Introduce RTS elements to the game

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Tossi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Introduce RTS elements to the game

Post by Tossi »

TL;DR
Make it so player can produce combat units that he can control like in RTS games.
What ?
Here is how it would work: Player builds a building that he can produce units from like in RTS games, let's call it Soldier Factory. Then he gives those units simple commands like attack here, move there, patrol from here to here etc. just like in RTS games. There could be a couple different types of those units and buildings producing them. Also player should be limited in how many of those units he can make by the existence of another building that is required to control those units, we could call it AI control center. And there could be another building that would limit the area in which those units can operate we could call it AI control tower, so you can't just walk with them to the end of the map. And a couple of unit ideas that I think would fit nicely:

AI Soldier: Small units that just walks around and shoots things with machine gun doing not too big damage, have little HP. Best used in swarms against not so tough enemies so the enemies die before they can reach soldiers. Inspired by marine from Starcraft.
AI Flamecaster: Also a small unit but with a bit of armor so it can last a little bit longer if aliens get to it. Uses short range flame thrower that does AOE damage. Inspired by Firebat from Starcraft.
AI Dropship: Can be loaded with other units to move them around the map swiftly so they don't run into trains or have hard time pathing around buildings, can cross lakes and land on islands if you play with lot of water. Inspired by dropships from Starcraft.
AI Tank: Tough big unit that can take a decent amount of damage. Have two modes of operation: 1 - it is mobile, does a lot of damage to a single target at a medium range, 2 - gets immobile, does a big splash damage at a long range. Inspired by Siege Tank from Starcraft.
Why ?
Because late game when you have a big (huge?, enormous?) factory bitters attacks are something annoying. And the big issue with those attacks late game is that you simply have to go there. Once you get there you are strong enough to steamroll it. So that part of the game is currently not interesting and not challenging and not engaging and ultimately not fun. I realise that there are some mods and suggestions that are more or less similiar but I was unable to find anything that would be exactly like what I propose. Also this idea came to me sometime after watching this moment of a video: https://youtu.be/dCrjXs8GSQI?t=1h15m29s

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Introduce RTS elements to the game

Post by British_Petroleum »

devs have seriously considered this:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6

Mendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mendel »

I would prefer armies that you do not need to control in rts fashion, as in automated armies.

I think combination of artillery train (that is yet to be made for vanilla) and robot army mod (https://mods.factorio.com/mods/kyranzor/robotarmy) would be mostly sufficient... unless you really, really want the direct control over the units for some reason. edit: Then theres this viewtopic.php?f=93&t=38475
(not sure if or when the mods are 0.15 compatible though)
edit2: poster below beat me to posting about the second mod :)
Last edited by Mendel on Sun May 14, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

closest thing we have at the moment is the AAI vehicles mod; a really well made mod; includes several combat vehicles, and you can control them as you would in an rts. You can even automate them with combinators, however there's a bit of a learning curve

edit:
heres the link
viewtopic.php?f=93&t=38475

Tossi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Tossi »

British_Petroleum wrote:devs have seriously considered this:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6
I see. It seems like I must work on my searching skills. I am going to read that.

It looks like it was burried under a ton of other similiar stuff. I wonder what is the current stand of the developers on this idea.

Also the mod you mentioned has a lot of non combat stuff that I am not really fond of.

Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lav »

Clearly there's only one type of army that fits Factorio theme. :-)
The Army

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”