offshore pump

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Sonik-HSC
Inserter
Inserter

offshore pump

Post by Sonik-HSC »

hello! Every thing in games uses fuel or electricity to work and my question is WHY the offshore pump doesn't need nothing to work???
This one is a question! " in Factorio 0.15.2 the assembling machines connected to the grid but not producing nothing it is normal they consume energy? like stand-by mode!!!
in version 0.14.x they don´t do nothing similar as this!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: offshore pump

Post by Koub »

Offshore pump has never ever needed energy to work. neither in 0.15, nor in 0.14 ... The question has already been discussed a lot.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33385
(there are other topics, just search "Offshore pump energy")
There's even been a poll : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33532
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Sonik-HSC wrote:This one is a question! " in Factorio 0.15.2 the assembling machines connected to the grid but not producing nothing it is normal they consume energy? like stand-by mode!!!
They did the same in earlier versions. Many machines use a little energy when idle, you can see the energy used if you hover over the machine and check the description on the right, it's the Drain value.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Long story short... you need water to make electricity. How will you get the water to make electricity if the pump to get water requires electricity to work?
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

porcupine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by porcupine »

bobingabout wrote:Long story short... you need water to make electricity. How will you get the water to make electricity if the pump to get water requires electricity to work?
Could do a trickle mode. Without electricity, you get a *small* trickle of water to the effect of 1% of its regular throughput, but with electricity you get a heck of a lot more. Make unplanned power outages/restarts a real SOB, unless you have a water tower (IE: tanks) :D

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

bobingabout wrote:Long story short... you need water to make electricity. How will you get the water to make electricity if the pump to get water requires electricity to work?
Pressure plate, every entering on it makes some energy.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Let's not start that discussion again in a new topic eh? ;)
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Sonik-HSC wrote:hello! Every thing in games uses fuel or electricity to work and my question is WHY the offshore pump doesn't need nothing to work???
This one is a question! " in Factorio 0.15.2 the assembling machines connected to the grid but not producing nothing it is normal they consume energy? like stand-by mode!!!
Because you need the pump to make your first steam boiler go. If the pump required electricity, you'd have a snake biting it's tail: You need power for the pump, but a working pump to generate power.
I think the thing is fine as is. Either that or it could be made to take fuel. Not difficult to run the fueling line on a boiler array to the pump generally.

Ingolifs
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ingolifs »

I think it would be quite cool if, as you were starting out and had just made your first steam power setup, you had to manually crank it to get it started, and then would watch as the system slowly underwent positive feedback and sped up until it was at full capacity.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

What if it would work without electricity by 5% of it max capacity. It will still feed boilers with water even after the shutdown. On a second thought: what this would add to the gameplay? Nothing but one extra power pole to place near the pump :D

Tym
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tym »

i just thought the pump used the temperature difference surface and bottom to generate it's own power. can't remember the name of the technology...

Nasabot
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nasabot »

Magic

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

While I like the idea of a powered pump, which generates 1% flow with no power, the problem is you'd need to make it highest power priority to not be frustrating as all hell (otherwise even a small power fluctuation could result in a negative feedback spiral), then the first power from the steam engine always goes to power the pump, it comes up to full output, and nothing really changes except you need to place power poles near the pumps.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Tym wrote:i just thought the pump used the temperature difference surface and bottom to generate it's own power. can't remember the name of the technology...
Stirling's engine

RamsesIV.
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RamsesIV. »

I think that the solution to this problem would only be changing the graphics of the pump. There are water pumps that only needs stream of water to run. Nothing else. Though it seems that current water pump crates a lot of pressure which the ones I am talking about doesnt.

Return to “Balancing”