Porting Factorio (standalone) to Steam?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
opencircut74
Inserter
Inserter

Porting Factorio (standalone) to Steam?

Post by opencircut74 »

Hello, I bought the game a while back, and found that the standalone version is great to take around on something like a USB, but is not good at all when it comes to downloading the game on to a computer. For this reason, along with the fact that it would be much easier to play off of Steam, compels me to ask if there is a way to port the Factorio standalone version on to the official Factorio of Steam. I know there is a way to make it show up on steam, and I have done that, but that only creates a shortcut in your computer, not a cloud-based save. I think that, since I already bought the game, I should be able to do this.

Thank you,

Opencircut74
Master of using up all of my resources on accumulators and batteries.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Porting Factorio (standalone) to Steam?

Post by TruePikachu »

If you bought the game from factorio.com (note: not a 3rd-party site), you have the option of obtaining a Steam key.

ChoMar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ChoMar »

I think you also can get a factorio.com login with download option if you got the Steam or GOG Version.
As far as i remember, I bought the game on Steam and linked it here...
Mytronix Entertainment

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

ChoMar wrote:I think you also can get a factorio.com login with download option if you got the Steam or GOG Version.
Indeed.
But the best is to buy from the developers site. Then you have ALL the options you want.
Direct download, hassle free auto updates, steam and GOG keys.
And the developers don't have to share a cut from the revenues with the intermediarys.

opencircut74
Inserter
Inserter

Post by opencircut74 »

I did manage to get the steam key and port it to steam. It was buried in the FAQ section of the website, but after I found it it was a breeze.Thank you, I have to go play Factorio now. ;)
Master of using up all of my resources on accumulators and batteries.

purdueme91
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by purdueme91 »

ChoMar wrote:I think you also can get a factorio.com login with download option if you got the Steam or GOG Version.
I did this last week to resolve the 15.X launching issue. You just link your Steam account to your Factorio account and you can get the direct download. I think the issues I was having with Steam is that it won't sync the files anymore. The times it did launch was immediately after it completed a sync. They did mention in the FAQ that having your factorio username the same as your Steam name made it easier.

In_Rust_I_Trust
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by In_Rust_I_Trust »

Sorry if I'm reviving a dead topic, but I think the question I want answered is pretty closely related to this.

After looking in to this game for the past couple of days, I want to buy it. The thing is, I want to have a version I can bring around with a thumb drive as well as an automatically updating version for steam.

I've seen the game on GOG, Humble Bundle, and Steam. Which version do I get to make this happen? Is Humble Bundle the same whether I get it from the Humble site or use their widget on the webpage?

The FAQ seems to say I can go from the Standalone version I get from the site to a Steam key, and also from the Steam purchase to the standalone, but what about getting it from the Humble Bundle website itself?

The GOG version appears to be a dead end for this, from what I understand.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

The portable version is obtained on the Factorio website (zip version), the Steam version is obtained through the Steam client. You are allowed to have both versions for one price.

GOG and Steam are incompatible. So if you want to have a Steam version, don't buy on GOG.

Steam, Humble Bundle and Factorio.com will all give you access to both versions. Go to https://www.factorio.com/profile to link Steam and Factorio.com accounts.

I recommend buying on Factorio.com (Humble Bundle widget), since the developers get a bigger cut of the money.

In_Rust_I_Trust
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by In_Rust_I_Trust »

Thanks for the advice.

I got it using the Humble Bundle Widget on the website, and ended up binging the game for around 20 hours straight, I think. This is one of the first times that's really happened to this degree.

Return to “General discussion”