Friday Facts #32

Regular reports on Factorio development.
slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #32

Post by slpwnd »

DRBLN
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #32

Post by DRBLN »

Great!

I hope you'll earn a lot of money.

WhiteZero
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by WhiteZero »

I can definitely say the trailer did its job. I saw the trailer yesterday, downloaded the demo today and played all the way through, and then shortly after made my purchase. Great work!

It seems like the ripe time to launch a full Greenlight campaign. What are you guys waiting for? Gotta strike while the iron is hot! Or... maybe the iron isn't quite hot enough yet? If you could release preview code to the media outlets and embargo it for a specific date, sync that up with the Greenlight release, that would do the trick. But with such a great trailer, I would have loved to see a "Vote for us on Greenlight!" at the end.
Last edited by WhiteZero on Fri May 02, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amenomade
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Amenomade »

+/u/dogetipbot 42 doge

Puzzlemaker
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Puzzlemaker »

Well considering the purchase rate of the game seems to have skyrocketed, I would say it did it's job! Hooray!

Avarant
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Avarant »

Awesome trailer!

Btw I've been loving the blueprint system for mass expansion. And there's just something about barrels of oil that inspires lust and greed for more oil. I find myself stockpiling barrels and barrels of it, just to have it. Maybe it's because I'm American. :roll:

JohnTS
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JohnTS »

I love it, so happy for your guys success!

As was said a few posts above, now indeed is the time for the GREENLIGHT campaign to get started! All the momentum is in Factorio's favor right now. I guarantee you it will get greenlit faster than you can blink!

Chrotesque
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chrotesque »

Awesome trailer, it's fun to watch and showcases the key aspects of the game pretty darn good - great work and I also love the new logo!

badminton
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by badminton »

Love it.
I watched it twice more after reading about the mistakes you weren't happy with and I still can't see them :lol:

Can't wait for those new particle effects, is the train really going to blow out steam when it stops? I don't remember seeing that come up on the forum but it's an awesome addition.

Also I love the sounds. If you could get it working like that in the actual game it would be brilliant.
They were atmospheric but didn't seem loud or monotonous enough to get annoying like they do in other games (Space Engineers).

The new steam engine is amazing too. Very steam punk.

Anyway, keep it up :D

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

Hahaha that trailer is awesome and hilarious. I want that save!!!

Seriously... great job guys. It is awesome!

reinei
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by reinei »

Great Trailer, Great Game, Great Progress (can there ever be enough 'Great' in an 'after-show-post'?).
And especially great that Mojang didn't want you Kovarex, else we wouldn't have this Game to play :P

Algram
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Algram »

I have the weird feeling that it is getting too late to go on Greenlight now..
With every minute passing the game gets more advanced and more finished, but that is not the point of a greenlight game.

I think you are setting your goals too high and that might cost you, just my 2c.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

badminton wrote: Can't wait for those new particle effects, is the train really going to blow out steam when it stops? I don't remember seeing that come up on the forum but it's an awesome addition.
At the moment it is a custom scripted effect in the trailer control.lua. But we think it looks cool and it will be put into the engine eventually (when the sound effect is there as well).
badminton wrote: Also I love the sounds. If you could get it working like that in the actual game it would be brilliant.
They were atmospheric but didn't seem loud or monotonous enough to get annoying like they do in other games (Space Engineers).
A lot of them are in the game ready for 0.10 already (inserters, miners, assemblers, furnaces, etc.). We will be adding more (train, car, oil industry, etc.).
badminton wrote: The new steam engine is amazing too. Very steam punk.
Albert did a great job on that one.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Algram wrote:I have the weird feeling that it is getting too late to go on Greenlight now..
With every minute passing the game gets more advanced and more finished, but that is not the point of a greenlight game.
Not sure what you mean here. Earlier we felt we needed to do the greenlight campaign and get on steam asap because we were running low on cash to continue development. That danger has passed (at least for some time) now. We still want to do the greenlight campaign and get on steam eventually. It's just that it is not as urgent at the moment.
Algram wrote: I think you are setting your goals too high and that might cost you, just my 2c.
Our goal is to have a good and enjoyable game.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

The quality of the video is unsatisfactory compared to the original (Youtube recompresses the video) and we keep seeing more and more tiny little errors in the trailer - things like bad timing of honking when the train leaves the sorter, too close zooming now and there, one of the biters being rendered "inside the worm", clash sound on the bridge played a bit too early. So we monitored the reactions rather anxiously.
This is cute.

Imagine the headlines:
FACTORIO TRAILER SCANDAL

On May 1st, developers of a small indie "game" presented their "efforts," acquiring a large wave of criticism.

"It was going well for the first 20 seconds so I bought the game at that point," one watcher admits, "but then the camera zoomed in too much and I wasn't sure if I had made a good decision. But then I saw... That space bug, it clipped right through some sort of hole in the ground and that was it. I sent them an e-mail requesting refund on the spot, but they didn't reply for a long time. I was patient. I waited. In fact, I waited till the bugs crossed the bridge and got ran over by a train that honked late. That left me speechless. Not only they ignored me, they even lacked the decency to make the train honk a second earlier on top of their earlier mistakes! I had to close trailer that instant and start writing a formal letter. I'll see them on court and I pray to God they won't get away with mistreating their customers like this."

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

Drury wrote:
FACTORIO TRAILER SCANDAL

On May 1st, developers of a small indie "game" presented their "efforts," acquiring a large wave of criticism.

"It was going well for the first 20 seconds so I bought the game at that point," one watcher admits, "but then the camera zoomed in too much and I wasn't sure if I had made a good decision. But then I saw... That space bug, it clipped right through some sort of hole in the ground and that was it. I sent them an e-mail requesting refund on the spot, but they didn't reply for a long time. I was patient. I waited. In fact, I waited till the bugs crossed the bridge and got ran over by a train that honked late. That left me speechless. Not only they ignored me, they even lacked the decency to make the train honk a second earlier on top of their earlier mistakes! I had to close trailer that instant and start writing a formal letter. I'll see them on court and I pray to God they won't get away with mistreating their customers like this."
All lies! In the past every bug I ever reported was fixed within the week, and I'm sure next Friday there will be a Trailer 0.3.0.1 patch that fixes camera zoom and trains honking out of sync. And it will introduce a train driving backwards in one shot and a pipeline that has the wrong color, but that will be fixed in the week after, I'm sure! :mrgreen:

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

:D :lol: I laughed tears...

But it sounds like a good idea to record this video again from time to time to see the small differences in progress.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Kadaban
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kadaban »

The trailer could have really needed a higher bitrate. Once the zooming and moving starts everything gets a blurry and pixelated.

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

That's youtube compression for you. I think vimeo.com might be a better option. Not sure, but my impression is that vimeo generally has better video quality.
Ignore this

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Vimeo allows gaming videos?

Return to “News”