Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[MOD 0.14.x] Alien Goop Cracking

Post by Dustine »

ImageAlien Goop Cracking
Website: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... opCracking
License: MIT
Tags: Alien Artifacts, Farming, Exploration, Pink

A new way to farm alien artifacts! Adds oil-like sprouts that can be drained and processed them (and cotton candy!).
These sprouts only spawn below alien spawners, and quite rarely at that, so get to exploring!
Description
Alien nests will randomly have a oil-like resource sprout (Alien Goop well) below them.
The spawn chance for wells is quite low by default; look for red dots on your map that linger after some biter slaying.
Alien spawner hiding Alien Goop well
Using a pumpjack on the well will allow you to extract Alien Goop (new fluid).
The yield of these camps increase with distance to the spawning-zone. This, and other values, can be tweaked in the config.lua file.
Pumpjack setup over Alien Goop well
Sometimes these wells will spawn boosted, being less viscous and allowing you to pump the goop five times faster!
Boosted alien goop well
It's also possible to boost existing wells, if you have the fortune to kill a second spawner over it. It's not a garanteed chance though!

From this goop, on the base game, you can craft two things:
  • - Alien Artifacts: Mix 5ul with 8 Stone on a chemical furnace (30 seconds) or
    - Cotton Candy, a full heal consumable: Craft 20ul with a fish within your most beaconed setup you can muster.
You can also barrel and unbarrel the goop as if it was crude oil. Useful!
Example crafting setup, with both Alien Artifacts, Cotton Candy and Barreling
Check your achievements after installing the mod.

If you also have Bob's Enemies or Angel's Bioprocessing (either/or, both aren't required at the same time), extra recipes will get unlocked that use Alien Goop:
  • - Colored Alien Artifacts [bobenemies]: Mix 60ul goop, 30ul sulfuric acid, 96 coal (!!!) and 12 alien artifacts on a chemical plant to get, in average, 0.6 of every artifact flavour plus 30ul light oil.
    - Alien Bacteria [angelbioprocessing]: Mix 1ul goop with 2 calcium carbonate on an algae farm to get alien bacteria, the precursor for the mod's artifact crafting chain. 3x more efficient than the base recipe.
Mini-factory with the bob+angel recipes
Excuse the programmer-tier graphics, I'd pay for any better icons. That and it was the best I could do, fueled by frustation by how many artifacts you sometimes need in modded Factorio yet never having had found a good enough solution to that.
Attachments
AlienGoopCracking_1.2.2.zip
v1.2.2 - Bugfixes
(151.46 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Last edited by Dustine on Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Dustine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14.x] Alien Goop Cracking

Post by Dustine »

1.1.0 is out! Well boosting has been implemented, alongside a few bug fixes. Check the main post or the mod portal for downloads.

+ Well boosting mechanic added. Killing alien bases over existing alien goop wells has a change to boost them: both filling them to generation-levels amount of goop, and making it slicker (5x output speed)
- Wells can't spawn on top of other wells, either oil or alien goop, preventing the use of pumpjacks

On other news, this mod is being used by the kind KatherineOfSkies on her most recent Factorio playthrough, a Space-Ex based campaign! Check it out bellow:
https://youtu.be/o5HsQFBUNrI?list=PL4o6 ... j22vXAEzkw

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

testing v1.1.0 discovered a bug? possible as it is not a low chance of spawn spout i get a spout on every spawner killed,
this is not intended i believe

EDIT: the default is not 0.05 in the config, it is set to 1 when downloading from the portal thus resulting in the 100% spawn rate for spouts on spawner death

also using rsomod if this helps

Dustine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dustine »

Philip017 wrote:testing v1.1.0 discovered a bug? possible as it is not a low chance of spawn spout i get a spout on every spawner killed,
this is not intended i believe

EDIT: the default is not 0.05 in the config, it is set to 1 when downloading from the portal thus resulting in the 100% spawn rate for spouts on spawner death

also using rsomod if this helps
Oh, yeah my bad! I left a extremely high default value from some testing rounds, I fixed it in 1.1.1! You, my friend, get a cookie.

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

having played with it for a while,
i noticed that the red spots on my map look alot like the alien hives i have to destroy (the same color)
might i suggest making available a different color or using a different color.
thus i dont go crazy wondering if a hive has poped up again
thanks again!

EDIT:

i figured out how to change the color,
editing resources.lua in the prototypes/entity folder
map_color = {r=1.0, g=0.0, b=0.0},
the default red to
map_color = {r=0.0, g=1.0, b=0.0},
becomes green
thus helping differentiate between the hives and spouts.

when changing after already having spouts spawned, visit the spout and place a building on it, in my case a miner or a gun turret has worked well.

Dustine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dustine »

Philip017 wrote:having played with it for a while,
i noticed that the red spots on my map look alot like the alien hives i have to destroy (the same color)
might i suggest making available a different color or using a different color.
thus i dont go crazy wondering if a hive has poped up again
thanks again!

EDIT:

i figured out how to change the color,
editing resources.lua in the prototypes/entity folder
map_color = {r=1.0, g=0.0, b=0.0},
the default red to
map_color = {r=0.0, g=1.0, b=0.0},
becomes green
thus helping differentiate between the hives and spouts.

when changing after already having spouts spawned, visit the spout and place a building on it, in my case a miner or a gun turret has worked well.
Hi, sorry for the late response, been busy lately.

Well, them being red was by design; the most logical pink was already taken by oil, and because goop wells only spawn AFTER killing bases, the scenario you described never occurred to me. The oil/goop/... spots are also smaller than bases on the map, but that may not be of much help.

I'll probably add a toggle for the map colour on the settings next release but green doesn't feel right and it's already taken by other mods (Angel's Gas Vents, per example). I'll think on it colourwise. Thank you!

Oh, as a final aside: charged goop wells are white, at least. Those you will DEFINITELY not mistake for biters! :lol:

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

well with the previous "bug" having one spawn every base,
i ended up with LOTS on my map,
and it was driving me a little bonkers,
hence the change to make them green.
i have not used the angles or bobs mods,
mainly because they are all dependent on each other and getting them all to work together is more hassle than it's worth to me, i tried 3ra's combination of the mods, but it was beyond me on how to get it working as the game went from mildly complicated to over the top complicated. i spent 30 hrs trying to get out of the burner stage (my least favorite stage of the game) and ran into a brick wall trying to make the next generation of electronic circuits to make fast inserters, and ran out of patience with the complications finding that, to me, it was more trouble than fun.
i did however end up with a single "charged" version, while it was still on the 100% chance,
because the biters move in at random locations,
even if you happen to get a spout out of a nest,
getting a charged version is extremely unlikely,
as not only do you have the small chance of getting the first one,
you now also have to get lucky and have them move back in on top of the one already present,
and then another small chance of it becoming charged.
something to think about.

Dustine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dustine »

Philip017 wrote:well with the previous "bug" having one spawn every base,
i ended up with LOTS on my map,
and it was driving me a little bonkers,
hence the change to make them green.
i have not used the angles or bobs mods,
mainly because they are all dependent on each other and getting them all to work together is more hassle than it's worth to me, i tried 3ra's combination of the mods, but it was beyond me on how to get it working as the game went from mildly complicated to over the top complicated. i spent 30 hrs trying to get out of the burner stage (my least favorite stage of the game) and ran into a brick wall trying to make the next generation of electronic circuits to make fast inserters, and ran out of patience with the complications finding that, to me, it was more trouble than fun.
i did however end up with a single "charged" version, while it was still on the 100% chance,
because the biters move in at random locations,
even if you happen to get a spout out of a nest,
getting a charged version is extremely unlikely,
as not only do you have the small chance of getting the first one,
you now also have to get lucky and have them move back in on top of the one already present,
and then another small chance of it becoming charged.
something to think about.

Alright, I'm back. I still don't think green is the best idea but I feel I've reached a good compromise with this:
Map preview of the new colours
I haven't tested for colourblindness yet, hopefully it should still be visible that way. The pink is visible even under the desert biome, and it's easily distinguishable from the biter's red and oil's magenta.

Also if you're pondering what are charged wells doing between normal wells, that's an upcoming feature for 1.2.0: charged wells have a chance to spawn naturally from biter spawner's death, by default 10%. That should also increase the chances a normal player will ever see a boosted well, ever. That and I increased the boosting chance to 75%, testing atm to see if that's more bearable.

Beyond that, I also have finished said bob-angel's compatibility, which is optional so you can keep the mod on your savegame without any fears.
Bob+Angels setup showing the two new recipes

Dustine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dustine »

New update, 1.2.0 is out!

With it come some potential fixes to the charged well mechanics, alongside some extra recipe chains to add compatibility and seamlessness between modpacks, such as Angel's and Bob's. More details on the main post or on the mod portal!

lfdo20
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by lfdo20 »

Hello, i cant put the pumpjack on the well. It apears ok when mouse over it showing the "0.2/s", but the pumpjack keeps red as not existed.
I think its because of the hardcrafting mod, that changes multiple machines in game, so the hardcrafting pumpjack dont see the goop well.
Is there a way to fix it ?
Thank You

Dustine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dustine »

lfdo20 wrote:Hello, i cant put the pumpjack on the well. It apears ok when mouse over it showing the "0.2/s", but the pumpjack keeps red as not existed.
I think its because of the hardcrafting mod, that changes multiple machines in game, so the hardcrafting pumpjack dont see the goop well.
Thank You
Yes but it'll have to be on my side most likely, I'll see what I can do and release a fix in 1.2.1.

Just to make sure, do you have any more mods, beyond the hardcrafting one, on your game? Any more information, or even a copy of your savegame, would be of much help!

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

your pink selection is much more use able, thank you for that change

for those that want to use another color, due to the version change, the file is now called goop.lua
and you will need to place a building on the spout to update the color change on the map.

FunCarcass
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by FunCarcass »

Is there a way to make it so the destroyed spawner disappears after a while?

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

FunCarcass wrote:Is there a way to make it so the destroyed spawner disappears after a while?
the spawner does automatically dissapear, just takes a while, it could be possible to make the time to live very short however.

FunCarcass
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by FunCarcass »

Philip017 wrote:
FunCarcass wrote:Is there a way to make it so the destroyed spawner disappears after a while?
the spawner does automatically dissapear, just takes a while, it could be possible to make the time to live very short however.
Do you know where in the code that is specified. I'm not well versed in lua scripting, I don't know enough to understand it all, but I seem to be able to edit it (I have successfully edited a few mods). If you could point me in the right direction I should be able to do it. Do you know what file and line(s) that information might be on? I would greatly appreciate any information.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

FunCarcass wrote:
Philip017 wrote:
Do you know where in the code that is specified. I'm not well versed in lua scripting, I don't know enough to understand it all, but I seem to be able to edit it (I have successfully edited a few mods). If you could point me in the right direction I should be able to do it. Do you know what file and line(s) that information might be on? I would greatly appreciate any information.

It is part of the base game prototypes

When some things die they leave behind a corpse entity. corpse entities have a time-to-live set on the prototype, I think all factorio corpses are set to 15 mins by default

FunCarcass
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by FunCarcass »

Nexela wrote:
FunCarcass wrote:
Philip017 wrote:

It is part of the base game prototypes

When some things die they leave behind a corpse entity. corpse entities have a time-to-live set on the prototype, I think all factorio corpses are set to 15 mins by default
Oh wow, I got a reply from Nexela himself; aren't you like famous or something? :shock:
Anyways, thanks so much for replying and sharing that info.

Dustine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dustine »

lfdo20 wrote:Hello, i cant put the pumpjack on the well. It apears ok when mouse over it showing the "0.2/s", but the pumpjack keeps red as not existed.
Thank You
Can't replicate the bug, means it could be another mod in conflict or not. The pumpjacks seem to work well and there's nothing on the mod's logic that would dictate them working for oil and not for goop wells.

1.2.1 is up with a fix for Misanthrope, ty Nexela for the help with understanding how collision masks work. There's a few more bugs, like this one, that I'm unable to reproduce either from missing info or just happenstance... I'm sorry.

Noricum
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Noricum »

I'm not quite sure which mods conflicts with this but i got this (on startup obviously)
Crash image
modlist is quite large right now (bob+angels)
modlist

Dustine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dustine »

Noricum wrote:I'm not quite sure which mods conflicts with this but i got this (on startup obviously)
Crash image
modlist is quite large right now (bob+angels)
modlist
Not a mod conflict but me forgetting to program defensively! Fixed in 1.2.2, which is on the portal as we speak.

Return to “Mods”