Double-slider for personal logistic requests/trashing

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Double-slider for personal logistic requests/trashing

Post by Avezo »

This QoL improvement for logistic auto-requests and auto-trashing idea is to put them both on single slider in the same tab. Picture in attachment speaks more than words. It also eliminates problem of bots getting confused when you try to trash more items than you request.
Attachments
20170512031909_1.jpg
20170512031909_1.jpg (485.54 KiB) Viewed 3225 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Double-slider for personal logistic requests/trashing

Post by Rseding91 »

This would require a complete re-work of how the requester/trash system works on the character and that isn't likely to happen anytime soon.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Wouldn't an option trash above request size as in the auto trash mod also suffice?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I see this in conjunction with a whole rework of the inventory.

Like:
- Own slots for robots in the personal roboport.
- Slots for a fast change of the power suit (switch between differently configured power suits).
- The whole quick-bar handling, filters, etc.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

justarandomgeek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by justarandomgeek »

It would be nice if Autotrash worked like the mod that it (half-assed) replaced, where the trash level was floored to the request level - so if you set the trash level for something to 0 it wouldn't trash the ones you'd requested, only the *excess*.

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

Rseding91 wrote:This would require a complete re-work of how the requester/trash system works on the character and that isn't likely to happen anytime soon.
What about a design using two boxes/sliders which functioned independently but intelligently prevented illogical bounds by resetting (and thus graying out (but not locking)) the request or trash setting when the user set the opposing value past the threshold of logicality?

Request/Trash thresholds could function the same way internally--as they'd continue to be optional for each item in the Logistics panel.
To add to this, the same argument people have raised against tabs for the various F1/F2/F3 views applies to the current Logistics Requests/Autotrash pane as well. Merging them into a single UI with sliders (I would argue for separate boxes/sliders for Min and Max. Setting one of them past the current threshold of the other causes the other to reset and become inactive/faded.) would greatly improve the personal logistics user interaction, and prevent the illogical "Trash < Request" situation entirely. Each item could have a Trash Over value in the upper half of its Logistics slot, and a Request value in the lower half (colors matching the equivalent logistic chests--educational! 8-) ). To really make people happy, the top of the Logistics pane would have a Profile creation/selection/deletion dropdown--saved between games, along with the new "task-focused" toolbelt bars.
viewtopic.php?p=278589#p278589

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

Most of the time I auto Trash because I want 0 of an item ever to stay in inventory and your method uses up my request slots with things I really don't want or need (so wood, ores, old levels of belts, assemblers and modules, things I just want recycled into my system) while flooring the items in inventory to the request count would preclude me from picking up a bunch of stuff to go build something I like keeping 50 miners in my inventory just incase but I want to mine out a 1, 2 or 3m+ field and deliberately pick up an extra stack because I'm heading well out of logistics range I don't want it stolen by autotrash, I agree there are times when the auto trash mod works but more often than not it prevents me doing things that vanilla lets me do. Having 2 tabs might suck a little but having the one for things I don't need to think about anymore out of sight unless I need it makes super sense to me.

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

Oh, right, an unmentioned assumption: The logistic slots would become more like the Autotrash slots, allowing more, or even unlimited numbers with enough tech.

Definitely don't want to reduce the number of logistic slots; if you read the rest of my linked comment, I wish there were Logistic Profiles you could switch between. Each with their own lists of Min/Max values, allowing you to switch between building projects with ease!

The tech could change to merge Request and Trash researches, giving 2x as much of each per research, and then eventually unlock the profiles for maximum flexibility.

People who wish the AutoTrash had a "disable" button could use an empty profile for the same effect!

WIZ4
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by WIZ4 »

Devs, can we see this function in the new inventory improvements?
My native language is russian. Sorry if my messages are difficult to read.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”