[0.13] Roboport option to output construction needs

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

justarandomgeek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.13] Roboport option to output construction needs

Post by justarandomgeek »

It would be great for the roboport, in addition to Robot and Logistics statistics, to have an option for Construction Statistics, which causes it to output the needed items to complete construction for all ghosts within range of the network.

This way, we could build a network that produces a wire request for all the items it needs to complete construction, which can be used to trigger these items to be sent into the network from elsewhere.

Edit: Also, an option to output unfilled requester amounts. Negative values in contents mode would be pretty intuitive - you have this many of these things, and this many "holes" for these other things.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.13] Roboport option to output construction needs

Post by Twinsen »

Been thinking about this.
Maybe I will do something like this in 0.14

justarandomgeek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by justarandomgeek »

Twinsen wrote:Been thinking about this.
Maybe I will do something like this in 0.14
I guess I'll have to mod my own way around it for my self-replicating power field until then ;) (In combination with an updated Recursive Blueprints mod - which is going to get a lot smarter!)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I added this to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=18093 Roboport/Logistic Network/Robot enhancements

There are also a lot of more or less similar suggestions
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2686 Requester chest for other network
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2912 Chests for construction bots
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4983 high priority logistic provider chest
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Rhamphoryncus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Rhamphoryncus »

I was writing up my own suggestion for this but rather than make a new post I'll just add it here, since it's basically the same concept argued a little differently.

When reading logistic network contents via wire on a roboport it should include outstanding requests and construction items. This would let you automatically export any trash or pull in missing items, particularly in these use cases:
  • FFF-140 outposts could pull construction items off the train without maintaining constant stock of them. Wood and other items could be pushed back into the train
  • Subdivided networks (such as bot unloading of trains) could pull construction across the networks. Player logistics slots could pull across the networks. Player trash could push back to the main network.
This reduces or eliminates the need to disable autotrash slots outside the main network.

This would be greatly aided by two other suggestions:
  • Controlling stack size in filter inserters (to prevent moving too many items at once)
  • Reading contents from a train car (allowing you to limit contents without applying slot filters, even to the point of allowing arbitrary items to be loaded.)
One step further would be satellite uplinks or radio communications that allowed you to uniquely communicate with each outpost. This would let you fully automate what resources are loading and unloaded in both directions. Mods could cover this aspect however.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

0.14? Here's hoping it will be a feature for 0.15 now.
It'd make outpost building nearly fully automated with LTN. 8-)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I push this suggestion also. :)

Plus:
- A combinator which can filter signals (either all but this signal or all signals but not this).
- A combinator that works like a heating regulator: One "current"-signal-wire and one "should"-signal-wire (signals for each item-type). Outputs every second (or so) a signal, which is how much needs to be requested/provided - like in a thermal heating (which then turns the burner on or off). This is complex to describe in detail, but there is no magic, the knowlegde how this works is well known, see for example: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heizungsregler or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HVAC_control_system
Because such a regulation is slow by definition it reduces the number of signal-changes per second a lot. I explained it also here: search.php?keywords=heating&t=36976&sf=msgonly (which includes also an idea about the minimum stack-size, that should be requested).

PS: LTN is definitly something that improves gameplay with trains. What's needed is this suggestions (requests and construction requests of a network).

(And a lot of tweaking to make the handling easier. :) )
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

yukinyaa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by yukinyaa »

bump. Would love this feature

XANi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by XANi »

It is already possible via [some](https://mods.factorio.com/mod/GhostScanner) mods, altho in apparently not very effective way. Would be nice to have additional option for roboport to
  • Output building requests (so blueprints/repairs)
  • Output resource requests (requester/buffer chests)
just as negatives (or alternatively switch between outputting content and requests)

stm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Roboport option to output construction needs

Post by stm »

Not That I would not like that feature, but It is not really neccessary.
Just set the minimum level of anything you might need to any value above 0. When the roboport wants to build something the robots take it and it will be replaced.
Thus not really that important in my opinion.
Stm

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”