[0.15.5] No confirmation prompt on deleting a blueprint book

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SockPuppet
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Confirmation on Delete Blueprint Book

Post by SockPuppet »

I've been using the 0.15 release quite a bit and I really like the new blueprint book idea. However I have been doing the same thing over and over again: Deleting the blueprint book when I meant to delete the blueprint.

Could you PLEASE add a confirmation dialog saying I'm about to delete a blueprint book with blueprints in it, instead of simply deleting it and removing a dozen or so blueprints without a warning?

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Confirmation on Delete Blueprint Book

Post by aober93 »

They're only copies anyway, and their spawnrate in this game is becoming tremendous. I would rather have an autodelete function. Asking for it everytim would be so annoying.

SockPuppet
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SockPuppet »

They aren't copies when you are modifying your 'cloud' storage instead of your 'ingame' storage.

Here's basically my scenario:
- Create a really nice blueprint, that you want to reuse in other games.
- Now you want to store it in your 'cloud' storage. You pick up your blueprint and press B.
- You want to file your nice blueprint under a blueprint book. You right click the blueprint book (I actually expect the blueprint book to open then, but it doesn't, but that's a different issue).
- You place your blueprint in a 'cloud' blueprint book.
- You realize you made a mistake in your nice blueprint, you fix it.
- Now you want to replace your stored 'cloud' blueprint. You go to your 'cloud' blueprint book. You click on the blueprint you want to remove to pick it up.
I now have a blueprint in my hand which I want to remove. What do I have on screen that resembles remove?
- With the blueprint in my hand, I click the trash bin.
- It deletes my 'cloud' blueprint book without a warning.

And I'm unhappy, as I just lost my 'cloud' blueprints, with no way of recovering them.

Progman
Inserter
Inserter

[0.15.5] No confirmation prompt on deleting a blueprint book

Post by Progman »

When you have an empty blueprint book you can delete the book directly by pressing on "Delete blueprint book". But when there are blueprints in it you don't get any confirmation dialog, the book with all the blueprints will be deleted. There should be a confirmation dialog when deleting a non-empty blueprint book.

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.15.5] No confirmation prompt on deleting a blueprint book

Post by OdinYggd »

Yes please. I've deleted my blueprint master book like 12 times already on accident when trying to delete an individual blueprint from it.

In previous versions I would keep a blueprint or two blank in the book as scratchpad for quick copypaste sorts of usage. While trying to remove these scratchpad blueprints I keep unintentionally deleting the entire book.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

Meems33
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.15.9] Confirm Blueprint Book Deletion

Post by Meems33 »

Background: I was trying to delete a blueprint by dragging it over to the trash can in a blueprint book. I thought it would delete my blueprint. Instead it deleted my entire blueprint book. :oops:

1) If a blueprint book contains blueprints a confirm prompt should ask the user if they are sure they wish to delete the blueprint book and all blueprints within it
2) A quick way to delete blueprints within a blueprint book without having to open them in the UI and hitting their trash can icon

FatMcK
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.15.9] Confirm Blueprint Book Deletion

Post by FatMcK »

Confirmation would mean one more click for each deletion while mostly only one in a lot are mistakes. I think it would be better to have a trashcan where the last ten or so deleted blueprints/books would be stored witht he ablity to restore them. So if you accidently delete a blueprint or a full book it could be easily recovered.

With the already working blueprint strings in the game I think this shouldn't be that much of a problem.

t-lor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by t-lor »

Glad to see im not the only one accidently deleting stuff :)

Wel tbh i dont delete the books on a regular basis, mostly its a misclick. so i would like a warning there, but i can see your point.
But for the love of god warn before deleting a filled book from library, this is the 3rd time i wanted to delete a blueprint, but accidently deleted my whole book :(

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

What modern software development says about confirmation vs. undo:

https://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/ ... on-and-why
https://joshwayne.com/confirm-or-undo/
https://alistapart.com/article/neveruseawarning

--> This is case for UNDO, not confirmation.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Claudius1729
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Claudius1729 »

Interesting links ssilk, but whether it's implemented as UNDO (via a trashcan or something) or a warning, I think this is a good suggestion.

A book is even more painful than a single blueprint to delete accidentally. I once deleted one (small one) because I clicked on the trashcan, mentally thinking I was deleting one of the blueprints inside.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I deleted my blueprint book by accident.

I loaded from my latest savegame.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

tamanous
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tamanous »

bobingabout wrote:I deleted my blueprint book by accident.

I loaded from my latest savegame.
Same here. :)

Dre0ne
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Add a confirmation popup when deleting Blueprints/Book

Post by Dre0ne »

There's been multiple times while the blueprint book is open and I want to delete a blueprint from it, I instinctively drag the blueprint to the delete button, thinking that'll delete the blueprint. Because I'm clicking on the delete button the book gets deleted right away.

If this gets implemented there should be an option to enable/disable the confirmation box as it can get annoying to click OK every time, especially during big builds.

Thanks.

SaintFlow
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SaintFlow »

Happened to me as well today. Exact same use case as OP. It sucks to lose a whole book that easily and are forced to reload if you wanna recover it. :?

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

Second time today that i accidentally delete my blueprint book... This really needs some confirmation or locking mechanism.

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

I deleted my book from the library :oops:
I made a silly blueprint, put it in the book. Then i picked it up (the blueprint was also visibly marked) and clicked delete. It said (in german) something like "no blueprint to lay down selected" and the book is deleted. Why?

Well i just recovered an older version of that book from an 0.14 savegame cause i had em in my inventory. I dont keep all the books in my inventory now anymore. Thought whats the point having the library then.

bcRIPster
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.15.x] Blueprint book deletion issue.

Post by bcRIPster »

This is less of a bug per se, and more of a UI issue. Me and the other players I play with keep having a UI fail with blueprint books. We will be in a book and go to delete a blueprint by mindlessly dragging it up to the trashcan in the top right corner and bamn. The book is gone with no prompt. The first couple of times we rolled the server back. Now everyone keeps a copy of their books offgame in a notepad file as backup for when it happens.

Can you guys add a "confirm on delete" prompt for blueprint books from the trashcan button? I can't believe we're the only players to be impacted by this.

Thanks!

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.15.x] Blueprint book deletion issue.

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however we've talked about this internally and decided that for now we aren't going to add any confirmation to the delete button.

We feel that the fact it's red (no other buttons are red) and has a trash can icon is enough to convey the fact that it's going to delete the book/blueprint/deconstruction planner you have open.

Because it's working as intended that makes this not a bug.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

bcRIPster
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bcRIPster »

Ok, thank-you. As I said, I didn't feel this was a bug myself but more of a usability qwerk. It visually reads as trashcan. Normal OS behavior is drag and drop and when you're head deep in playing and you go to discard a blueprint, sometimes you drag it to that trashcan which deletes the book leaving the blueprint you wanted to delete there on your cursor.

Anyways, no worries. I figured it was worth asking.

Thanks!

bcRIPster
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bcRIPster »

Other people are complaining about this on Reddit and it now the second most top voted comment in the subreddit. Please reconsider your thoughts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... e_destroy/

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”