Friday Facts #172 - Blending and Rendering

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #172 - Blending and Rendering

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

While we are on the topic of addressing rail signals is there any chance of them becoming colourblind friendly? Or at least higher contrast? Currently the colours I see them are green, blue and almost black (yellow and green are identical). It's not too much of an issue for me as I have pretty straightforward rails and have perfected my intersections however just this weekend I failed to notice a deadlock on an unloading station I'd built because I'd tacked on a stone unloading station and hadn't signalled it properly. Was only when I had no iron that I checked and found the trains queued up.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

joseph222
Inserter
Inserter

Post by joseph222 »

Sometimes we will just need to be patient for them to make a good game.
so dont stress them :mrgreen:

MrGrim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrGrim »

ske wrote:Be careful, it's like with kerning. Once you see it, you cannot unsee it.
That's slightly and deliciously evil to all of the people googling "kerning" right now. :D

Honestly people could do with some training on color. Think how many people you know that can go from camera/scanner to monitor to printer and maintain accurate color reproduction the entire chain. Add to that training on identifying lossy audio and video compression artifacts, and people would simply stop tolerating things like Twitch's horrendous quality and demand their digital video and music subscriptions/purchases weren't such poor quality. I mean Netflix is convenient.. but holy banding, batman!

So go forth, and ruin all of the things so that we can demand better! :D

Exasperation
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Exasperation »

MrGrim wrote:
ske wrote:Be careful, it's like with kerning. Once you see it, you cannot unsee it.
That's slightly and deliciously evil to all of the people googling "kerning" right now. :D

Honestly people could do with some training on color. Think how many people you know that can go from camera/scanner to monitor to printer and maintain accurate color reproduction the entire chain. Add to that training on identifying lossy audio and video compression artifacts, and people would simply stop tolerating things like Twitch's horrendous quality and demand their digital video and music subscriptions/purchases weren't such poor quality. I mean Netflix is convenient.. but holy banding, batman!

So go forth, and ruin all of the things so that we can demand better! :D
I saw the following on twitter the other day, and it seems relevant:
side effects of excessive kerning include:
dizzmess
insomma
diamhea

Alastor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Alastor »

Loewchen wrote:
Dave64738 wrote:Are you planning on fixing the shadows at all?
The planet is on a star synchronous orbit and what we consider nights are actually eclipses from the inner planets. See fixed :)
Ohhhhh !!! Does that mean we'll get to play on the dark side of the planet in the next version ?!?
If it's permanently dark it must be barren and frozen !!! You would have to create your own light to grow plants and such. Also you would have variable "moonlight" due to all those other planets consistantly passing by around you and reflecting the sun !

Do we also get to play with the constant planets collisions that are bound to happen in such a crowded solar system ? :mrgreen:

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

Dave64738 wrote:Are you planning on fixing the shadows at all?
1. ... 2. ... 3. ...
i can live with these three effects since they are only small optical glitches,
or maybe caused by a moon or whatever, but a fourth effect is more serious to me:
4. shadows darken lamps themselves, and warning lights, train signals, etc

Dave64738
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dave64738 »

Well, I'll just drop this here...
Factorio interesting shadows.png
Factorio interesting shadows.png (459.83 KiB) Viewed 2667 times
If it's only my OCD that's bothered by that then it can probably be ignored.
I think there'd be a better way of improving it than via a massive resource drain (like calculating light levels periodically, then picking from one of maybe 8 or 16 predefined shadow sprites (think compass directions) accordingly). Attempting 3D ray traced realtime shadows would of course impact performance horribly.

Return to “News”