Friday Facts #184 - Five years of Factorio

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #184 - Five years of Factorio

Post by Klonan »

Another dose of your weekly addiction: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-184

liij
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #184 - Five years of Factorio

Post by liij »

Admin should be able to give player permission to only deconstruct buiduings(structures) constructed only by this player. That would be most anti grief practical thing ever.

Fish
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Fish »

And you guys said the FFF's would become less interesting. Lies! :D

porcupine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by porcupine »

*frothing intensifies*

milo christiansen
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by milo christiansen »

Prehistoric Factorio!

It actually doesn't look half bad... I guess I play too much Dwarf Fortress.

Flash1232
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Flash1232 »

Found a Bug in the Campaign of 0.1 :D

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Wow this really does show how far the game has come. I must admit, I'm kind of fond of how that first version looks. :P

Those server permissions will be awesome and allow for so much more flexibility with how can do what. :D

The rail improvements are quite nice too. It definitely is verging on unplayable on a big map with lots of trains. The wait for 0.15 is becoming harder and harder with all these awesome teasers.
Image Image Image

Floaf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Floaf »

Have you guys given any thought about how the autosave works? In later gameplay it can take 15-20 seconds to save and if you autosave like every 2 minutes (since you are hunting biters) it get a little bit tedious.

Shouldn't it be possible to just make a copy of the game state and saving that state on a separate thread in the background? Of course it still may take some time to copy the state, but it should be much faster.

Just a thought :-)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Floaf wrote:Have you guys given any thought about how the autosave works? In later gameplay it can take 15-20 seconds to save and if you autosave like every 2 minutes (since you are hunting biters) it get a little bit tedious.

Shouldn't it be possible to just make a copy of the game state and saving that state on a separate thread in the background? Of course it still may take some time to copy the state, but it should be much faster.

If it's taking you 15-20 seconds to autosave you either need a new computer or one of the mods you're using is broken. Even on the largest maps it takes me 3.5 seconds max to save the game.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

equitime77
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by equitime77 »

"optimize the path finding code" Hmmm Im really interested in finding out how this works.... It does seem rather inefficient to repath when changing the rails. Also curious to see what happens to the signals, as its also frustrating to have a train waiting at a signal and have other trains coming from behind or otherwise and overtaking it when that one should have gone first. To the point of my current world has very little cross overs. Cant wait for 0.15 to come but only when you guys are ready.

mattj256
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mattj256 »

liij wrote:Admin should be able to give player permission to only deconstruct buiduings(structures) constructed only by this player. That would be most anti grief practical thing ever.
+1

It would be nice to have more granularity in what can be deconstructed. For example, don't allow someone to deconstruct other people's power poles, substations, boilers, pipes, and underground pipes. But allow that person to deconstruct transport belts, underground belts, and splitters. (This should apply to manual deconstruction as well as the deconstruction planner.)

The GUI for permissions is functional but it's not very user-friendly. Instead of having 100 checkboxes, it would be nice if the permissions were grouped into categories and it was easy to turn on and off the whole category at once:

When I check or uncheck "lorem ipsum dolor 1" it automatically checks or unchecks 11, 12, and 13.

Also it would be nice to have a way to clone one group into another group. Example: I create a moderators group, then press "clone", and I get a new group with all the permissions copied.

The more good stuff you put in, the harder it is to wait! Yeah I know it might be another month. Keep up the good work!

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

lol, chrome tells me factorio could be a virus Oo

wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wahming »

nuhll wrote:lol, chrome tells me factorio could be a virus Oo
Replicates, grows bigger, and has a harmful effect on hosts. Check. It's a virus.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

There is a bug:
Attachments
Factorio 0.1.PNG
Factorio 0.1.PNG (381.72 KiB) Viewed 16303 times

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

5 years and still bugs 11!!1111 :lol:

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

I believe those 5 years wouldn't make the bugs disappear because no one has maintained or will maintain it anymore since Kovarex has switched to C++. ;)

Another nice FFF! Well, when a new feature comes to vanilla, I always think about its moddability.
This time, how about letting mods add custom permissions so admin can control who can access a certain features in the mod? You know I'm talking about Creative Mode. :P

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Yoyobuae »

steinio wrote:There is a bug:
Please test with latest version. ;)
nuhll wrote:5 years and still bugs 11!!1111 :lol:
For X number of new features there's always Y number of bugs added.

Besides, Factorio is notable in that it gives players countless tools to break the game in any number of creative ways. :lol:

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

How about making new FFF about what you wish to implement in next 5 years? I mean far beyond current roadmap assuming there is something ;p

rolfl
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rolfl »

I realize that it is nit-picky and pedantic, but Factorio has 8 teeth on the cog, but your cake has only 7 :( Now it looks like a Kubernetes wheel, which is cool, and perhaps a good idea ;-)

Floaf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Floaf »

Rseding91 wrote:
Floaf wrote:Have you guys given any thought about how the autosave works? In later gameplay it can take 15-20 seconds to save and if you autosave like every 2 minutes (since you are hunting biters) it get a little bit tedious.

If it's taking you 15-20 seconds to autosave you either need a new computer or one of the mods you're using is broken. Even on the largest maps it takes me 3.5 seconds max to save the game.
Hmmm, strange. Well, it isn't the newest of computers but it's not that old :-)
Anyway, it was just a thought. Keep up the good work!

Return to “News”