GreyGoo Mk I: A self-expanding factory

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
NiftyManiac
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: GreyGoo Mk I: A self-expanding factory

Post by NiftyManiac »

I've posted an updated v2 version, which fixes three bugs that caused it to stop and adds chain signals to help with train deadlock. Thanks DragonHeart. Also, I set this up to run 24/7 on a private server so we can really see the limits of this thing :).
Anomoly2012 wrote:My hope was to be able to place down 4 robo ports at the 4 corner big pole spots to make the network for just that cell... then place down a set up where i put in a blueprint i want built in the cell.. and then have another cell be storage for all the various goodies are stored have a train bring out the items and have the cell build it...
I like the ideas. Sure, should be completely possible. Naturally, you'll need to handle oil collection and transport yourself, but otherwise it's entirely doable. A few caveats:
  • If you plug your construction cell into the global red and green wires (which you may want to do, if you want to be able to communciate back to base) you'll need be careful not to interfere with the signals already on the wire. If you stick to positive virtual signals on the red wire you'll be OK. Negative values on green should also be OK, but check the signal documentation (linked in the OP) to make sure you don't affect any of the code variables, since they read directly from the green wire.
  • If you want to be able to plug in a blueprint and send a signal to retrieve the correct materials by train, you'll need a way to do that conversion. I do it just with a bunch of constant combinators I hard-coded with item counts. A better way would be to use the Blueprint Digitizer from Recursive Blueprints or Read Blueprint Info command from ConMan. I haven't tested either, though.

Anomoly2012
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anomoly2012 »

NiftyManiac wrote:I've posted an updated v2 version, which fixes three bugs that caused it to stop and adds chain signals to help with train deadlock. Thanks DragonHeart. Also, I set this up to run 24/7 on a private server so we can really see the limits of this thing :).
Anomoly2012 wrote:My hope was to be able to place down 4 robo ports at the 4 corner big pole spots to make the network for just that cell... then place down a set up where i put in a blueprint i want built in the cell.. and then have another cell be storage for all the various goodies are stored have a train bring out the items and have the cell build it...
I like the ideas. Sure, should be completely possible. Naturally, you'll need to handle oil collection and transport yourself, but otherwise it's entirely doable. A few caveats:
  • If you plug your construction cell into the global red and green wires (which you may want to do, if you want to be able to communciate back to base) you'll need be careful not to interfere with the signals already on the wire. If you stick to positive virtual signals on the red wire you'll be OK. Negative values on green should also be OK, but check the signal documentation (linked in the OP) to make sure you don't affect any of the code variables, since they read directly from the green wire.
  • If you want to be able to plug in a blueprint and send a signal to retrieve the correct materials by train, you'll need a way to do that conversion. I do it just with a bunch of constant combinators I hard-coded with item counts. A better way would be to use the Blueprint Digitizer from Recursive Blueprints or Read Blueprint Info command from ConMan. I haven't tested either, though.

I will definately take a look at the new save... Any tips for a new world start up, after collecting all the required items for start up blueprint? I want to see what is required to get this set up in a legit playthrough.. Small base to supply the needs of this... then try to transition into this design... would make for some interesting mini builds... yeah im just worried about the train stations... everything else can be handled on site.. Since i should be able to tap into the existing network if the scout was turned off could it not use the existing the current train system? im thinking just simply supply-demand stations.. have mini robot networks set up in the empty cells...

As to the network... thats another issue... im still working out all this network stuff... would love to find someone willing who has a better understand of networks that could design a few simple stations that connect into the network... the brain for all this is another matter...

Ive got a basic understand of how this system works as ive watched about 50 cells progress... I'm interested to see what happens to cells after the resource is completed.. does it auto deconstruct them? is the current brain running anything in regards to the starting 9 cells? or any cell after it has been completed by the scout? or is it just the scout program running?

DragonHeart996
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DragonHeart996 »

here is my rocket producing save!
Attachments
greygoo1_publish_starter_ROCKETS_2.zip
(17.01 MiB) Downloaded 283 times

DragonHeart996
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DragonHeart996 »

Anomoly2012 wrote:I'm interested to see what happens to cells after the resource is completed.. does it auto deconstruct them? is the current brain running anything in regards to the starting 9 cells? or any cell after it has been completed by the scout? or is it just the scout program running?
when resources are gone nothing happens. trains just stop visiting the station because it has no more resources. the brain runs nothing outside of the scout.

Anomoly2012
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anomoly2012 »

So my thinking on this may be twisted... And as I am on a limited understanding of this complex a system is WAY beyond me... while i am trying to learn and understand various designs it's all trial and error... While i understand the complexity of this design.... and that it does 1 amazing job at self building and expanding... Now i want to try to build a base outa this design... and there are a few questions..

So i want to add a basic simple mini network builds... 4 ports and some logistic bot builds... The Main focus would be like a Town's LP... each cell produces X.. whatever X may be i don't think there would be a need for the main focus of this build to be affected by this... My only thought to adding to this network already in place would be a supply/demand train stop... Could there be a system set up to a blueprint that places everything needed but a requester/provider chest set up after and then wired into the network... that could then go to the next cell in the system that required or supplied any product another requester/provider chest set up needed....

So this could be something that is done while the scout is not in motion... so there is no further cell expansions... as you said it could be done by tapping into the red/green lines.... this would solve fluid issues as well... you just stamp down the Train Stop, plop down a requester/provider and request/provide items into the system... So you go and build an oil setup in a cell that provides X and i would suggest barrels for storage... =) then just a simple battery, accumulator build... just request in the items needed from cells that provide resources... all while the base expands itself... you would of course shut down the secondary building stuff by just not expanding... and if you can find a way to add more trains... which i think i saw you saying it could expand up to 10 trains?? you could even use the already installed train stop that has a resource...

Hopefully i have given people something to think about... It does Possess some interesting builds designs... i just have no clue on the networking part... so if there's anyone willing and interested to help me with this design...

I would be greatful.. i can even post some of the builds i'm toying with... be a completely different type of play through.. once i have a the designs and thinking out science to get into this asap... but that's just simple backtracking from blueprint demands.. im looking forward to this actually..... =) build a base specifically designed to build this.... =)-

Thank's

Anomoly2012
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anomoly2012 »

DragonHeart996 wrote:
Anomoly2012 wrote:I'm interested to see what happens to cells after the resource is completed.. does it auto deconstruct them? is the current brain running anything in regards to the starting 9 cells? or any cell after it has been completed by the scout? or is it just the scout program running?
when resources are gone nothing happens. trains just stop visiting the station because it has no more resources. the brain runs nothing outside of the scout.
So you could manually go in and remove everything not needed freeing up the cell for further production.... Thanks... That Solves another issue i was working out....

Anomoly2012
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anomoly2012 »

DragonHeart996 wrote:here is my rocket producing save!

I'll have a look... May have some answers/idea's im working on myself... Thanks...

DragonHeart996
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DragonHeart996 »

Anomoly2012 wrote: I will definately take a look at the new save... Any tips for a new world start up, after collecting all the required items for start up blueprint? I want to see what is required to get this set up in a legit playthrough.. Small base to supply the needs of this... then try to transition into this design... would make for some interesting mini builds... yeah im just worried about the train stations... everything else can be handled on site.. Since i should be able to tap into the existing network if the scout was turned off could it not use the existing the current train system? im thinking just simply supply-demand stations.. have mini robot networks set up in the empty cells...

As to the network... thats another issue... im still working out all this network stuff... would love to find someone willing who has a better understand of networks that could design a few simple stations that connect into the network... the brain for all this is another matter...
look at the tutorials for the original logistic train network mod. the setup is mostly the same in terms of basic provider/requester stations. as for hooking into the network, just plug in the stations like you would into any other train network. as long as nothing you build is in the way of the scout's path, it won't break. you could even use normal train networks on the same tracks with no problems, and tear down the internals of completed cells and build sub-factories inside them. so long as you don't accidentally split the rails into to completely separate networks (thus preventing the scout from getting resupplied), the whole thing should work fine, and as a happy side-effect you will never need to worry about power during the day (until it gets oil production integrated and can build accumulators as well)!

DragonHeart996
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DragonHeart996 »

Anomoly2012 wrote: So i want to add a basic simple mini network builds... 4 ports and some logistic bot builds... The Main focus would be like a Town's LP... each cell produces X.. whatever X may be i don't think there would be a need for the main focus of this build to be affected by this... My only thought to adding to this network already in place would be a supply/demand train stop... Could there be a system set up to a blueprint that places everything needed but a requester/provider chest set up after and then wired into the network... that could then go to the next cell in the system that required or supplied any product another requester/provider chest set up needed....

So this could be something that is done while the scout is not in motion... so there is no further cell expansions... as you said it could be done by tapping into the red/green lines.... this would solve fluid issues as well... you just stamp down the Train Stop, plop down a requester/provider and request/provide items into the system... So you go and build an oil setup in a cell that provides X and i would suggest barrels for storage... =) then just a simple battery, accumulator build... just request in the items needed from cells that provide resources... all while the base expands itself... you would of course shut down the secondary building stuff by just not expanding... and if you can find a way to add more trains... which i think i saw you saying it could expand up to 10 trains?? you could even use the already installed train stop that has a resource...
because of how logistic train network works, you don't even need to tap into the circuit network. that is only used for preventing the mixed ore stations from causing problems, and relaying info to/from the scout. you just need to tap into the central unloading depot, and from there just act build a distribution network like you would in any other game, with separate trains for each ore. you don't even need to use the logistic train stops if you find them too complicated!

DragonHeart996
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DragonHeart996 »

Anomoly2012 wrote:
DragonHeart996 wrote:
So you could manually go in and remove everything not needed freeing up the cell for further production.... Thanks... That Solves another issue i was working out....
yup! just tear down everything except the rails and the power poles, and leave it just like the scout leaves cells that have no ores in them.

Anomoly2012
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anomoly2012 »

DragonHeart996 wrote:
Anomoly2012 wrote: I will definately take a look at the new save... Any tips for a new world start up, after collecting all the required items for start up blueprint? I want to see what is required to get this set up in a legit playthrough.. Small base to supply the needs of this... then try to transition into this design... would make for some interesting mini builds... yeah im just worried about the train stations... everything else can be handled on site.. Since i should be able to tap into the existing network if the scout was turned off could it not use the existing the current train system? im thinking just simply supply-demand stations.. have mini robot networks set up in the empty cells...

look at the tutorials for the original logistic train network mod. the setup is mostly the same in terms of basic provider/requester stations. as for hooking into the network, just plug in the stations like you would into any other train network. as long as nothing you build is in the way of the scout's path, it won't break. you could even use normal train networks on the same tracks with no problems, and tear down the internals of completed cells and build sub-factories inside them. so long as you don't accidentally split the rails into to completely separate networks (thus preventing the scout from getting resupplied), the whole thing should work fine, and as a happy side-effect you will never need to worry about power during the day (until it gets oil production integrated and can build accumulators as well)!

Well with a simple supplier/requester chest system.. the whole thing would rely on what is supplied/requested... and have the build be completely indepent would solve that issue... then it would be just add the stop into the scout network as a requested item.. OP already said he wanted to add the system into the main brain... it could just be on hold till accumulators enter the network... have it test the cell for a need of accumulators... then have it skip the step until the required accumulator is in the network?? Idk if this is even possible... but its definately has fun ideas....

Ill look for the tutorial... maybe i can figure it out... =)

Anomoly2012
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anomoly2012 »

DragonHeart996 wrote:
Anomoly2012 wrote: So i want to add a basic simple mini network builds... 4 ports and some logistic bot builds... The Main focus would be like a Town's LP... each cell produces X.. whatever X may be i don't think there would be a need for the main focus of this build to be affected by this... My only thought to adding to this network already in place would be a supply/demand train stop... Could there be a system set up to a blueprint that places everything needed but a requester/provider chest set up after and then wired into the network... that could then go to the next cell in the system that required or supplied any product another requester/provider chest set up needed....

because of how logistic train network works, you don't even need to tap into the circuit network. that is only used for preventing the mixed ore stations from causing problems, and relaying info to/from the scout. you just need to tap into the central unloading depot, and from there just act build a distribution network like you would in any other game, with separate trains for each ore. you don't even need to use the logistic train stops if you find them too complicated!

will those tutorial show me how to add a supplier/requester set up like i want?

Anomoly2012
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anomoly2012 »

DragonHeart996 wrote:
Anomoly2012 wrote:
DragonHeart996 wrote:
yup! just tear down everything except the rails and the power poles, and leave it just like the scout leaves cells that have no ores in them.

which fits 4 robo ports that cover the whole cell... =) limited space for a build... but could be a good bot system...

DragonHeart996
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DragonHeart996 »

NiftyManiac wrote:I've posted an updated v2 version, which fixes three bugs that caused it to stop and adds chain signals to help with train deadlock. Thanks DragonHeart. Also, I set this up to run 24/7 on a private server so we can really see the limits of this thing :).
one small bug: if you have too much of a surplus of one ore (say 75K copper), and a outpost has enough of it (say 30K) then the combinator dealing with priority related to that ore at the outpost overflows, outputting zero, and the trains act as if it had none of the surplus ore, causing a positive feedback loop. luckily, the fix is simple: set the priority combinators at the dropoff station to be divide by -10 rather than multiply by -1. the relative priorities work out the same, but the numbers are ten times smaller, so no overflows!

DragonHeart996
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DragonHeart996 »

Anomoly2012 wrote:
DragonHeart996 wrote:

Well with a simple supplier/requester chest system.. the whole thing would rely on what is supplied/requested... and have the build be completely indepent would solve that issue... then it would be just add the stop into the scout network as a requested item.. OP already said he wanted to add the system into the main brain... it could just be on hold till accumulators enter the network... have it test the cell for a need of accumulators... then have it skip the step until the required accumulator is in the network?? Idk if this is even possible... but its definately has fun ideas....

Ill look for the tutorial... maybe i can figure it out... =)
logistic train network deals with supply/demand, letting you use trains like logistic bots in functionality. the circuits add a bit more smartness to make sure the central dropoff does not get clogged with one ore, but if you only have one item per train stop, LTN's basic resource handling will never clog up.

DragonHeart996
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DragonHeart996 »

Anomoly2012 wrote:
DragonHeart996 wrote:

will those tutorial show me how to add a supplier/requester set up like i want?
you can use the basic vanilla train conditions if you want. just take the output from the central sorting station, load it onto your everyday train network, one line per ore, and treat it like you would a mining outpost that only outputs one ore.

DragonHeart996
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DragonHeart996 »

Anomoly2012 wrote:
DragonHeart996 wrote:
Anomoly2012 wrote:
DragonHeart996 wrote:

which fits 4 robo ports that cover the whole cell... =) limited space for a build... but could be a good bot system...
also remember: you can span multiple cells if need be - you can run a belt under the tracks

DragonHeart996
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DragonHeart996 »

DragonHeart996 wrote: logistic train network deals with supply/demand, letting you use trains like logistic bots in functionality. the circuits add a bit more smartness to make sure the central dropoff does not get clogged with one ore, but if you only have one item per train stop, LTN's basic resource handling will never clog up.
if you do go with LTN though, don't put the raw ores on it. smelt them first, or you'll have a big mess on your hands! :)

Anomoly2012
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anomoly2012 »

DragonHeart996 wrote:
one small bug: if you have too much of a surplus of one ore (say 75K copper), and a outpost has enough of it (say 30K) then the combinator dealing with priority related to that ore at the outpost overflows, outputting zero, and the trains act as if it had none of the surplus ore, causing a positive feedback loop. luckily, the fix is simple: set the priority combinators at the dropoff station to be divide by -10 rather than multiply by -1. the relative priorities work out the same, but the numbers are ten times smaller, so no overflows!
But so long as you don't interfere with the scouts system... could you not add another brain to handle a smaller train station request/supply needs... just have it watch the network for the needs of the various train stops... separated networks

Say you need X number of a finished product... have the network detect a demand for this item, then go through a build that sends all required items to the final product is achieved... Complete BS of me.. as i dont have the network skill... =)

Would completely resolve the fluid issues... just have each cell built individually... You only need to add the request/provide system installed... which seems to be doable.. going to watch a few train network tutorials..

Anomoly2012
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anomoly2012 »

DragonHeart996 wrote:
DragonHeart996 wrote: logistic train network deals with supply/demand, letting you use trains like logistic bots in functionality. the circuits add a bit more smartness to make sure the central dropoff does not get clogged with one ore, but if you only have one item per train stop, LTN's basic resource handling will never clog up.
if you do go with LTN though, don't put the raw ores on it. smelt them first, or you'll have a big mess on your hands! :)

A had thought to have a bot smelting cell that can produce plates... would the current network allow a request ore to this cell, to be turned to plate/brick and then send that over to a storage cell... and go from there... just have robo ports in the cell, and request say 10k iron/copper/stone into the cell to be handled.. then have it keep requesting ore till X amount of plates are in the system for that cell... then just set up a green circuit build and request iron and copper to make green's... then add them to the storage cell... and then just progress out from there...

Edited : I have never done anything like this in any of my previous builds... i normally do a main bus system.. This is still a bit new to me... But It got me back into playing instead of waiting for 15 to drop... =)
Last edited by Anomoly2012 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”