Topics and discussion about specific mods
Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Large Chests

Post by Ranakastrasz »

v10
Added a proper migration script.

Should fix tech on ongoing games Not sure if it will work however, still not 100% sure how migrations work, or how I might go about testing one.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Thanks for updating your other mods. I consider Agent Orange and Modular Armor ReVamp to be among the "core" mods that I need to have to play. But it'd be nice if you could update this mod to 0.13 as well.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

I will update chests, but considering warehouse mod exists, I won't be adding onto it. Warehouse is honestly better. I don't even use this mod anymore.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Ranakastrasz wrote:I will update chests, but considering warehouse mod exists, I won't be adding onto it. Warehouse is honestly better. I don't even use this mod anymore.
That makes me sad. I don't like how Warehouses sounds. It's about an extravaganza of slots (and one user recently reported, in the Warehouse mod thread, that the mod was causing him severe lag) whereas your mod is about "surface area" enabling x2 or x3 as many Inserters to interact with the larger Chests, with the number of slots only being moderately increased.

I also like how your mod requires the previous material of Chest to make, e.g. first you make a Wood Chest, then upgrade to Iron, then to Steel.

And as far as I know the Warehouses only come in one size, a humongous 6x6, whereas your mod offers 2x2 and 3x3 Chests. I don't need the 6x6 ones at all. Frankly, I'll continue to use your mod for as long as you'll update it, but once you stop updating it I won't switch over to Warehouses, I'll just confine myself to using the vanilla Chests. Because I don't like the Warehouses mod.

Still, the game is playable just with the vanilla Chests. Your larger ones just enhance the gameplay. They aren't a necessity for gameplay to be fun the same way Agent Orange and Modular Armor Revamp is.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Peter34 wrote:
Ranakastrasz wrote:I will update chests, but considering warehouse mod exists, I won't be adding onto it. Warehouse is honestly better. I don't even use this mod anymore.
That makes me sad. I don't like how Warehouses sounds. It's about an extravaganza of slots (and one user recently reported, in the Warehouse mod thread, that the mod was causing him severe lag) whereas your mod is about "surface area" enabling x2 or x3 as many Inserters to interact with the larger Chests, with the number of slots only being moderately increased.
I've been playing with it for a while, and have had no lag issues that seemed connected. Also, you apparently went and reduced the capacity anyway yourself manually. That, and my 3x3 chests got a similar capacity upgrade anyhow, since the scroll bar got added. And so on.
I also like how your mod requires the previous material of Chest to make, e.g. first you make a Wood Chest, then upgrade to Iron, then to Steel.
That was mainly since I didn't like having Iron chests sitting around, and didn't want to be discouraged from using them. Admittedly, that part is pretty nice.
And as far as I know the Warehouses only come in one size, a humongous 6x6, whereas your mod offers 2x2 and 3x3 Chests. I don't need the 6x6 ones at all. Frankly, I'll continue to use your mod for as long as you'll update it, but once you stop updating it I won't switch over to Warehouses, I'll just confine myself to using the vanilla Chests. Because I don't like the Warehouses mod.
Incorrect. It gives a 3x3 storehouse as well. I thought the same thing, admittedly. The description certainly didn't imply a 3x3 version when I read it last.
I won't not update it to the latest version, but I will consider it feature complete unless something about chests gets added that needs added to it.
Still, the game is playable just with the vanilla Chests. Your larger ones just enhance the gameplay. They aren't a necessity for gameplay to be fun the same way Agent Orange and Modular Armor Revamp is.
Why do you find Modular Armor mandatory anyhow? I can understand Agent orange, at least, but Modular Armor mostly just adds extra stuff.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.x] Large Chests

Post by Ranakastrasz »

v11
Updated for V0.13.0
Migrated Smart Chests (Converted to Steel)
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.x] Large Chests

Post by Ranakastrasz »

V14.0.12
Updated for 0.14
Large wood chests cannot be burned.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14.x] Large Chests

Post by Ranakastrasz »

V14.014
Fixed Localization error.

Chest techs should actually have their names now.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Sedar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sedar »

Hello. Thank you for this nice mod.
But I can not find any information how to use the buffer chest anywhere. Could you explain how it works?

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

The buffer chest is just a tiny chest that someone requested. Its purpose is to act as a chest that limits itself to a tiny inventory size automatically, instead of having to manually limit the slots a chest has, and then copy it to all the chests. The issue he was having was that he set up dozens or hundreds of chests in a small area as buffer chests, and tended to miss copying the limit to one of them. This was before all chests were smart, so rather than being able to use a wood chest, he had to use a smart chest, 48 slots vs 16. Since there was, and still is no feedback on whether or not a chest is limited, he ended up with a chest or three that were unlimited, and kept eating all his items until he noticed. So, he asked for the chest to be added, I did, and there was much rejoicing.

It doesn't have any special functionality or anything, just tiny, and used to be a smart chest. Now all chests are smart, so its just an expensive tiny chest, just in case someone needs it.
Peter34 wrote:One thing I'd like to see added, is a Tiny Box, with a capacity of 4 slots, made of Wood.

The reason is that often you want to plonk down a row of buffer chests, and slot-limit each of them to 1, 2, 3 or maybe 4 slots, but then in the row of 8 or 10 or however many there are, you forget to limit one of them. Perhaps when you try to paste in the settings, you mis-click, without realizing it.

With the Alt keypress overlay not helping you to see which Chests you've neglected to slot-limit, you have to manually check each and every one, which is cumbersome and annoying. And if you miss a Chest, it'll act as a "black hole", wastefully sucking up vast quantities of stuff.

I think the idea size for a Tiny Box is 4 slots, because then you can still limit it manually to 1, 2 or 3 slots, but if you miss one such chest in a row of many, little harm is actually done, compared to if it happens with a normal Chest with 16 slots, or an Iron Chest with 32.

So it'd just be super convenient to have Tiny Boxes added to this mod as well. I honestly don't care about durability or build cost. It's meant for buffer use. For all I case, it can cost the same time and wood as making a normal Wooden Chest, or even 50% more. I really don't care. It'd still be worth building and using. For that same reason, I don't think there needs to be Iron or Steel versions of it. It is its own thing, used for "buffer" rather than for "storage", and its very virtue is that it has few slots.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Sedar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sedar »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
At first I thought that the nearby buffer chests had the ability to combine their inventory or something similar.
Thanks, now I'll know that these are just chests. Ty again for the mod, 3*3 chests is perfect as buffer storage. :)

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

As a side note, I would like better graphics for the larger chests. Someone apparently already did so, but they did so on the mod portal, and assumed I would see it. Thing is, the mod portal has no update indicators, while I check factorio forums almost daily. Thing is, the link expired, so it kinda didn't work out.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

V14.015
Added some integration for Warehouseing and Bobs mod. Specifically, sorting them into the new Chests Tab. Recipe changes will have to wait until later.

-----

In the future, if warhousing is enabled, Large chests will be fused with Storehouses I think.
Also, If bobs mod is enabled with Circuits.Materials, larger and more advanced chest will use said materials. Mainly circuits initially.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15.x] Large Chests

Post by Ranakastrasz »

V15.1.0
Updated to V15
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Ranakastrasz wrote:V15.1.0
Updated to V15
Thanks for updating it!

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

V15.2.0
-Added great new Graphics by Ace-Athor.

Will have to make a picture to show them off. They looks really good.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Why is the Buffer Chest unlocked so late? It's at the Chests 4 Tech, which requires the R/G/Blue/Purple Magic Science Potions.

I see it as being useful in the early game, when the damage done by accidentally setting a "Black Hole Chest", one with no content-limitation so that it just buffers up many thousands of something you only want to buffer a couple hundred of, is real, because you're in a situation of constant, on-going no-end-in-sight resource scarcity.

By the time you get the Chests 4 Tech, being well able to produce Blue and Purple Potions, the reaction to accidentally having made a Black Hole Chest is a mere *shrug*, because that huge buffer will come in handy fairly soon, anyway. Unlike earlier in the game where you find a huge accidental buffer and realize that it'll be 3-5 hours in the future before that starts being useful.

So as it is, I'm not using Buffer Chests.

Feel free to remove it from the game or reduce it drastically in tier. Unless, of course, someone else comes up and says that they actually like it exactly how it is now.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Ranakastrasz wrote:V15.2.0
-Added great new Graphics by Ace-Athor.

Will have to make a picture to show them off. They looks really good.
They do look nice!

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Peter34 wrote:Why is the Buffer Chest unlocked so late? It's at the Chests 4 Tech, which requires the R/G/Blue/Purple Magic Science Potions.

I see it as being useful in the early game, when the damage done by accidentally setting a "Black Hole Chest", one with no content-limitation so that it just buffers up many thousands of something you only want to buffer a couple hundred of, is real, because you're in a situation of constant, on-going no-end-in-sight resource scarcity.

By the time you get the Chests 4 Tech, being well able to produce Blue and Purple Potions, the reaction to accidentally having made a Black Hole Chest is a mere *shrug*, because that huge buffer will come in handy fairly soon, anyway. Unlike earlier in the game where you find a huge accidental buffer and realize that it'll be 3-5 hours in the future before that starts being useful.

So as it is, I'm not using Buffer Chests.

Feel free to remove it from the game or reduce it drastically in tier. Unless, of course, someone else comes up and says that they actually like it exactly how it is now.
Not really sure. Still, given that Picker extended lets you do the same thing, AND you can drag-set settings, I don't think it is really needed anymore. Am going to remove it.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

Installed it, researched it all...then found out that major recipe changes on the steel chest force you to have to deal with iron chests and wooden chest.

Any code substitution work-around for this?

Perhaps some settings to keep original recipes of base chests?
Regards,
~B

EDIT: Fine now once I added automated wood production in my almost woodless world.

Return to “Mods”