A quick notice

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
seanos1998
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

A quick notice

Post by seanos1998 »

Have fun watching the sales go up cause Sips from the yogscast made a video on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBh3Fn_25OQ

Reduced_Silver
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: A quick notice

Post by Reduced_Silver »

Yeah, I hope so, but rule 1 of Factorio demonstrating is GET TO ELECTRICITY in your first video. There are more than a few 'yeah bored' in the comments.

The start of Factorio sucks donkey baws.

undeadnightorc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by undeadnightorc »

13 minutes is simply not enough time to get to the real meat of the game. Half the video was him running around a plain desert, which can look very boring to Yogcast's age demographic. I wish he began en medias res, with small part of his base already set up.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Yeah, usually we tell the youtubers for the first preview to show an already built factory. However sips just did a video without ever talking to us, but the video says Part 1, so maybe he will continue :)

adius
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by adius »

That rough spawn didn't help either. Lot of negative response in the comments =/. Would it be rude to post a link to a video showing how a reasonably designed factory looks? Maybe just red vial automation with steam power, want it to look interesting but not overwhelming to the uninitiated. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure yogscast sticks close to the "let's play" format of showcasing games, which often involves showing every minute of gameplay from the beginning with no editing. Might be hard to ask him to abandon that format just to make the game look better.

Anyway, don't forget to like the video, just to show support =P

StuffPlus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by StuffPlus »

I watched it and read the comments, really hope it brings more people to the game. As for the series we will see how it goes, I'm guessing not well though. For a start he goes for short videos and Factorio isn't the game for that. Secondly it's really slow at the start and you need to keep people interested. Thirdly his starting position is... sub optimal. I think the main problem though is he may not have done enough research before starting, which in my experience he tends to do. With Factorio you really cant get away with it for long... I know lol I remember before starting my series I had a long chat with Tomas about what is best to start with, what mode, what to do etc and then I played it for pretty much a weekend straight to make sure I had a lot of the game down. I still am learning things as I go and its part of the fun for me and the viewers (IMO) but going in practically blind is not a great idea. Still though I hope he continues with it and it goes well, at the very least I think things are going to get busy lol

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Another thing with Sips is that he tends to quit a series before finishing it. At 10 minutes a video and based on his current progress and how he progresses in other series, I wouldn't be surprised if he just stopped at like part 15 or something where he just got to the oil industry. :/

seanos1998
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by seanos1998 »

Well sips is one of the few yogscast members i've seen actually finish series (or stop them with a finale at least)

Reduced_Silver
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Reduced_Silver »

I subscribe to quite a few of the smaller channels (1-50k subs) and I've noticed more and more checking it out.

The latest guy said 'this is a game that's getting a bit of buzz at the moment....'

So, very nice. I always recommend it to content makers in the comments.

Phy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Phy »

I found this game because of NorthernLion. He made a decently long video (40-50mins I think), but I stopped watching after 15~ minutes and bought the game.

mwaazie
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mwaazie »

As for one I expect what sips did will help the sales.
I actually bought the game when i saw his first vid about it. He linked the page of Factorio so i started by checking out the page and seeing the trailer ( And even without that i found it interesting just as he talked about it)

So, thank you Sips for selling me the game! :D

Also hey everybody :)

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

mwaazie wrote:As for one I expect what sips did will help the sales.
I actually bought the game when i saw his first vid about it. He linked the page of Factorio so i started by checking out the page and seeing the trailer ( And even without that i found it interesting just as he talked about it)

So, thank you Sips for selling me the game! :D

Also hey everybody :)

Hi there :)
I think so, too. I didn't know that streamer (although i know the Yogscast), but I already dislike his community a lot. I wouldn't give too much about the comments below his video; lots of people will see this thing and instantly be hooked by it. Everybody who is on the fences after watching a bit wouldn't like the game very much anyway i guess. The general principle is intriguing from the first minute onwards, and while I think the growing complexity only adds to it, that's not the part that sells the game in the first place. Just my two cents :)

Umbru
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Umbru »

Yea I liked Quill18's video much better he pretty much always does at least an hour or two of research before he starts any recording though. It as Quill's video that got me to buy the game it also lead me to doing a search for more Factorio playthroughs which lead me to Stuff+'s channel that I have been following lately.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

Umbru wrote:Yea I liked Quill18's video much better he pretty much always does at least an hour or two of research before he starts any recording though. It as Quill's video that got me to buy the game it also lead me to doing a search for more Factorio playthroughs which lead me to Stuff+'s channel that I have been following lately.
I have to check them out. I am not that big of a stream spectator, but I like a good Let's play from time to time, if the uploader is likeable (that is a big factor) and competent. Regarding Factorio, I watched some vids from TheWinterOwl so far, and I pretty much enjoy watching and listen him play. But he doesn't have much yet, only four episodes of Factorio I think.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

It's somehow interesting what they think. They make the same mistakes as normal players. I recommend the devs to watch as many as possible and make notes about what they think.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

undeadnightorc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by undeadnightorc »

Apparently SIps is planning on ending the series at part 6. A shame since by the time he finishes the game has only just begun, IMO.

Ah well, I'm glad he likes the game enough to make a series out of it, even if it does end up being so short. His popularity is very good for the game, and I'm sure thousands of viewers ended up buying the game because of him.

seanos1998
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by seanos1998 »

undeadnightorc wrote:Apparently SIps is planning on ending the series at part 6. A shame since by the time he finishes the game has only just begun, IMO.

Ah well, I'm glad he likes the game enough to make a series out of it, even if it does end up being so short. His popularity is very good for the game, and I'm sure thousands of viewers ended up buying the game because of him.
where did you hear this? I can't find any sources tbh

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

seanos1998 wrote:
undeadnightorc wrote:Apparently SIps is planning on ending the series at part 6. A shame since by the time he finishes the game has only just begun, IMO.

He posted it on reddit. And I am not surprised to be honest.

seanos1998
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by seanos1998 »

FishSandwich wrote:
seanos1998 wrote:

He posted it on reddit. And I am not surprised to be honest.
i think you misunderstood, episode 6 is the end of his first recording session, if the comments are positive enough he will do more recording sessions, you can see it in the description of episode 6

squisher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by squisher »

Sips announced he'd be ending the series after video #6 - due to things getting too complicated -- and he's barely scratched the surface!! Grrrr... I might unsubscribe lol.

This is the video that drew me into Factorio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8w6iVfBQBc -- Quill18 does a great job skipping into some interesting stuff, and knowing what the heck he's talking about.

[edit: whoops, didnt' see page 2. bleh, oh well]

Return to “General discussion”