Friday Facts #179 - New resource graphics & concrete

Regular reports on Factorio development.

morcup
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #179 - New resource graphics & concrete

Post by morcup »

Yay
Check out my server.
Server thread at: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=35528

joon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by joon »

Really like the new ores generation, great work :)

mattj256
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mattj256 »

Yay. Still looking forward to 0.15....

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

Stop teasing with .15 shinies and just release it already!:D

It's done when it's done, and I'm ok with that (almost).
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

AcolyteOfRocket
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AcolyteOfRocket »

The old tiles looked ok to me, but then maybe I'm a bit of a Spartan :D.

I hope the conversion to render-1-tile-with-4-squares from render-1-tile-with-1-square doesn't come and bite us in the butt.

Sauerkraut
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sauerkraut »

The new ores look spot on! Very nice!

One question though: will the ore-piece displacements be actually random in the game, or will you just create a set of randomly generated ore-tiles and include those? Former one would be cool af, but I imagine it would be hard for modders to create a similar effect with custom ores.

Rhamphoryncus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Rhamphoryncus »

Looking awesome!

I'm a little concerned that tiny tiles at the edges may not be visible. Normally just an irritant but may cause actual problems when resources are generated adjacent to each other and you get some stone in your copper pipeline..

The different ore types look a little "samey". I want to suggest making some rounder and others sharper although comparing uranium to coal seems like you already do that. Hrm.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

What's with the heavy noise around the ores? Is this on purpose or an artifact of a fast render?

It almost ruins how good they look otherwise :D

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

The ores are gorgeous, well done ! This hype train has no brakes !!! :O

Helex288
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Helex288 »

Amazing, just amazing! :D :D :D

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

Stunning. I'd be absolutely stunned if the final result is really meant to pop up with a 3d like effect over other entities such as belts just the way it does in this picture

That is just gorgeous. As for feedback is there any chance you maybe tone down the shinyness of stone and coal? I think that would make it perfect.

PS: I'm starting to think there is a downside to all of the recent HD re-texture and professional remodeling work. New models created by the average modder are going to stick out like crazy. Even the difference in quality between your work and that of an honest attempt to immitate it will be poking my eyes as much as those neon blue recoloured assets we sometimes have to put up with.

How are we ever going to get mods which can call "seamless blending with the base game" one of their features? You're raising the bar too high! :D
Last edited by Escadin on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

Hamster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Hamster »

The new ores looks great, well done!

Vasekdvor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vasekdvor »

Rhamphoryncus wrote:Looking awesome!

I'm a little concerned that tiny tiles at the edges may not be visible. Normally just an irritant but may cause actual problems when resources are generated adjacent to each other and you get some stone in your copper pipeline..

The different ore types look a little "samey". I want to suggest making some rounder and others sharper although comparing uranium to coal seems like you already do that. Hrm.
Yeah thats my words, when i saw that new dev blog.

I think that there should be an option to choose which ore you want to mine in the mining drill window.

And of course if this new ores design come to live, there should be a new design of mining drill, because the mining drill (electrical or burning) looks like a pretty small in comparison with the new ore "design".

Titan21
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Titan21 »

The new ores really look great, but will it make miner-placing more difficult because the boundaries of an ore-patch are harder to spot?

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

Now I want a Python assembler. :D

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Escadin wrote:PS: I'm starting to think there is a downside to all of the recent HD re-texture and professional remodeling work. New models created by the average modder are going to stick out like crazy. Even the difference in quality between your work and that of an honest attempt to immitate it will be poking my eyes as much as those neon blue recoloured assets we sometimes have to put up with.
This is already an issue now, without the HD graphics. Most mods look terrible and I'd never use them, even if it's just the lighting a little off. Some gave up trying and just recolor default sprites... which also looks horrible as they were not designed to be recolored.

One solution would be to open source all tools they used to create the graphics once the game is finished, so modders will be able to use them too.

HammerPiano
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by HammerPiano »

I guess you can say that we have concrete evidence that patch 0.15 will come out soon
No? Ok whatever.
The new ore graphics look amazing!

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by V453000 »

Zeblote wrote: ...
One solution would be to open source all tools they used to create the graphics once the game is finished, so modders will be able to use them too.
The issue is that even with the tools it still needs insane amount of effort and fanatical attention to detail to make it look nice.
I'm not trying to say "yo I am the only one who knows how to use it", just trying to point to the fact that people tend to think just clicking the button with The Tools is all there is. :P

That doesn't mean we won't ever release some source files, I don't know. But generally the issue is that the 3D sources have GIGANTIC filesizes to share them all, for one ... and there would likely be more problems...

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

Urectium is now green?

Return to “News”