Only one way to used coal.

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Aeden
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Only one way to used coal.

Post by Aeden »

Hi everyone.

On my map i have a lot of coal. I would like to be sure if the only way to use it for furnaces, boiler and vehicules (train + car) ?
I used normal generating ores and i get to much than i need lol. Somes ideas ? I'm new by the way .. :p

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Only one way to used coal.

Post by Drury »

If you have too much of it, stockpile it.

By the way, coal is also used to make plastics.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Toward endgame coal gets more and more useless. When in oil industry you can make light oils, heavy oils and even the petroleum gas into solid fuel making coal useless except for making plastics and explosives.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

I wouldn't waste oil on fuel. Oil wells dry up too quickly for that and you need that oil for those plastics.

Especially if you have an abundance of coal.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

I always make solid fuel from my light oil, which has no recipe apart from being cracked to heavy oil or petroleum. Never had a problem with oil running out or not having enough oil for my other products.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

I crack everything to gas as it's the most important resource, everything is made out of it (except lube, which you need only small amounts of). I used to make fuel but it always resulted in oil wells running low too early before I got enough petroleum gas stored so I phased that out altogether and just used coal for fuel.

Molay
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Molay »

Coal is also used in explosives I believe, so if you want to place a bazillion land mines around your base (use bots for this!) the coal might come in handy. But if you really have that much, just fire it all up in the boilers. If you really want to use tons of coal later for explosives and find yourself low, it should be easy enough to find another big patch somewhere and bring it home via train or so.

Aeden
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Aeden »

Thanks for your reply :) Last question, how many boilers are need for 1 steam engine ? I use to have 3 boiler for 1 steam engine but i'm not sure to be right.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Aeden wrote:Thanks for your reply :) Last question, how many boilers are need for 1 steam engine ? I use to have 3 boiler for 1 steam engine but i'm not sure to be right.
Roughly 1.5 boilers per steam engine seems to be a good ratio. So for 3 boilers, you can safely put 2 steam engines.

Return to “Gameplay Help”