Complete 2-Lane system RHD as a Blueprint-Book! Suggestions?

Smart setups of railway stations, intelligent routing, solutions to complex train-routing problems.
Please provide - only if it makes sense of course - a blueprint of your creation.
Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Complete 2-Lane system RHD as a Blueprint-Book! Suggestions?

Post by Distelzombie »

CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES!

Hi There!

I took my time and build an entire 2-Lane system as a Blueprint-Puzzle. I think it has everything you would ever want.

Currently only RHD available. (Right-hand-drive)

Features:
- The train unload is balanced an fills two blue belts or pipes. (Made for 1-2-1 trains)
- The train load is balanced. Even tankwagon loading is balanced (Made for 1-2-1 trains)
- The stacker can be stacked (so meta)
- I avoided loops. Everything is linear
- Blueprints are named for easy identification
- An assembled train stacker-to-station part is included as an example in the train station book
- 11 different train stations (Ore, Fluid, Uranium)
- 18 different rail segments (All with red and green wires)
- two different 4-way junctions. One for high throughput and a smaller one.
- Special uranium train stations with chests and tanks for acid
- Two safe-railroad crossings by my design
- For completeness: Mining drills

4-way intersection are from this thread: Shout outs to maurojunior2011. He made a thread with billions of blueprints, but his 2-Lane system book was not really useful. So I made my own. Everything except the 4-way junctions is my design.
His thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=46053
Blueprint book - RAILS v.1.05
Blueprint book - TRAIN STATIONS v.1.07

Do you have any Suggestions? Do you see problems?
Attachments
Entire-2-LaneSystem.png
Entire-2-LaneSystem.png (19.42 KiB) Viewed 165438 times
Last edited by Distelzombie on Sun May 14, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Complete 2-Lane system as a Blueprint-Book! The perfect OCD reactor? Testing chained science lab efficiency Please use real prefixes and proper rounding!

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Entire 2-Lane system as a Blueprint-Puzzle! Suggestions?

Post by Distelzombie »

I found that i need some fluid-handling train stops. Im doing them when I wake up. I'll update the initial post.

UPDATE: Newest Version available! Now with Fluid- and special uranium-stations.
UPDATE: I optimized fluid loading stations to be balanced using fluid splitter and did some minor changes to other stations
UPDATE: Included safe-railroad crossings and a mining blueprint for completeness. (Stations book v1.03)
UPDATE: Changed some junctions to use more signals (Rails book v1.01)
UPDATE: Found a bug in the 2 lane railroad crossing and fixed it. (Stations book v1.04)
UPDATE: Fluid unload station was stupid. Changed it. (Stations book v1.05)
UPDATE: Added some power poles to the fluid unload station that I forgot. (Stations book v1.06)
UPDATE: Included a second 4-way junction for high-throughput demands and changed the smaller one to different design thats better. (Rails book v1.03)
UPDATE: Added changed design of the 4-way junction from the mentioned thread. Also included a different 2-to-1-junction with buffer for outposts since I found its sometimes needed (Rails book v1.04)
UPDATE: Compressed stacker to hold more trains in less tiles (Stations book v1.07)
UPDATE: Included red and green wires in every rail blueprint. (Rails book v1.05)
Last edited by Distelzombie on Sun May 14, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Complete 2-Lane system as a Blueprint-Book! The perfect OCD reactor? Testing chained science lab efficiency Please use real prefixes and proper rounding!

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Complete 2-Lane system as a Blueprint-Book! Suggestions?

Post by quinor »

Have you heard of chunk-aligned railways? Makes it way easier to plan stuff, I've made proof of concept (viewtopic.php?f=194&t=41486) but it certainly needs some polish :)

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

quinor wrote:Have you heard of chunk-aligned railways? Makes it way easier to plan stuff, I've made proof of concept (viewtopic.php?f=194&t=41486) but it certainly needs some polish :)
I just made sure they all fit together like pieces of a puzzle - aligned by the power poles. (They are mostly at max distance) I think it is pretty OCD friendly. I took extra time because of mine. ;)
You didn't made it clear why it has to be a chunk in size. First I guessed because some underlying game-mechanic (like in ... was it pipes? ... theres another thing thats better be aligned to chunks.) but now I think it doesnt matter as long as the fit together? Of course, it took a while to make them all compatible, but it works this way too.
I'll take a look at this chunk stuff later

EDIT: Oh, I guess its better because everything has a certain size? Like all curves are a wide as trainstations or junctions... hm

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

They also line up with in-game chunk grid (visible on the pause screen, or if you enable it in the debug menu).

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

torne wrote:They also line up with in-game chunk grid (visible on the pause screen, or if you enable it in the debug menu).
What does?

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Could we keep discussion of the chunk aligned system in the chunk aligned thread, please?

nemostein
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nemostein »

I'll definitely try this one... It looks cute. ^__^
"I'd say the main bottleneck is sleep." - AndrewIRL

mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mophydeen »

I'll take a look this evening. Looking for a safe crossing blueprint.

A few remarks:
Is it worth doing diagonal? I always do vertical/horizontal only.
I also prefer the signals between the tracks and LLCCCC.
Distelzombie wrote: - 11 different train stations (Ore, Fluid, Uranium)
Ores are Ores no ? except for uranium/acid mining station.

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

mophydeen wrote:I'll take a look this evening. Looking for a safe crossing blueprint.

A few remarks:
Is it worth doing diagonal? I always do vertical/horizontal only.
I also prefer the signals between the tracks and LLCCCC.
Distelzombie wrote: - 11 different train stations (Ore, Fluid, Uranium)
Ores are Ores no ? except for uranium/acid mining station.
- Maybe im doing LHD too later.
- LLCCCC? lok-lok-cargo*4? Then you cant use any of my Blueprints for stations without alteration.
- It sometimes saves tracks to go diagonal.
- ores...are ores??? The number includes uranium/acid stations. (3: left/right load and unload)
- the crossings are good. But you have to decide if you want to close the door on the track or not. Sometimes thats not a good idea.

quinor wrote:Have you heard of chunk-aligned railways? Makes it way easier to plan stuff, I've made proof of concept (viewtopic.php?f=194&t=41486) but it certainly needs some polish :)
I looked into alignment, but some of them already are and, unfortunately, big power poles dont span a chunk long. So, no use doing any work there, i think.

nemostein
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Complete 2-Lane system RHD as a Blueprint-Book! Suggestions?

Post by nemostein »

In you TRAIN STATIONS (V.1.06) book, the Train Station IO can only enter/exit from/to one direction.
I think that it should allow both ways, something like this:
stationIO.png
stationIO.png (201.71 KiB) Viewed 165199 times
ps: Forgive if my sinal/chain are bad placed, I didn't try this layout.
"I'd say the main bottleneck is sleep." - AndrewIRL

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

nemostein wrote:In you TRAIN STATIONS (V.1.06) book, the Train Station IO can only enter/exit from/to one direction.
I think that it should allow both ways, something like this:
The attachment stationIO.png is no longer available
ps: Forgive if my sinal/chain are bad placed, I didn't try this layout.
In the rails book is this exact segment. ;) I use it for outposts.

If you use an exit to the top you have to have extra rails there. This would probably create a loop. I try to avoid loops for some reason. (rumors?)
If you want to have a second input on top you have to have another stacker. Isnt this messy? I dont know.

I build a test setup a while ago to test these blueprints better. Thats why i changed the 4-way and stuff...
Anyway I use this configuration:
Attachments
test rails.png
test rails.png (12.85 KiB) Viewed 165175 times

KampfGorilla93
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by KampfGorilla93 »

Very Nice Blueprint book.
I merged this book and my self made train network. I added to your book some lamps, green and red circuits. Also improved for easy 4 line upgrade. 2 Rail System is done, 4 belt under work. Should is post some pictures and blueprints?

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

KampfGorilla93 wrote:Very Nice Blueprint book.
I merged this book and my self made train network. I added to your book some lamps, green and red circuits. Also improved for easy 4 line upgrade. 2 Rail System is done, 4 belt under work. Should is post some pictures and blueprints?
Oh yea. I wanted to include circuits too. I forget this all the time. xD
What did you improve for 4-lane upgrade?

KampfGorilla93
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by KampfGorilla93 »

i cutted some rails, and changed the signals, to make it 4 belt compatible. Still under work. 2 Lane belt so far is finished.

Edit: i realy like your intersections (45°)

should i post some images and blueprints?

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

KampfGorilla93 wrote:i cutted some rails, and changed the signals, to make it 4 belt compatible. Still under work. 2 Lane belt so far is finished.

Edit: i realy like your intersections (45°)

should i post some images and blueprints?
Belts? Do you mean rails? Yea, poat a picture. Because i have no idea why belts.

Oh yeah before i forgot:
KampfGorilla93 wrote:Very Nice Blueprint book.
I merged this book and my self made train network.
What did you add to it?

justincuster
Inserter
Inserter

Post by justincuster »

Thank you! I look forward to trying this out the next time I get some playtime.
- Justin -

KampfGorilla93
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by KampfGorilla93 »

Yep i meant upgrade 2 lane in 4 lane system.
Looks like you added red wires? Well done!

Here you can find some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/qhzsA
2 Lane System UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Hope you like it. :)

Distelzombie
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Distelzombie »

If I understand that correctly you need the lights to block the otherwise wrong placed signal when upgrading to 4 lanes with the 2 lane blueprint? I dont like the lights though. Its a huge cost.

If I use the placement of your signals/length of your tracks it wouldnt work with the 1-2-1 trains the blueprint book is build for. Also most people would probably use 2-4-2 trains in late games since your trains would be artificially slowed down by lack of locomotives. And then my system works too because 2-4-2 is double 1-2-1.

But its a good idea. I'll always hated to place a signal at the entrance of a junction just to tear it up again before I place the junction. Only one signal on each side of the section is a better solution that two signals on one side. I'll change this and then I'll look what I can do to about upgrading compatibility

Stupid thing is: The bigger the book the more work it is to change stuff.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Distelzombie wrote:If I understand that correctly you need the lights to block the otherwise wrong placed signal when upgrading to 4 lanes with the 2 lane blueprint? I dont like the lights though. Its a huge cost.

Stupid thing is: The bigger the book the more work it is to change stuff.
https://github.com/sparr/factorio-blueprint-compendium/

Part of this project includes writing tools to modify whole blueprint books at once outside of the game.

Return to “Railway Setups”