ModMyFactory - mod manager and more

Tools for search and installing new mods as well as starting Factorio.
For dedicated server handling see Multiplayer Tools
ArmadX
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: ModMyFactory - mod manager and more

Post by ArmadX »

Oh great, that worked! And it kept all the 0.14 mods so I can go back to it if needed.

Thanks a million

BlooSkies
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BlooSkies »

Keeping old versions of a mod when updating should probably not be enabled by default, as having multiple versions of a mod in the game's mod directory causes some minor wonkiness.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

As far as I know Factorio will just use the newest version and if a folder and a zip with the same version are present the folder is used.

BlooSkies
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BlooSkies »

Artentus wrote:As far as I know Factorio will just use the newest version and if a folder and a zip with the same version are present the folder is used.
Well, yes.
But it presents a less-than-desirable warning at every startup in that instance.
I suppose I should've just said that, oops.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Well, if you don't want to see the message turn it off.
I only even added this option because of a request, so what am I supposed to do? I can hardly give everyone a personalized version.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Version 1.5.4 released

Post by Artentus »

Changelog:
  • Adjusted settings default values.
  • Fixed crash when connection probelm occurs while fetching mods.
  • Updated translator list.

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

Artentus wrote:I have planned to add some way to download all your mods for a newer Factorio version without deleting the old mods but I have not yet found a good way to do it.
after not being able to access the mod portal during the last week, I finally was just able to access the portal and update a huge amount of mods from 0.14 to 0.15 while still keeping the old 0.14 mods by setting and changing options like this:
(edit: i was using MMF 1.5.3 which was current half an hour ago :-)
  • (1) just to be safe in case something goes wrong, make a backup of all mods in the mods directory.
  • (2) with the setting "per factorio version" and with the setting "DO delete updated mods"
    check and update all mods to the newest 0.14 version (without getting duplicates etc)
  • (3) create a new modpack with ALL mods and other modpacks and export it using the option "include version info". this can serve as an additional kind of backup to revert back to 0.14 or to later force missing 0.14 versions to reappear.
  • (4)if it was not yet installed, install the factorio program version 0.15 now
  • (5) with the setting "global version" and with the setting "do NOT delete updated mods"
    check and update all mods again, thus getting all avaiable 0.15 versions for existing 0.14 mods, and NOT loosing the old 0.14 versions
  • (6) result for me was to have roughly one third of my many mods being automatically updated to 0.15 (since 5 days after the release, most of the mods were not yet available for 0.15, or obsolete for 0.15), and still have all the 0.14 mods
  • (7) to keep the mods for 0.14 and 0.15 separate (when doing future updates) and be able to use both versions of factorio, the settings now have to be reverted to their state in step (2): "per factorio version" and "DO delete updated mods"
  • (8) with this nice base for the new 0.15 install, all mods should be checked whether they are really available in the desired version, eg whether some 0.15 versions are no longer needed or wanted, whether there are are new 0.15 mods, which 0.15 mods are still missing (not yet updated), etc etc
about the options in MMF: i like the "do/don't delete updated mods" option, but imho it would be important to have two versions of this option. one to generally enable/disable deleting mods like it is now (to keep 0.14 versions when updating to 0.15; this might also be an answer to the quote above: a new option "don't delete updated mods when it is a different main version of factorio"), and maybe even more important another option which applies only to unzipped mods, assuming that zipped mods are "original versions" which can be downloaded from the portal at any time again, but unzipped directories probably are modified versions which should be kept by default (to be used as reference which changes were done for local fixes, changes in config.lua options, etc)

when i tried setting up two modpacks for a test of factorio 0.15, and for a 0.14 map, i noticed an old problem:
enabling/disabling the modpacks always enabled and disabled the mods for 0.15 on the left side, and the mods in the 0.14 section on the left side stayed checked/unchecked as they were when starting MMF ...

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Anson wrote:don't delete updated mods when it is a different main version of factorio
I do like this idea, it would basically fix my problem. I will probably change to a dropdown field though and make this available as third option, because they are mutually exclusive. Adding the option to only keep unzipped ones will be easy then, too.
Anson wrote:i noticed an old problem
If you mean what I think you do then this is not a problem but by design. If you toggle a modpack it will only toggle the mods (and modpacks) it contains and leave all other mods untouched. If you want to enable one modpack exclusively, disable all mods first by using the checkbox at he verry top.

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

i had written this answer with more detailed examples to avoid confusion and misunderstandings, but lost the text when sending it :-( thus here it is again with less details. i hope it will still be clear enough to understand correctly:
Artentus wrote:
Anson wrote:don't delete updated mods when it is a different main version of factorio
I do like this idea, it would basically fix my problem. I will probably change to a dropdown field though and make this available as third option, because they are mutually exclusive. Adding the option to only keep unzipped ones will be easy then, too.
yes in general, but not "mutually exclusive". someone might want to always keep updated unzipped versions and also all versions on updating to a new factorio version. although many combinations will probably be used very rarely and/or are niche cases, the following 8 lines in the configuration would enable users to select whatever they want:
two questions: "keep unzipped updated mods" and "keep zipped updated mods",
each with 4 mutually exclusive bullet selections: "always", "never", "only if different factorio versions", "not for different factorio versions" (although the latter probably will not make much sense, but just to have all possible combinations)
Artentus wrote:
Anson wrote:i noticed an old problem
If you mean what I think you do then this is not a problem but by design. If you toggle a modpack it will only toggle the mods (and modpacks) it contains and leave all other mods untouched. If you want to enable one modpack exclusively, disable all mods first by using the checkbox at he verry top.
i think you don't think what i mean :-) but it probably is still by design.

here is what i mean and how to reproduce it: make two new modpacks packA and packB. have two mods for 0.14 and the same two mods for 0.15, thus you will have two different names only. now drag modA from 0.14 to packA and modB from 0.15 to packB. how can you later see which version of the mods is included in which modpack? i could see no version info on the mods and modpacks, and selecting packA will select only modA from 0.14, and selecting modB will surprise many people when modB from 0.15 is selected.

it would be much nicer when i can have one modpack with a list of mods and on starting factorio the correct mods will be used, without any need to create two modpacks, maybe naming them 014angelbob and 015angelbob, then creating the same pack twice (once from 0.14 and once from 0.15) and on starting factorio selecting the correct one of those two.
maybe it's currently possible to drag all mods from 0.14 and 0.15 to the same modpack, thus creating a modpack which has all names twice, and since they are in different mods directories, it won't hurt. and I'll be able to start factorio with this modpack ...
I'll have to test this when i have more time ...

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Anson wrote:how can you later see which version of the mods is included in which modpack?
I see. Should not be to difficult to do something about this.
Anson wrote:maybe it's currently possible to drag all mods from 0.14 and 0.15 to the same modpack,
It is. I'd imagine it would be kind of confusing though.

aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aaargha »

Hello again!

Two quick things:
Is it possible to pass command line parameters to Factorio from the links generated by ModMyFactory, like --disable-audio? I coulnd't find anything on the wiki.
I have selected a custom folder for the saves but when I do View->"Open savegame folder" it still opens the appdata folder. It still works in game it seems to be just that link that is weird.

Cheers!

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

aaargha wrote:Is it possible to pass command line parameters to Factorio from the links generated by ModMyFactory
No. Any reason why this would be necessary?
aaargha wrote:it still opens the appdata folder
Sigh, couldn't you have said this a bit earlier? Now I'll have to release 1.5.6 instead of 1.5.5 just to fix this. :P

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Version 1.5.6 released

Post by Artentus »

Changelog:
  • Added settings to more precisely control which mods to keep when updating mods.
  • Mods will now always be updated to their newest version regardless of the manager mode (mods for old versions are kept by default).
  • Added a Factorio version indicator to mods inside modpacks.
  • Added the possibility to create links that only target a main version of Factorio instead of a specific version. The highest available version with that main version will be launched.
  • Fixed that multiple version of the same mod where loaded in the wrong order (highest version now first).
  • Fixed that the links in the 'View' menu would always take you to the appdata folder regardless of your setting.

aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aaargha »

Artentus wrote:No. Any reason why this would be necessary?
I'm guessing it won't be a much used feature by most but it could be nice when developing mods, --disable-audio reduces the load time so it would make testing quicker, and considering how many errors my code usually generates this would be pretty neat. I'm not really sure if there are any other real uses for it though.
Artentus wrote:Sigh, couldn't you have said this a bit earlier? Now I'll have to release 1.5.6 instead of 1.5.5 just to fix this. :P
Got to keep you occupied somehow :D

mozair
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mozair »

hi, I'm currently getting this error when using ModMyFactory (v1.5.6, factorio 0.15, tried with both the standalone version from the factorio website and the steam version)

Code: Select all

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at ModMyFactory.ViewModels.OnlineModsViewModel.GetNewestRelease(ExtendedModInfo info)
   at ModMyFactory.ViewModels.OnlineModsViewModel.<.ctor>b__85_3()
   at MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CanExecuteCommandSource(ICommandSource commandSource)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.UpdateCanExecute()
   at System.Windows.WeakEventManager.ListenerList.DeliverEvent(Listener& listener, Object sender, EventArgs args, Type managerType)
   at System.Windows.WeakEventManager.ListenerList.DeliverEvent(Object sender, EventArgs args, Type managerType)
   at System.Windows.WeakEventManager.DeliverEvent(Object sender, EventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.RaiseRequerySuggested(Object obj)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
this happens after clicking on "add mods" -> download, after it parses all the pages

is there anything else I could provide you that would be helpful?

I love ModMyFactory, makes dealing with factorio mods infinitely better : )

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

mozair wrote:I'm currently getting this error
Fixed.

mozair
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mozair »

Artentus wrote:
mozair wrote:I'm currently getting this error
Fixed.

hats off to you good sir

i can confirm it works on my setup as well

thanks for all the great work

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

mozair wrote:hats off to you good sir
I try to take an example from the Factorio devs. Although I can not compete with their experience and workforce sadly.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Version 1.5.8 released

Post by Artentus »

Changelog:
  • Fixed mods appearing multiple times in some situations when updating them.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Version 1.5.9 released

Post by Artentus »

Changelog:
  • Fixed a rare apphang condition in the online mod window.
  • Fixed that windows could appear on disconnected displays.

Return to “Mod and installation managers”