Looking for a good starter mod pack, and tutorials

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
The-Zee-System
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Looking for a good starter mod pack, and tutorials

Post by The-Zee-System »

I just bought this game a few weeks ago, played the vanilla and saw there was mod-packs, i have played a lot of minecraft mod-packs, but seems to be easier in factorio thankfully.

question is, what is a good starting modpack that has a lot of new stuff but not overwhelming? I tried arumbas mod-pack but it added way to much stuff way to fast.

And I'm also looking for a good youtuber that does tutorials on mods and vanilla i could check out and learn from.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

meems
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Looking for a good starter mod pack, and tutorials

Post by meems »

don't think there is a well defined starter pack. U might have to fish around a bit.

what aspects of vanilla did u enjoy the most?

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

meems wrote:don't think there is a well defined starter pack. U might have to fish around a bit.

what aspects of vanilla did u enjoy the most?
This is the important question, because it will inform as to which mods you might appealing, I know that Bob's mods, and Angel's mods are well regarded and used by many (including many on here; I've considered trying my hand at a Bob's/Angel's game, but for now, 0.15 is probably not far off, and there's some 0.14 stuff I haven't finished yet anyways, so I think I'll wait until I've had my immediate fill of 0.15 before doing that).

The-Zee-System
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by The-Zee-System »

I like the automation part of the game, i like peace ful mode but my favorite part is setting up a base that is fully automated. If that helps?

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Well that's the name of the game lol I don't think there are any mods that detract from that other than some that make it too easy.

You can keep playing vanilla until you get your perfect factory, try your hand at achievements or with self-imposed restrictions (don't lay any belts!) which can be pretty fun. Then you've got mods the likes of Marathon that basically extends the vanilla game to be much longer and more difficult. Bob's Mods (wouldn't try Angel's to start with) massively increase the complexity of recipes, instead of copper > copper wire + iron = circuit you've got something like

wood > wooden board + (Tin > Tin Copper Wire + (Coal + Water > Carbon) > Electronic Component) > Basic Electronic Board

And this is a component of the equivalent of the Electronic Circuit. (note the above may not be accurate as running off a few months old memory but it's the sort of thing you can expect)
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

jasmine2785 wrote:I like the automation part of the game, i like peace ful mode but my favorite part is setting up a base that is fully automated. If that helps?
Do you want to achieve mathematically perfect ratios between production plants and logistic at any costs or do you prefer practical engineering in which you accept 80 % performance if you save 80 % of the work? Bob's and Angel's mods give many processing steps, intermediate products and side products, some alternative production chains and much interesting thighs to automate, but if you can not live without exact perfection, you may feel them too complicated.

There are many youtubers and you have to probably find your own favorites, but I like to watch Cathrine of Sky and Nilaus when I have to rest my overloaded mouse hand. They have tranquil and purposeful style, ability to concentrate what they are doing and they do not freeze for 3 minutes if they have to make a simple calculation. They have interesting long series with varying mod sets and self imposed rules (and maybe some actual tutorials too, if I remember correct).

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

jasmine2785 wrote:I like the automation part of the game, i like peace ful mode but my favorite part is setting up a base that is fully automated. If that helps?
I think vanilla might still have a lot to offer you then. Are you familiar with the Building Store concept? Have you tried to get the Lazy Bastard achievement yet?

Return to “General discussion”