Add option to turn off syncing of autosave to Steam Cloud

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Add option to turn off syncing of autosave to Steam Cloud

Post by deepdriller »

What it says on the tin. When your internet connection is made of bamboo, this can be relevant.
As tiny as a normal save can be (my largest save is 10MB, after compression, although more ambitious players might have twice that), the syncing of these files eats my bandwidth for several minutes. In this time, I can't start the game again.
And no, I don't want to turn off the cloud entirely, I want my work to survive a potential head crash, thank you very much.
(On a side note: Why does the save file include a copy of the freeplay-locale?)

vtx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Add option to turn off syncing of autosave to Steam Cloud

Post by vtx »

Check proprieties of factorio in steam, second panel you can deactivate steam cloud for factorio.

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deepdriller »

vtx wrote:Check proprieties of factorio in steam, second panel you can deactivate steam cloud for factorio.
deepdriller wrote:And no, I don't want to turn off the cloud entirely, I want my work to survive a potential head crash, thank you very much.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

deepdriller wrote:And no, I don't want to turn off the cloud entirely, I want my work to survive a potential head crash, thank you very much.
So how you want it to act? Although the question is redundant anyway since cloud saving is handled by Steam and only has two options, on or off.
deepdriller wrote:On a side note: Why does the save file include a copy of the freeplay-locale?
Factorio copies the complete scenario into the savegame so you can also continue it on an installation where that scenario is not installed, for example in multiplayer. This is done for all scenarios, and freeplay is one.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deepdriller »

But how does Steam know which files need to be synced? Clearly either the game submits a list, or the save folder is synced directly. In either case, there are ways to subvert that.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

deepdriller wrote:But how does Steam know which files need to be synced? Clearly either the game submits a list, or the save folder is synced directly. In either case, there are ways to subvert that.
It's the contents of the saves folder (see here) and the player-data.json, maybe some other files too.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

vtx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vtx »

When the cloud is enabled it tends to compare the cloud to your hard drive to see which is newer.

It's how cloud sync work. I think my point is still valid because how it'll be different to disable in-game instead on steam directly?

Locale folder unziped only take 156 KB.
Last edited by vtx on Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

Keeping auto saves off the cloud (while manual saves are on cloud) would certainly be nice for a slower internet connection.
Personally (and I suspect many people) only really use autosaves for crash recovery (which is pretty rare :) ) and explicitly save anything I want to keep, and like that getting backed up and synced to my other devices.
daniel34 wrote:
So how you want it to act? Although the question is redundant anyway since cloud saving is handled by Steam and only has two options, on or off.
I have seen other games that allow a per-save cloud choice when on steam, e.g. with a checkbox when saving. In my experience with those games (e.g. when trying to send a friend a save), steam cloud saves just go in a different directory to the non-steam saves (e.g. in Steam/userdata/:userid/:gameid/remote/, where turns out Factorio already puts some config files)

Borax Kid
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Borax Kid »

I know this is an old topic but is there a way to do this now?
I have a slow internet connection and I don't really need the auto saves to be in the cloud.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Just put your saves somewhere else?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Borax Kid
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Borax Kid »

If I move the autosaves the game will just recreate some in the original directory I believe

Stargateur
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Stargateur »

Divinity original sin 2 have this feature, total war warhammer, while I don't have a list of game that have this feature just by memory, I know that it's exist. Factorio savefile are BIG, I think this feature would save a lot of bandwidth for both user and steam cloud server. Also, when you need to close and open factorio doing some mod stuff and that your cloud sync take forever it's really slowing you.

That would also allow to not fear to have more autosave slot.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”