minimal cost multiplayer game for casual players

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
siim
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

minimal cost multiplayer game for casual players

Post by siim »

Hello All,

I am curious to know what is the best (cost effective and effortless) option to play factorio with my friends around dozen of hours per month?

I have tried hamachi vpn which works sometimes, but fails too often because of some friends are not able to join or network speed is slow. Also have gone through tutorial on how to setup my own server to host the game - which works fine after some time effort and is still a bit expensive (I guess with a bit of effort I could import-export game saves and use on-demand hosting service).

All hints appreciated :)

ChoMar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: minimal cost multiplayer game for casual players

Post by ChoMar »

I dont know what you want to do.
If you want to defeat the nonexistant DRM, you wont get help here. (what do you mean by "expensive"?)
If you and your friends are looking for a quality server / way to play together, there is a guy here in the forum thats hosting free servers. I forgot about the conditions, but it seemed cool.
Mytronix Entertainment

AndrewIRL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AndrewIRL »

Advertising supported servers: Server-Service] Free Factorio Server (Release)

Initial post is in German, scroll down for English.

siim
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by siim »

ChoMar wrote:I dont know what you want to do.
If you want to defeat the nonexistant DRM, you wont get help here. (what do you mean by "expensive"?)
If you and your friends are looking for a quality server / way to play together, there is a guy here in the forum thats hosting free servers. I forgot about the conditions, but it seemed cool.
We don't want to defeat DRM, we all have bought factorio. We just want to play over the internet for minimal cost to our needs ~10h/m. As I described in my post hamachi vpn works badly and buying server with factorio game setup for 10€/month is expensive compared to how many hours we play together. Buying on-demand linux server with necessity to set it up outselves is expensive in terms of effort.

Thank you for the hint, sounds cool - I will have a look.

siim
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by siim »

AndrewIRL wrote:Advertising supported servers: Server-Service] Free Factorio Server (Release)

Initial post is in German, scroll down for English.

Thank you for the link. It seems that this service is in very early stages of development. I tried to create a server, but game wasn't able to connect to it. Logs showed some "port in use" error - I guess some bug on their side.

noliVe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by noliVe »

hi siim

i changed the misstake sorry for your bad experimence ;P

siim
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by siim »

noliVe wrote:hi siim

i changed the misstake sorry for your bad experimence ;P

Thanks noliVe, now it works

Bisa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bisa »

I saw you took noliVe's offer - still:
siim wrote:As I described in my post hamachi vpn works badly
The match making server should allow you to play without a vpn any way and most if not all port forwarding issues can be resolved with https://portforward.com/

Have fun! :geek:
Hosting a factorio server? Take a look at this || init script ||.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

siim wrote:
ChoMar wrote:I dont know what you want to do.
We don't want to defeat DRM, we all have bought factorio. We just want to play over the internet for minimal cost to our needs ~10h/m. As I described in my post hamachi vpn works badly and buying server with factorio game setup for 10€/month is expensive compared to how many hours we play together. Buying on-demand linux server with necessity to set it up outselves is expensive in terms of effort.

Thank you for the hint, sounds cool - I will have a look.
You don't need a vpn, hamachi, or buy a server at all for playing a few hours a week. Just start a multiplayer game yourself and your friends will be able to join from the server list.

siim
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by siim »

Bisa wrote:I saw you took noliVe's offer - still:
siim wrote:As I described in my post hamachi vpn works badly
The match making server should allow you to play without a vpn any way and most if not all port forwarding issues can be resolved with https://portforward.com/

Have fun! :geek:
Nice, you are right, it works. I don't know why did I miss that.

Return to “Multiplayer”