[Multiplayer-Funktion] Matchmaking!

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

noliVe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Multiplayer-Funktion] Matchmaking!

Post by noliVe »

Users have currently the chance to join a server and choose where to play.
how about a Matchmaking function you start with X people or whatever
Downloading all nessacary mods from the HOSTSERVER

AS HOST YOU CAN Create a Matchmaking Server
KLICK for PICTURE
While waiting inside a Timer
KLICK for PICTURE
Or can see who is participating
KLICK for PICTURE

Why? not just join a server?!
Well you can see this in the Forum ( Multiplayers ) Everyday TONS of players are searching for people to play with. Well thats great! but who read that?!
Chances are minimal!!! read > re-post > wait for answer > re-post > ........... much lost time....

WIth a matchmaking system players who want to start a new map can just wait for the players to run.

What you think?!?!

Juni_Knytt
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [Multiplayer-Funktion] Matchmaking!

Post by Juni_Knytt »

Absolutely Brilliant

OutOfNicks
Inserter
Inserter

Post by OutOfNicks »

I would support that.
Especially the "automagically" download/installation of mods would be perfect.
I have suffered from the difficulty of finding a game too.
There would have to be a chat function though, so you can communicate while in the lobby.
Unrelated: i would love if there would be a function that marks a mod as "Gfx only", so not all players need it. I wanted to play with a friend of mine who has a really old PC, and his could not run WaiTex. So i had to play without :'( ohh the pixels!
Anyways, a lobby/matchmaking system would be highly appreciated!

Marco123
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Marco123 »

I think this is a nice function !

SilverB1rd
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SilverB1rd »

I'd say that matchmaking is not a good fit for factorio gameplay.

Matchmaking can be great for games where there is
1) player ranking
2) short game length, less then an hour average
3) clear and definitive goals and win conditions

Base Factorio does not fit any of those criteria. Finding people to play with can be cumbersome, but matchmaking is not the best answer.

A better way to find and become part of the numerous Factorio communities (dicords, chat rooms, etc) would lead to better outcomes in my opinion.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=32968 Collection of Of Ideas around Multiplayer: Lobby-Features, Joining, Mod&Game-Loading, ...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Bisa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bisa »

The part on automatic mod download is the most alluring of this suggestion in my opinion - on the topic of matchmaking, I must agree with SilverB1rd, without a way to actually "match" players with each other based on some kind of "rank" all you really can accomplish is putting random players together.

(I try to be constructive in my criticism and attempted to find a suggestion regarding tags and how users could use them to find servers they like but I was unable to find enough motivation for change since tags are already implemented and so is the play-time on a specific game - if ppl want to find new games they can, and having a button to press that will essentially do the same thing as them sorting the list by play time and selecting a random one between the first few servers just seems like syntactical sugar to me - still each to his/her own, keep coming with ideas and suggested improvements, sorry to rack down on this one ;) )
Hosting a factorio server? Take a look at this || init script ||.

noliVe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by noliVe »

yes, yes ladys and gentlemen OF course ,....... teetime?!?!

Matchmaking sure is a common word for games like CS:GO , L.O.L or Whatever comes to mind.
There doesnt have to be a limitation or information about Factorio-Matchmaking because
there are already two Main! Information existent

1. the player want to PLAY NOW
2. the player dosnt want to go to a place inside the forum/steamdiscussion board and look arround

basicly YES, thats not a stupid idea! its not needet anyways people tend to make their own ways to archive victory
but hey. it helps IMPROVING in finding aviable players right from the start!
Matchmaking can be great for games where there is
1) player ranking
2) short game length, less then an hour average
3) clear and definitive goals and win conditions

Base Factorio does not fit any of those criteria. Finding people to play with can be cumbersome, but matchmaking is not the best answer.
why not?! you dont allow players to play together? The basic rules of a sugguestion is to IMPROVE stuff
cumbersome.. nice word thanks for that! but that is the point i sugguested this feature! :mrgreen:
A better way to find and become part of the numerous Factorio communities (dicords, chat rooms, etc) would lead to better outcomes in my opinion.
Discord!? yes thats all true make a lot of contacts go for chat... but the goal was PLAYING together not hang out and wait for someone else coming inside a
Teamspeak-like envoirement.

but as always, look at the forums.. players try to reach out some players viewforum.php?f=53
most of the time its " HEY IM LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO PLAY WITH ".... and how does it end? 2-3 hours later a short reply...thats no fun at all!
or its WAY to late!!!
And Man..---- look at all those open Games in the Server-Browser what can you see most of the time?

1-2 players? maybe 3.... IM NOT SATISFIED with this outcome!

Back to the Basics
- Play together
- Play more right now!
- And infect more players for this good game

( to much passion today :D )
Matchmaking | Find online players call it what you like
would help to improve bigger games

Thanks for reading

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”