than max zoomout as a player, which seems (to me at least) to defeat a lot of the purpose of using map view to look at larger areas quickly...

Edit: even in 0.15.12, it's still a full chunk less visible space in max-zoom map view than max-zoom character view.
Last edited by justarandomgeek on Thu May 18, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

The next version sounds like fixing the problem. But it's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be, about 30% less shown though. This is from map:

edit: 0.15.12 came, and roughly 5.1 chunks show horizontally.
Attachments
map_zoom.jpg
map_zoom.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 7896 times
Last edited by Zaflis on Thu May 18, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justarandomgeek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by justarandomgeek »

With the grid turned on, I can get 6.5 chunks horizontally across the screen. In map view, the most I can see is a hair over 5 chunks horizontally. Map view should show *more*, not *less*. (much like spanning horizontally across multiple monitors, but that's a separate complaint...)

H8UL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by H8UL »

Can't we just get a toggle between the views? This gives the most control to the player, and I don't think the way that it automatically switches will ever feel good anyway.
Shameless mod plugging: Ribbon Maze

Blackraz0r
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Blackraz0r »

Still the same.

Don't know what the patch have changed, but it has nothing to do with the initial Problem.

Normal View:

Map View:

Is there a way to mod this? I was super excited for the new map features until this change.
Please at least consider to give us a possibility to set a max-zoom factor in setting.

It doesn't make any sense that you can look further away without map that with map.
(Oh my and please don't get the evil idea to limit the zoom in nonmapview)

credomane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by credomane »

H8UL wrote:Can't we just get a toggle between the views? This gives the most control to the player, and I don't think the way that it automatically switches will ever feel good anyway.
I thought the automatic switch felt near perfect pre-0.15.11. In 0.15.11 it is more a hindrance than a feature. Haven't tried 0.15.12 yet but it looks close enough to viable. Make the map view show 2-3 more chunks over the max player zoom out and it will be viable.

If my blueprints get much larger than that and I start building "calibration targets" into my blueprints anyways to aid in alignment and placing. :P

I do agree though adding in a slider somewhere to adjust the max zoom out on zoom-to-real map view is would be for the best. Everyone wins.
Perhaps make the min be a 4x4 chunk area and the max be a 16x16 chunk area (perhaps larger?) appear on screen as zoom-to-real view.

Nebelwolfi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nebelwolfi »

Hi

please increase the map view max zoom level to a value over player zoom level :?

Thank You

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

credomane wrote:Haven't tried 0.15.12 yet but it looks close enough to viable. Make the map view show 2-3 more chunks over the max player zoom out and it will be viable
It didn't really change that much in 0.15.12, at least it doesn't appear to be a useful as it was in <0.15.10. It is still a step in a better direction though after comparing them myself.
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

Return to “Not a bug”