Option to turn off notifications

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

DigitalShadow
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Option to turn off notifications

Post by DigitalShadow »

Just a thought I had, reading the FFF regarding those nifty programmable speakers you plan to implement. Wouldn't it be a super convenient option to simultaneously increase play difficulty and give the speakers a useful role if you add a "damage sensor". That would allow/require the player to manually set up their own perimeter security system :D

DigitalShadow
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Option to turn off notifications

Post by DigitalShadow »

For clarification, when I say turning off notifications, I'm referring to the built in alarm that sounds when items in the factory take damage or are destroyed

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I'm not sure if you can turn them off, but what you can do is turn the sound off by turning the volume to zero. Fairly sure a lot of things have their own option, and that alarm is one of them.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

DigitalShadow
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DigitalShadow »

This is very true, and I do often play as such. There is still no way I know of to disable the visual warnings, though

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=16566 Alerts, Alert-Info (Map), visible/audible Indication, Handling Notifications/Alarms
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

DigitalShadow
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DigitalShadow »

Hooray, thanks for considering the idea :)

DigitalShadow
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DigitalShadow »

Without access to the forthcoming programmable speaker, I don't quite know how it will work for this purpose just yet, but I do notice the option "show alert"

Imho, this is a great opportunity. I was already hoping for a block dedicated to creating custom alerts with or without the option to disable vanilla alerts, and hopefully this will fulfill that role. Ideally, I would love to see a few specific features added to the speaker for all my alert needs:
  • Permissions: In multiplayer, the ability to restrict sound/alerts from global to specific players, factions, subgroups within factions
  • Alert Icon: The ability to set icon that will appear on-screen
  • Alert Range: Perhaps a global variable, set at game start, allowing either infinite range of sounds/alerts or some level of maximum
  • Dynamic Output: Output based on fixed rules of input combinations, rather than a set condition
    • The speaker would not only allow for different pitches based on signal, but also instrument, volume, alert icon, range, etc.
    • Rather than having a designated "on" condition, the speaker would react based on combinations of inputs. Only utilizing a single condition seems limiting and redundant; The circuit network already has units dedicated to making conditional decisions, so why not use those to decide when to play a note, and send the appropriate signal to the speaker
    • Much denser setups could be achieved with this method, especially in the case of the relay. Rather than set up identical banks of speaker units every so often to have even coverage within the base, single speaker units could be set up periodically and linked to create a sort of "intercom" system
  • By adding a "damage taken" and "object destroyed" signal to the circuit network, and assigning those signals to alarm sounds on the speaker, vanilla behavior could be reproduced by wiring objects directly to speaker blocks. If magnitude is translated into pitch, the signal would increase in pitch as the object takes more damage
  • If an x and y value are fed into the speaker unit, it could be used to offset the alert icon on the map
  • in the absence of a coordinate signal, the location of the signals origin could be used, to prevent all alerts showing on top of the speaker itself (on the map)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”