Friday Facts #174 - Mod gui

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #174 - Mod gui

Post by Selvek »

justarandomgeek wrote:
Cabanur wrote:Having the full RGB space to color is great, but if I'm honest it's a bit cumbersome to get the exact same numbers when i want the same color on two trains with different routes (i color them by cargo type, not by route).

How about a selection of colors (16, maybe 32) with a button for "custom color" with the current GUI?
Or at least the colors we have signals for!
Seconded. My suggestion would be to have a pallet of standard colors, plus the ability to add custom colors to that pallet so that you can easily reuse your favorite ones.

Also, IMO color selection is more intuitive with an HSV slider rather than an RGB slider.

Sigma1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sigma1 »

I would love it if you made the gui elements more open so for example mods could add or remove weapon slots and things like that.
she/they

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Sigma1 wrote:I would love it if you made the gui elements more open so for example mods could add or remove weapon slots and things like that.
Yes, that would be useful.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Strategic Sage
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Strategic Sage »

Agreed. Changing the quickbar size instead of just adding more would also be beneficial along that line.

R3vo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by R3vo »

Any chance we could get some default colour templates for locomotives and train stations? I am thinking about some basic colours for iron, copper, coal, oil, uranium?

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Or trains if there are more than one.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Rseding91 wrote:
bobingabout wrote:good to know.

is this in 0.14, or do I have to wait for 0.15 to use it?
It's in 0.14.

Additionally I expanded it to include support for scaling and shifting for 0.15 essentially allowing masks for icons.
So... 0.14 allows you to specify an array of icons, which can hold a tint, which are overlayed on top of each other.

0.15 adds x, y, width, height and scale to allow you to use a sprite sheets for icons, like we do now with most other sprites?
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

bobingabout wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:
bobingabout wrote:good to know.

is this in 0.14, or do I have to wait for 0.15 to use it?
It's in 0.14.

Additionally I expanded it to include support for scaling and shifting for 0.15 essentially allowing masks for icons.
So... 0.14 allows you to specify an array of icons, which can hold a tint, which are overlayed on top of each other.

0.15 adds x, y, width, height and scale to allow you to use a sprite sheets for icons, like we do now with most other sprites?
It adds scale and shift. I might add the rest of the properties.. I'll have to see if there's a reason I didn't do so.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

pawel.dawidowski
Inserter
Inserter

Post by pawel.dawidowski »

R3vo wrote:Any chance we could get some default colour templates for locomotives and train stations? I am thinking about some basic colours for iron, copper, coal, oil, uranium?
What would be really cool is to have a simple checkbox that automatically assign a locomotive color depending on its cargo. Then just by seeing the train you actually know or suspect whats its content.

yousai
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by yousai »

pawel.dawidowski wrote:What would be really cool is to have a simple checkbox that automatically assign a locomotive color depending on its cargo. Then just by seeing the train you actually know or suspect whats its content.
Well you know, we have this Alt-View thing...

Saint
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Saint »

If i mod my GUI, can i play on a vanila server ? Or do any mod direct blocking that i can play on a vanila server?
Playtime Factorio ~1300 hours Last Stand
Achievement 100% since a very long Time

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

Saint wrote:If i mod my GUI, can i play on a vanila server ? Or do any mod direct blocking that i can play on a vanila server?
Server and client must have the same mod with the same configuration. So your gui modded must be on the server as well.
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

Saint
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Saint »

i know it but i hoped that it give any option ;)

i take a screenshot why i will mod my gui. If you look in the right bottom corner you see that only 1/3 of all items listed. in my big storage to much items to see the full item list

@Dev`s is it possible to make any changes that we can see all items ? i cann only see the first ~ 60 items from ~160

maybe add a button on the minimap to minimize it, or something like this.
Attachments
The GUI is to Small
The GUI is to Small
gui to small.jpg (242.75 KiB) Viewed 6739 times

driver
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by driver »

Just looking on the screenshot above: Research could be a clickable button and there's no real need to have a button for achievements on the screen (could be somewhere else under options).
The right frame could be static and nontransparent. The inventory and quickbar could be larger if you scale up the gui.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Saint wrote:i take a screenshot why i will mod my gui.
I think you're misunderstanding what this is about. You still can't modify any of the default guis, it's just about making all the custom guis have a consistent style.

y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by y.petremann »

If you want, there is this mod that automaticaly hide minimap when looking at logistic chest
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/daniel34 ... p-autohide

Saint
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Saint »

driver wrote:Just looking on the screenshot above: Research could be a clickable button and there's no real need to have a button for achievements on the screen (could be somewhere else under options).
The right frame could be static and nontransparent. The inventory and quickbar could be larger if you scale up the gui.
the achievment button is ok but the tech could be in the same row as the other buttons, thats save 1 line as example
Zeblote wrote:
Saint wrote:i take a screenshot why i will mod my gui.
I think you're misunderstanding what this is about. You still can't modify any of the default guis, it's just about making all the custom guis have a consistent style.
no i have understand this part ^^ but you can create a new windows with all items, but mod is no option, because i play only vanilla server.
y.petremann wrote:If you want, there is this mod that automaticaly hide minimap when looking at logistic chest
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/daniel34 ... p-autohide
good idea but i want play on all server, with mod is this not possible^^

Cabanur
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Cabanur »

driver wrote:Research could be a clickable button
I think it *should* be. For consistency and ease of use.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Cabanur wrote:
driver wrote:Research could be a clickable button
I think it *should* be. For consistency and ease of use.
In 0.15 it is :)

Saint
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Saint »

@Klonan
is it possible that we get any option to see the full list from the logistic network on a storage chest etc. ? without any mod ^^

Return to “News”