Biters ARE Worms

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
ShaiTan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Biters ARE Worms

Post by ShaiTan »

So I was clearing out some Biter nests around my factory, (well being chased by a horde of Biters after killing the last spawner) and as I was leading them back to an area filled with turrets I see another large-ish group(about 20 it total, all sizes) running across my path ahead of me. Now being the sane and rational person I am I do what any person would do, I run right at them shooting and trying to get them to follow me into my well laid trap. Nothing, they keep running, so I follow them. I want to know where the buggy bastards are going in such a hurry now. So I follow them, and they just STOP, and I mean they STOP they don't move an inch, not even shift a little.

So as I am still being chased by a horde of Biters, I fire off a missile into the group that has frozen in place and run off to spring my trap. One quick mini-genocide later I return to the spot where the the Biters froze in place, and they are STILL there! They haven't moved at all (I did however blow up a little one with my hastily launched missile :cry: so sad) so I have at this point assumed that this group of Biters was just a buggy bit of code and I walk up to them to put the poor things out of their glitched misery. So I go about murdering them, the little ones die quick but it is taking me a little to kill the big/medium ones. Then a big Biter just vanishes, (POOF just gone, I didn't even shoot it once) and a big worm is now in the middle of the group, shooting it's acid spit at me.

I back off, the worm is my target now, (it is actually fighting back unlike the baby seal Biters I was clubbing) then I see a few more disappear, more worms, another big one and a medium one. I bust out the missile launcher and carpet-bomb the rest of them. End of encounter and I realize what I just saw, and the implications. Biters can BECOME Worms, maybe if I had not killed so many it may have even become a nest with a spawner.

If I am right, this means areas that have be cleared out can become repopulated with Biters or at least little pockets of Worm-traps.

Teurlinx
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Biters ARE Worms

Post by Teurlinx »

Known issue that biters get stuck if too many are on the map simultaneously. Once numbers get lower (or you get close to them) they should get unstuck.

ShaiTan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ShaiTan »

I can assure you they were not stuck, I shot at them, point blank.

Teurlinx
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Teurlinx »

ShaiTan wrote:I can assure you they were not stuck, I shot at them, point blank.
When there's too many biters they just stop moving, i.e. get stuck.

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by muzzy »

Well, biters do repopulate areas and create new nests. They form a group of runners and go to some random place, running straight through your base sometimes...

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

ShaiTan wrote: If I am right, this means areas that have be cleared out can become repopulated with Biters or at least little pockets of Worm-traps.
yes

The problems I have with how they do this is that they are not distracted by the player/damage, which A) makes it 'easy' to kill them, B) unrealistic, and C) prone to people thinking it's a coding bug, especially with the fact that biter AI can freeze :lol:
The other (slight) issue I have is that I'd prefer if there was a 'queen' biter that actually turned into the spawner...but that's personal preference more than anything else

ShaiTan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ShaiTan »

muzzy wrote:Well, biters do repopulate areas and create new nests. They form a group of runners and go to some random place, running straight through your base sometimes...
That seems to fit with what I saw, what surprised me was the Biters changing into Worms, and the idea that they can recreate spawners.

ShaiTan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ShaiTan »

FreeER wrote: The other (slight) issue I have is that I'd prefer if there was a 'queen' biter that actually turned into the spawner...but that's personal preference more than anything else
That sounds really cool, plus it is a bit more realistic as they do seem to mimic insects. Plus that would make it easy to spot a runner group and differentiate it from a group your machines have aggro'ed.

Umbru
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Umbru »

Animation for the biters settling bases is on the to do list. I don't know if they are planning on tweaking the settling behavior.

Return to “General discussion”