conveyor and pipe path highlighting

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

goertzenator
Inserter
Inserter

conveyor and pipe path highlighting

Post by goertzenator »

In ALT-mode when hovering the mouse over a pipe or conveyor belt, all connected pipes/belts should highlight with a yellow outline. In tangled networks, especially networks with a lot of underground sections, it takes a fair bit of mental effort to follow the route. This would be a great tool for verifying that you hooked things up properly.

Inspired by this discussion: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=5&t=3586

Chthon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: conveyor and pipe path highlighting

Post by Chthon »

goertzenator wrote:In ALT-mode when hovering the mouse over a pipe or conveyor belt, all connected pipes/belts should highlight with a yellow outline. In tangled networks, especially networks with a lot of underground sections, it takes a fair bit of mental effort to follow the route. This would be a great tool for verifying that you hooked things up properly.

Inspired by this discussion: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=5&t=3586
The outlines do not show which way belts are moving, and I've seen players easily get mixed up when placing the entrances and exits. The current design should be redesigned to be easier to the player.

I do not support this, and would rather have an underground overlay that shows everything that is underground when working with it, and easier methods to place belts and pipes underground rather than having to connect two points and then try to figure out why they won't connect when they refuse to.

Please see my thread which is linked to in the OP for my suggested change and why.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

Chthon wrote: The outlines do not show which way belts are moving
Yes they do - they have these triangle thingies specifying direction of travel.

Edit:

Chthon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chthon »

Garm wrote:
Chthon wrote: The outlines do not show which way belts are moving
Yes they do - they have these triangle thingies specifying direction of travel.

Edit:

Ok, you're right about when hovering over, but when placing them, there is no indicator. My comment stands for designing constructions as you cannot see which way the belts are going which trips players up.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Chthon wrote:I do not support this, and would rather have an underground overlay that shows everything that is underground when working with it, and easier methods to place belts and pipes underground rather than having to connect two points and then try to figure out why they won't connect when they refuse to.

Please see my thread which is linked to in the OP for my suggested change and why.
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 503#p26503
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

Chthon wrote:
Ok, you're right about when hovering over, but when placing them, there is no indicator. My comment stands for designing constructions as you cannot see which way the belts are going which trips players up.
Yes there is an indicator

Chthon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chthon »

Garm wrote:
Chthon wrote:
Yes there is an indicator

When placing a new underground conveyor, all I see is solid lines between the entrance and exit, and it has been such for everyone I see stream it. The only reason I don't make mistakes more often is because I learned you place the entrance first.

goertzenator
Inserter
Inserter

Post by goertzenator »

A picture is worth a 1000 words, so here is what I mean:
fact_route_highlight.jpg
fact_route_highlight.jpg (83.34 KiB) Viewed 2847 times
Hover the mouse over a belt and all connected belts highlight.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”