[MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [MOD 0.14] Alien Biomes

Post by Earendel »

xeln4g4 wrote:I wonder why it has so few download!!!!
Not enough people telling other people to download it ;)

Seriously though, I think a big reason is that unlike most mods you can't just add it to an existing game without it showing lines between the old and new biome distribution when you explore more land. So you don't install it right away and you think to yourself "I'll install this for my next game" and then you forget.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Version 0.1.7 has some new original tree graphics.
Attachments
volcanic.png
volcanic.png (192.31 KiB) Viewed 7317 times
firtree.png
firtree.png (220.09 KiB) Viewed 7317 times

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Earendel wrote:Version 0.1.7 has some new original tree graphics.
Oh they look really awesome, your creation I suppose?

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Arch666Angel wrote:
Earendel wrote:Version 0.1.7 has some new original tree graphics.
Oh they look really awesome, your creation I suppose?
Thanks, yes my creations.

PeteTheLich
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PeteTheLich »

you

vs. tile she tells you not to worry about.

your volcanic tile looks severely cool.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

I was surprised how much of an atmospheric impact this has on the game, it really cranks up the immersion by having really warm climates in one area then freezing tundras in another.

The colored forests really remind me of Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun, with the sudden shift from normal tundra to forested blue trees. I was half expecting tiberium lifeforms to inhabit the area and attack at any moment.

Perhaps that's an idea to look at, some passive lifeforms that just roam the biomes to add additional life outside of aggressive biters. They surely couldn't be the only things living here aside from fish, since the world does seem pretty dead... unless the biters ate everything.

Biwel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Biwel »

can i use the mod to load my old safe game and how doe's effect it then?
i would guess only the new explored area will be new?

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Biwel wrote:can i use the mod to load my old safe game and how doe's effect it then?
i would guess only the new explored area will be new?
Correct.

takefour
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by takefour »

I love this mod, but the biomes are really quite small. Did you ever work out the terrain segmentation issue?

icdmize
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by icdmize »

I know it's probably too soon but should we expect a version for 0.15 soon? It looks like a meteor shower obliterated my world when I upgraded.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

I have been working on updating for 0.15 all day. I have a version that seems to work now but it needs more testing. I don't want to release it too early because a mistake could mean that the world does not form properly and updating won't fix it once chunks have been generated. Please be patient, it may be a day or two yet.

Also the new vanilla red desert is spawning in the wrong place so I need to move that... and also fix the vanilla red desert tile transitions.

zebez
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zebez »

Thanks for the update and the hard work! Miss my snow :D

osuf
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by osuf »

This is the most amazing mod!

Just adding these terrain variations gives so much to the feel of the game. It would be fun if some effects of the different biomes would be relevant too - e.g. efficacy of different machines (smelting more efficient in warm biomes), spread of pollution, and variations in resource&biter generation. This could then motivate that a big base isn't clumped together but for natural resources is partitioned to different biomes.

Though, I'm having an issue with the mod on 14.20. Cutting down trees grinds the game to a halt. It doesn't seem to happen as much whilst chopping but rather when the chopping is completed. The lag seems to go beyond the tree destruction animation as well - say 1 FPS for perhaps 10 seconds.

The issue has been tracked down to this particular mod, which is why I unfortunately have to play with it off. However I play with a large number of other mods and have not tested without them. Including rso, angels, bobs, and yuoki.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

The update for 0.15 is now out.
osuf wrote:This is the most amazing mod!

Just adding these terrain variations gives so much to the feel of the game. It would be fun if some effects of the different biomes would be relevant too - e.g. efficacy of different machines (smelting more efficient in warm biomes), spread of pollution, and variations in resource&biter generation. This could then motivate that a big base isn't clumped together but for natural resources is partitioned to different biomes.

Though, I'm having an issue with the mod on 14.20. Cutting down trees grinds the game to a halt. It doesn't seem to happen as much whilst chopping but rather when the chopping is completed. The lag seems to go beyond the tree destruction animation as well - say 1 FPS for perhaps 10 seconds.

The issue has been tracked down to this particular mod, which is why I unfortunately have to play with it off. However I play with a large number of other mods and have not tested without them. Including rso, angels, bobs, and yuoki.
The issue you described does not happen when just this mod is installed. Please provide a complete mod list because it's probably a combination of mods that causes the problem.

wdyt
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by wdyt »

Great mod! Is it possible to change how large the biomes are? I would love for them to be much bigger.

I poked around in map generation, and it looks like it's tied to terrain_segmentation. But I couldn't fiddle with it to get it to work - is it possible to add a configuration file to change this?

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

wdyt wrote:Great mod! Is it possible to change how large the biomes are? I would love for them to be much bigger.

I poked around in map generation, and it looks like it's tied to terrain_segmentation. But I couldn't fiddle with it to get it to work - is it possible to add a configuration file to change this?
It ends up being controlled by the same noise layers as water placement, so if you have low frequency water the biomes will be bigger. I put quite a lot of time into finding a way to make the biomes larger in general in Factoriog 0.14 and I will try again in Factorio 0.15 at some point but am busy with other things right now (such as getting the decals to look right on all biomes).

sbadkins4@yahoo.com
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sbadkins4@yahoo.com »

AlienBiomesMissingSoundError.png
AlienBiomesMissingSoundError.png (14.36 KiB) Viewed 6883 times
On 0.15.4

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

The missing sounds problem has been fixed.

Shin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Shin »

Beautiful mod that fits really well with the vanilla landscapes without looking weird. Great work!

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Shin wrote:Beautiful mod that fits really well with the vanilla landscapes without looking weird. Great work!
Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

There's a slight issue right new where the stone decals can overlap the water and look weird, not sure what I can do about that :?

Return to “Mods”