Can trees be replanted?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Apollysis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Can trees be replanted?

Post by Apollysis »

Is there a way to plant trees or do forests slowly spread if left alone?

Kiapha
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Can trees be replanted?

Post by Kiapha »

Not that I have seen in the base game, however there is the treefarm mod, which not only allows automated tree farming, but also planting of seedlings anywhere on the map, allowing you to create your own forests.

undeadnightorc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by undeadnightorc »

I actually want the opposite, a machine that automatically cuts all the trees around me :D

Driving is such a pain when you have forests everywhere, lol.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

undeadnightorc wrote:I actually want the opposite, a machine that automatically cuts all the trees around me :D

yes you can

Poison capsule - cheap but destroys wood

Roboport + construction bots + deconstruction planner = bots will harvest trees and store them in available logistic chest

undeadnightorc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by undeadnightorc »

Wow, didn't know that about poison or the bots. I guess the deconstruction planner is the red sheet thing? I've only used the construction robots for auto repairing my walls so far.

Kiapha
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kiapha »

Yep, grab deconstruction planner, click and drag a big red box and bots remove everything you dragged the box around.

goertzenator
Inserter
Inserter

Post by goertzenator »

undeadnightorc wrote:I actually want the opposite, a machine that automatically cuts all the trees around me :D

The combat shotgun will cut a road through a forest in no time. 8-)

Chthon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chthon »

Last mission of the main campaign: 217 trees killed.

They had it coming 8-)

sciencemile
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sciencemile »

I can definitely see a good use for replanting trees. They absorb pollution apparently (not sure how that works), so I guess if you wanted to avoid attracting biters (or at least not towards certain locations) you could create Forested zones to lower the spread.

Chthon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chthon »

How long are you willing to wait for a tree to grow? Trees can take years to reach maturity. I think that pollution reduction should be done in a more immediate manner, not in planting trees and waiting.

sciencemile
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sciencemile »

Hmm I guess you're right about that. Quite a few trees get a respectable size in just a year but I don't know how they compare to these alien trees; there's these really fast growing willow trees people plant in rows for privacy that reach 6-12 feet in a year, and 25-40 feet in 3 years (about 1.8m-3.6m and 7.6m-12m metrically speaking)

Besides the Day/Night Cycle there's really no sense of larger timescale implemented into the game at the moment (or maybe there is and the planet just doesn't have axial-tilt seasons.)

I guess it'll be a while before that's implemented (assuming it ever is). Things like Genetic Engineering maybe to make the trees grow faster <.<

RMJ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RMJ »

It would be kinda neat if they regrow, and you could regrow them with saplings, but it would take a long time, and you could have to maybe build water system to help them grow faster. maybe provide light in the night to keep them growing.

Why would you add this to the game you ask?.

I feel like it adds beyond visual stuff. it adds a natural option early game / mid game to help with pollution. Before you eventually get to advanced tech that decreases pollution or pollution free tech.

sciencemile
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sciencemile »

If they ever add more options for Wood, it'd be cool to have a Lumber Industry set up like Weyerhauser, that has huge tracts of forests and replants trees they cut down so they can continually cut at a pace where by the time they come back around the trees will be ready for cutting again.

Return to “General discussion”