Topics and discussion about specific mods
GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.15, 0.16] Nuclear Locomotives

Post by GotLag »

Nuclear Locomotives

A simple mod, adds nuclear locomotives which run on nuclear fuel:

Nuclear locomotives weigh twice as much but are also twice as powerful. This means that a nuclear locomotive with no cargo wagons will accelerate slower than a locomotive running solid fuel, but a nuclear locomotive pulling four fluid wagons will accelerate faster than a locomotive running rocket fuel. Nuclear locomotives also have a 25% increase to their top speed (solid fuel gives a 5% bonus, rocket fuel 15%).

As of 1.1.2, the inserter issue preventing removal of spent fuel has been fixed. Locomotives now use normal uranium fuel cells again, and I have removed the custom fuel from the mod. Any existing stocks you have (including in locomoitves) will automatically be converted to uranium fuel cells. Note that this update requires Factorio 0.15.7.

Nuclear locomotives technology is available when both Nuclear power and Railway have been researched.

Crafting Recipe
  • 20 electric engine units
  • 30 steel plates
  • 10 advanced circuits
  • 10 copper plates
Known Issues
Inserters currently do not recognise spent fuel inventories as outputs to take items from, so spent fuel must be manually removed. This is a Factorio problem, not something I can fix.

Version History
  • 1.1.3 - 2017/12/15 - Updated to Factorio 0.16
  • 1.1.2 - 2017/05/05 - Inserter issue resolved, removed now-unnecessary custom fuel
  • 1.1.1 - 2017/05/03 - Increased top speed 25%
  • 1.1.0 - 2017/04/30 - Added custom fuel as inserters can't remove spent fuel from vehicles
  • 1.0.2 - 2017/04/26 - Adjusted locomotive power and weight
  • 1.0.1 - 2017/04/25 - Remembered to remove smoke
  • 1.0.0 - 2017/04/25 - Initial release
Last edited by GotLag on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.

halkion
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.15] Nuclear Locomotives

Post by halkion »

My filtered inserters cannot seem to grab the spent fuel containers from the locomotive. Any thoughts?

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

It's got me stumped, reported it as a likely Factorio bug.

Justderpingalong
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Justderpingalong »

I like this idea... but I think the locomotive should be more expensive and should be more powerfull than a locomotive running on rocket fuel. :P

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Justderpingalong wrote:I like this idea... but I think the locomotive should be more expensive and should be more powerfull than a locomotive running on rocket fuel. :P
Perhaps add in a few turbines into the recipe. After all, it's a literal power plant on wheels :)

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

The fuel is expensive.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

I've updated the mod to use a custom fuel type that produces no waste items, due to the above-mentioned issue with inserters.

The issue is that inserters don't recognise spent fuel inventories as a valid output to take items from, except in the single case of the nuclear reactor, which has been hard-coded to define its spent fuel inventory as its output. This means that no custom entity (be it building or vehicle) can have spent nuclear fuel removed by inserters. I'm hoping this is fixed eventually.

locke019
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by locke019 »

I really like the idea behind this mod but I have a question, is there a possibility of allowing your custom fuel to produce a waste product that can be reprocessed similar to the spent nuclear cells?

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

locke019 wrote:I really like the idea behind this mod but I have a question, is there a possibility of allowing your custom fuel to produce a waste product that can be reprocessed similar to the spent nuclear cells?
Not without it clogging stuff up in the train. Problem is, the game doesn't really support having trains have fuel with waste products. It might be doable with some scripting but don't quote me on that.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

It looks nice on paper but rocket fuel is more useful atm.
You should consider adding acceleration bonus to nuclear fuel - currently locos are much slower with it vs rocket fuel and a bit slower vs solid fuel.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

Have you tested with cargo/fluid wagons, and not on empty trains?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I'm using very short trains so there is no big difference and vanilla loco on rocket fuel with cargo wagon and tanker works well. And still easily reaches almost 300kph on decent distance so long range haul is faster.

Liquid5n0w
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Liquid5n0w »

GotLag wrote:Have you tested with cargo/fluid wagons, and not on empty trains?
We did a test loop of the nuke train vs the rocket train, and they are the same speed without load.

I assume you mean that the two have the same max speed, but underload the nuke can accelerate faster? How would it compare having two rocket trains pulling 4 cars vs 1 nuke train pulling 5 cars? Would the nuke still win that?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Liquid5n0w wrote:
GotLag wrote:Have you tested with cargo/fluid wagons, and not on empty trains?
We did a test loop of the nuke train vs the rocket train, and they are the same speed without load.

I assume you mean that the two have the same max speed, but underload the nuke can accelerate faster? How would it compare having two rocket trains pulling 4 cars vs 1 nuke train pulling 5 cars? Would the nuke still win that?
Did you get nuke train to 300kph? For me it gets to 260kph and thats the max. Tested that on single loco only.
Normal locomotive with rocket fuel gets to almost 300kph.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

That'll teach me to test on longer tracks. Updated to give nuclear locos a 25% boost to top speed.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

hoho wrote:
locke019 wrote:I really like the idea behind this mod but I have a question, is there a possibility of allowing your custom fuel to produce a waste product that can be reprocessed similar to the spent nuclear cells?
Not without it clogging stuff up in the train. Problem is, the game doesn't really support having trains have fuel with waste products. It might be doable with some scripting but don't quote me on that.
Happily, it's fixed in 0.15.7:
Inserters will no longer take fuel from locomotives and instead will take the burnt result items if the locomotive fuel uses that system.
I've updated Nuclear Locomotives to use regular nuclear fuel again.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Cool :)
If I could.. pester for one more thing:
Will you consider making bob mods compatible version of your locos (with multiple marks of loco and new materials) after bob's mod set is released fully?

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

Possibly. I don't use bob's mods myself, but reply here when it's released and I'll take a look.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Yeah also give a suggested recipe too for bobs that will help a lot.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Hey! Where is the Nuclear powered tanks :)

Return to “Mods”