Friday Facts #180 - Map interaction

Regular reports on Factorio development.
slaphappypap
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #180 - Map interaction

Post by slaphappypap »

While we are on the topic of maps, can we get some type of large overview map for the map editor? Right now when you zoom out in the map editor it doesnt zoom very far out and it takes like 15 or 20 minutes to scroll around to determine if i'd like to use this freshly generated map. With a larger map-screen for the map editor, i could zoom out in that (with the whole shown map being visible) and determine if i can use this generated map within 3 minutes. It would be a huge quality of life improvement for those that use the map editor. I dont know anything about Lua, so my customization happens in the map editor.

Luofu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Luofu »

Hi.

I like the idea of searchable item on the map. For ores. Maybe extend it to be able to search for everything? like "wooden box".
And highlighting what was found.

also highlight the ore patch with an outline if you see the remaining quantity.

The electric network as color red is too limiting.
maybe a changing color pattern so every line is clear visible regardless of background.

the changing color pattern could also be used on every highlighting.

for the future. maybe more costumizazion by letting us change the colors ourselve? like color of construction robot area/logistic robor area and so on.

thanks!

KrzysD
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by KrzysD »

My body is ready, and I'm ready to take off the week from work to play!

I only have one complaint which I hope will be addressed.
Attachments
My only complaint
My only complaint
Screenshot_1.jpg (22.58 KiB) Viewed 7651 times

stootachtig
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by stootachtig »

"Dude, where's my car?" Would be a nice feature in the map view. So many times I've lost my car and build a new one, only to end up with 10+ cars scattered all over the factory and a few more in storage chests somewhere.

KrzysD
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by KrzysD »

eradicator wrote:Nice! Work!

If i had to pick one of the features from the "what's next" list i'd pick being able to select train stations from the map. The current station selection window when setting up schedules is so tiny and shows only 5 stations at a time. With dozens of stations that quickly becomes exhausting and i usually have to look at the map anyway to double-check the station names.
I suggested this in the "Little quirks" Topic
KrzysD wrote:Having to click the plus every time I want to add a station and wait condition, takes a lot of time, maybe adding the station list and wait list to the side would speed things up, double click them into the current train you have selected, drag and drop maybe, would help me out a lot.

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

I have a request for the new map feature "Custom Tags". I'm sorry if this has already been brought up before me but I don't have the time to read all replies right now.

Would it possible to make tags which are shared by all players? I.e. if I setup a tag "should make a mine here" every player on my server can see it.
That way, it would be possible to organize jobs like you do with Trello (low functionality but still). Would really help me organize multiple friends working on the same factory and stop everyone from asking "wait what should I do next?" every 10 seconds. :D
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Escadin wrote:I have a request for the new map feature "Custom Tags". I'm sorry if this has already been brought up before me but I don't have the time to read all replies right now.

Would it possible to make tags which are shared by all players? I.e. if I setup a tag "should make a mine here" every player on my server can see it.
They already mentioned that possibility in the FFF, and I think it will be the default behavior (just like with train stops):
As you can see it can be used to mark different parts of the factory, it can be used in multiplayer to coordinate different kind of tasks
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

psihius
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by psihius »

Tweak the stone color on the map - it's quite hard to find it, as it is usually also in the small patches :)

Jesperhk
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Jesperhk »

When you launch the rocket into space with radar, it should show a really really big part of the map around your base, so you could see where to expand, or not.
And see where the big horde of biter are moving, so you would know when to prepare for impact!.. don't know, just trying to give some idears :lol:

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

stootachtig wrote:"Dude, where's my car?"
"Dude! Where's your car, dude?"
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

lordjoda
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lordjoda »

Oh other (small?) wish for 0.15 please allow us to specify screen resolution! (Yes I know I can put it to fullscreen but I don't need that I need a specific resolution) Having to resize the screen to 1080p each time the game starts is quite anoing. I know this has be requested several times in the form, but still...
I'm a german Let's Player. If you like have a look at https://www.youtube.com/user/MightyPiratesLP

tvardero
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by tvardero »

sabriath wrote:Suggestions

1. Have Red/Green wiring overlay.
2. Create a "node" object that can be Red/Green wired and named (seen on map), when you mouse over in the map, you can get a glimpse of information that is passing through the node.
3. Have a "heat" map based on how much electricity objects are using.
4. Have a button that will flash all vehicles, maybe even have an arrow of some sort to really get the point across that your car wasn't destroyed, and you simply misplaced it among all the other buildings and trains in the railyard.
+5. Add thickness of the line on map of powerlines, f.e. lvl3 power line is widest and lvl1 power line is thinnest.
+6. Add conditions for rail station arrival, f.e. if Fuel<50 -> GoTo Station "Fuel Refill"
+7. Add alien target marker, place which now they attack.

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

Nice!
Smarter Map View is a thing ,but how about a smarter train browser? ATM Trains preview realtime map is just nonsense. How about using the new map features in the train browser, IE to display routes or something?

Display rail hotspots on the map.

And you display roboport area of influence, and power pole connections. How about roboport connections and power pole area of influence?

thecatlover1996
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by thecatlover1996 »

Maybe keyboard shortcuts to toggle the different map overlays (roboports, trains, pollution, etc.)? :)

beelzerob
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by beelzerob »

Would love to see an overlay of any turrets range of fire so I can easily find any gaps in the defense.

madpav3l
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by madpav3l »

All these additions are very nice but I want to see all my stuff in logistic network, when this is gonna be fixed?

sarge852
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by sarge852 »

I rely on logistic robots for transport quite a lot, I'd like to be able to, for example, set a logistic frequency (and possibly construction robots as well) so that 2 or more different logistic networks could overlap and operate independently (chests would also be able to be tuned). This could make way for the use of different types of bots as well like a heavy transport robot (that I believe has been added with mods (e.g. slower but can carry a stack)) or something like a repair robot, possibly faster and with more HP compared to regular construction robots but is restricted to repair only. Maybe even defense networks with persistent military robots?

Tev
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tev »

Integrate the interaction into the train to allow semi-automatic one-time train order that wouldn't be limited to train stations.
OMG SO MUCH YES.

I mean, no need for custom for-player-only stations. Isn't that just full of win?

Only minor addition I would use a lot would be "show on map" option for stations (and maybe trains?). You can rename / reroute them from the distance, but map lacks any kind of search, which I guess would be much harder to implement than simple "show on map" just for trains / stations.

catheterizedeye
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by catheterizedeye »

really nice job on the progress. i have a small suggestion i dont know if this is possible, could you, allow for multiplayer, in a setting add a non-grief mode for most/all items. I know this would be hard to implement, for example not allow other players (except admin) to dismantle objects placed by a player other than that person who placed the item. A lot of items wouldn't work pipe, wall, turrets, chests ETC. because these could be used to troll by penning people in, but im sick of people in multiplayer removing power poles and a reason i got banned from a server was because of a person doing the chest'splosion trick, and blaming me. This might be hard to implement but maybe a timed setting, a little like rank, so if a person plays on a server for 1 or 2-3 hours they can destroy anything but fresh players will have to earn the trust of the admin/server owner. something like this will discourage trolls from jumping on a large headless world with no players and trashing the place.

infogulch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by infogulch »

• "Dude, where's my car?" - stootachtig
  • Labels on blueprints?
    It would be nice to make labels part of a blueprint so that if you constructed many of them they would all be labeled automatically instead of having to be labeled manually.
  • Opacity slider for pollution?
    I'd like to keep an eye on pollution but as implemented you can't see anything else when it's on (and there's a lot). Maybe the binary on/off would be better served as a slider would allow displaying pollution as a very transparent layer instead of obscuring the whole map.
  • Fog of war for competitive multiplayer?
    I feel like merely discovering a patch of ore some time in the past shouldn't give you complete information about it into the future without something (radar) updating it.
Question: how is the "ore patch" determined? Based on the terrain generator? If there are two ore patches of the same type of ore that touch is that a single patch? If so, is the ore patch finder algorithm resistant to extreme settings that would make a "single" ore patch that happens to cover a huge area due to many generated patches touching? (Sorry, the defensive programmer in me is itching.)

Return to “News”