0.15.9 [Harkonnen] Binding Close Window to Left Click

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
NeilN
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

0.15.9 [Harkonnen] Binding Close Window to Left Click

Post by NeilN »

1. Bind Close Window to Left Click
2. Clicks work as they should. Clicking inside window works as normal, clicking outside window closes window
3. Close game and reload.
4. Now all clicks (inside window and outside window) close window.

Re-binding Close Window to something else and the re-binding to left click fixes the issue for that game session.

Harkonnen
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: 0.15.9 - Binding Close Window to Left Click

Post by Harkonnen »

I suppose case 4 is "expected" behavior if you bind thing like that to left-click, but will the game be usable? So in my opinion the bug is that we allow binding left-click to such activity at all.

NeilN
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NeilN »

This worked properly in .13 and .14.

Please do not take away the ability to bind left-click. To see why, try playing Factorio with one hand for a few hours and see how often you have to move your hand from the keyboard and mouse and vice versa.

Harkonnen
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Harkonnen »

What if you bind close-window to middle-click?

NeilN
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NeilN »

Possible but it takes more coordination to click the middle button and I usually wind up scrolling. Is there a reason why the behaviour in .13 and .14 (and .15 after the re-rebind process is done) can't be kept? It's almost exactly what I need. Left-click in window to pick up item, left-click outside window to dismiss window while still holding item.

If you have to "fix" this then what would be amazing are these UI tweaks:
Left click on center of toolbelt (the dark grey part) to bring up inventory window.
Right click on any unused part (the dark grey part) of any window to close it.

Harkonnen
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Harkonnen »

I will look into it, but it would be hard to maintain such mouseclick behavior in code and not break it again and again - every time you click something inside window or some topmost window or any other thing in GUI will have to be aware not to close GUI until left-click happens above the game view. Another way to solve this problem could be binding close-window to keypad enter for right thumb or have some similar solution with corner keys on the keyboard very close to mouse.

NeilN
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: 0.15.9 [Harkonnen] Binding Close Window to Left Click

Post by NeilN »

Okay, thank you. Kind of strange the behavior I'm requesting works (albeit now with a re-rebind in .15). Good job whoever introduced that "bug"! :D

Harkonnen
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Harkonnen »

I have spotted the bugger already :) It was controls config review which changed the order of priority of left-clicks when it's bound to more than one thing. Still it's a bug that changing it in controls menu leads to different behavior than loading game from the scratch, so fix is on the way :)

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

Wanted to chime in and say that I appreciate you going after this one-off bug rather than shutting it down. There may not be a huge population of gamers with unique needs (colorblindness, one hand, deafness), but there are plenty of them and it's always classy to see when they're not ignored.

I know many of them will opt not to buy a game if they know their needs aren't catered to because it's frustrating, and will buy other games they may not enjoy as much if they can at least eliminate the frustration of something like colorblindness or having a visual alert for an audible alert.

Harkonnen
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Harkonnen »

NeilN
I've finally reached this issue on my todo, but for some reason can no longer replicate this problem with 0.15.16 (there were some gui-related changes, so they could fix this as side-effect). Please confirm that on your side.

NeilN
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NeilN »

I noticed this was fixed early(?) last week so I chalked it up to your quick work. :)

Harkonnen
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Harkonnen »

Well, if that shows up again, feel free to remind in this thread :) I'll notice that faster due to subscription.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”