Friday Facts #179 - New resource graphics & concrete

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #179 - New resource graphics & concrete

Post by Drury »

Guys arguing colors of the ores is pointless.

Most people don't know what ores actually look like IRL so videogames just go with old conventions (iron is gray = iron ore is gray). Very few people know what uranium ore looks like (thankfully), but most people associate radioactivity with neon green plutonium rods so that's what most radioactive stuff is now. These conventions might seem a bit misleading but they're not bad per se. Neon green stuff is more awesome than boring yellow lumps of what might as well be sulfur. And having brown ore turn into gray iron plates while grayish ore turns into brown plates is just counter-intuitive.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

With the new look for ores it is really visually confusing where the actual ore boundaries are so I support the idea of highlighting ore boundaries when you place drills

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deepdriller »

There's more than one ore for anything.
HematitaEZ.jpg
HematitaEZ.jpg (75.52 KiB) Viewed 8289 times
This is hematite, the most common iron ore.
Chalcopyrite-Quartz-237645.jpg
Chalcopyrite-Quartz-237645.jpg (54.73 KiB) Viewed 8289 times
This is Chalcopyrite, a copper ore.
Uranocircite-51177.jpg
Uranocircite-51177.jpg (75.19 KiB) Viewed 8289 times
And while someone previously posted autunite (the black one is called pitchblende, btw), this uranium ore called Uranocircite has a much more impressive green.

As you can see, there's no reason to argue.
(All pictures taken directly from wikipedia. Took me, what, ten minutes of research?)
EDIT: Is there any way to resize images?

devilwarriors
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by devilwarriors »

Not really trying to argue about it, they can do whatever they like best for vanilla.

But that mod is still comming day 2 :P

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

deepdriller wrote:
Uranocircite-51177.jpg
Wow, I had no clue it was so pretty.
Jürgen Erhard wrote:Now I want a Python assembler. :D
Well, you're in luck!

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Hi to V453000 : Friday Facts #179 -

Post by brunzenstein »

Hi to V453000

As a beta tester for professional Mac & iOS software I recommend you give "Affinity Designer"

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/designer/

a good hard and long look.

It incorporates the functionality of Photoshops pixel power with Illustrators path functionality in such a brutal as elegant and dead cheap (50 bucks - no subscription) package that it becomes irresistible for many.
I'm in no way affiliated with the Indi Scottish developers Serife - I wish I would be;-)

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deepdriller »

golfmiketango wrote: Wow, I had no clue it was so pretty.
You'd be surprised how pretty geology can be sometimes. Just look at this pyrite crystal, another iron ore.
And keep in mind: It hasn't been altered in any way, that's just how they grow naturally.
There are many more examples, but that's enough.
Last edited by deepdriller on Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alanore
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Alanore »

Since you anounced that 0.15 will be delayed, you shared fantastic FFF info. It is more fantastic than it should be because it becomes some kind of torture for me. You let us see all the awesome things and you're not letting us touch it. I read every FFF and bought factorio just because i have so much respect after you. Now i'm trapped inside of factorio. We cannot get out, a FFF moves in the dark. We cannot get out... 0.15 is coming.

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Hi to V453000 : Friday Facts #179 -

Post by V453000 »

brunzenstein wrote:Hi to V453000

As a beta tester for professional Mac & iOS software I recommend you give "Affinity Designer"

It incorporates the functionality of Photoshops pixel power with Illustrators path functionality in such a brutal as elegant and dead cheap (50 bucks - no subscription) package that it becomes irresistible for many.
I'm in no way affiliated with the Indi Scottish developers Serife - I wish I would be;-)
I've heard and read about it but I have no reason to change from Photoshop at this point, also the newer versions of Ps have the Place Linked feature which allows me to reference and auto-update files from the disk, which is absolutely critical for me when working with renders which need to be updated constantly. idk if affinity has that

But thanks for the hint :)

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by V453000 »

devilwarriors wrote:Not really trying to argue about it, they can do whatever they like best for vanilla.

But that mod is still comming day 2 :P
glow is coming for sure <3

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Hi to V453000 : Friday Facts #179 -

Post by brunzenstein »

V453000 wrote:
brunzenstein wrote:Hi to V453000

I've heard and read about it but I have no reason to change from Photoshop at this point, also the newer versions of Ps have the Place Linked feature which allows me to reference and auto-update files from the disk, which is absolutely critical for me when working with renders which need to be updated constantly. idk if affinity has that

But thanks for the hint :)
nine minutes which may change your mind - forever:

the version 1.5 mentioned in this video is already out and its working like a breeze
https://vimeo.com/169816724

https://vimeo.com/182383520
https://vimeo.com/182383667

By the way - I know the business model of Adobe well - compare this to 50$ one time payment

Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Daid »

Rseding91 wrote:We don't care. It's going to be green in Factorio because that looks better.
Never let realism get in the way of fun/good game play :-)

But I'm wondering about something else. Is uranium going to be a single use ore? As in, it is only useful for power generation? As everything else has multiple uses. Coal can be power, for smeling and you need some for plastic. Iron and copper you need for everything. And even stone has a bunch of different uses.

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deepdriller »

Daid wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:We don't care. It's going to be green in Factorio because that looks better.
Never let realism get in the way of fun/good game play :-)

But I'm wondering about something else. Is uranium going to be a single use ore? As in, it is only useful for power generation? As everything else has multiple uses. Coal can be power, for smeling and you need some for plastic. Iron and copper you need for everything. And even stone has a bunch of different uses.
Referring you to my earlier post about very green uranium ore.
And here you can find a discussion about more uses for uranium.

lingnau
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lingnau »

Drury wrote:Guys arguing colors of the ores is pointless.

Most people don't know what ores actually look like IRL so videogames just go with old conventions (iron is gray = iron ore is gray). Very few people know what uranium ore looks like (thankfully), but most people associate radioactivity with neon green plutonium rods so that's what most radioactive stuff is now. These conventions might seem a bit misleading but they're not bad per se. Neon green stuff is more awesome than boring yellow lumps of what might as well be sulfur. And having brown ore turn into gray iron plates while grayish ore turns into brown plates is just counter-intuitive.
Like. :D
_________
Whatever I said is not legally binding.

3LollipopZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by 3LollipopZ »

God, one day I would love to see mixed ore patches.

Faen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Faen »

So the Uranium ore is not definitive? If I could choose how uranium ore goes I would go for a blackish Ore with just some green spots that glow in the darkness. That would be so cool!!!

This is just a fast concept, It should be some more greenish parts and be MOre glass-osidian like, and be better drawn ofc.
Last edited by Faen on Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thetoolcrafter
Inserter
Inserter

Post by thetoolcrafter »

Sauerkraut wrote:The new ores look spot on! Very nice!

One question though: will the ore-piece displacements be actually random in the game, or will you just create a set of randomly generated ore-tiles and include those? Former one would be cool af, but I imagine it would be hard for modders to create a similar effect with custom ores.
dude, I think that it would take up less memory to make it randomly generated, but some of the effects may not be anticipated if it somehow goes weird. They can either add some good ones in (which would take up more space, as they would need 20+ of each one so there is variety) or randomly generate. If they randomly generate, they would probably have to mess around with the values so they can be sure that it wouldn't be really weird. We'll have to see, unless a dev sees this message :D

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

The uranium shadow looks weird, like its hovering above ground.

The same applies to the other ores, but the powder effect sorta hides it a bit. Looks cool otherwise

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

PacifyerGrey wrote:With the new look for ores it is really visually confusing where the actual ore boundaries are so I support the idea of highlighting ore boundaries when you place drills
Same here. That said, the new looks is FRIGGIN AWESOME. HAYO.
-------
Given the different shape, I am hoping for modders to be able to get information on how to create ores to match the new scheme, without figuring out how to write the code themselves or recoloring. I don't do graphics, but even so, I have no idea where I might start for this.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

ili
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ili »

Ores Looks very good now
Only thing left to do is renaming the "Uranium" to Tiberium and we good to go!

O.M.G We need a mod with harvesters and a refineries!!! :o
Last edited by ili on Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “News”