Snow areas in factorio

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

DaemonKing
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Snow areas in factorio

Post by DaemonKing »

Hi guys and ladies and Dear Dev Team.

This is my suggestion putt in some Snow covered areas. i getting enought about the 3 zones in the game. brown(tundra), Green(Jungle), Yellow(Sand).

And this is how effecting in the game play?

My ideas simple in near edge of the water has some ice building up, and that is needed to destroyed before you put in the waterpump. And all other things, Steam engines to refinery, trains, and other stuffs eating up much more energy for the working.

For example:

If the standard Assembly line (grey building) used to 1 power in the B, G, Y zones in snow using up 1.5.

and another example in my ideas: refinery used up 1 energy in the 3 zones now in snowy area using up 5. similar to chem plant 1 E in 3 zones in snow using 3.

Mutch more complex the building eating up more and more energy for keep preventing to get cold.

And my last suggestions for the game: if they stay idle to much time they start losing the heat and when they starting work again they needed to much more energy.
For example

Grey assembly building stayed idle for a while and the temperature moved bellow under 10'C they needed to heat up for 3 Energy for heating before the starting and after that they get normal working temperature they only needed for 1.5 Energy for working

This my suggestion.

If u have any question feel to free to ask it :D :D :D :D :D

yousai
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Snow areas in factorio

Post by yousai »

The interesting "sub"-idea here I think is that machines could have an optimal working temperature. Just like a car in real life needs time to warm up to be most efficient. This could affect not only efficiency but pollution as well (think particle filters in Diesels).

Nubm2
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nubm2 »

Some more ideas and suggestions:

Buildings, trains and vehicles should always consume a slow amount of energy to stay warm. I guess its more effective that way. You get into trouble when the power is out for some reason though.

Liquids would require heating via boilers, or they might clog the pipes. Depending on the weather conditions, even the player would need some warm underwear (or a heat blanket addon for the power armor).

Critters in snow bioms could also be slower and reproduce at a decreased rate.

You could walk on ice, but it might shatter if you use explosives (killing you in the process). Tanks could move over ice, but it will get damaged over time, so better dont park there.

Water patches freeze back to ice over time.

Snowstorms could reduce productivity or even damage buildings.

Concrete foundation to increase energy effiecency of buildings in snow regions.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

- Snow/arctic biome comes with 0.15.

- Optimal working temp: Might be part of a mod, cause devs already tried into that direction and left this feature out (too complex for general purpose)

- Buildings already consume standby-power. (exactly for that :) )
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

It would be great for water temperature to affect how much burners have to work to get steam, perhaps also how much power you get from the steam. If you live in a 50º swamp, you're probably not going to need to run the burners much to get steam, but it may have a lower vapor pressure. Conversely, in a 50º desert, any water you find will easily generate steam power, but the shortage will be in finding the water. Maybe pipes could get hot in the sun and heat the water as it goes through them.

To save on CPU effort, the temperature can be determined by chunk and item type (for conductivity), instead of being determined separately for each part.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

In reality power plants work more effective, the better they can cool the water. Deep temperatures help. :)

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

Instead of destroying ice to build a pump, an interesting addition could be a building that harvests ice, sends it down a conveyor or whatever to an Ice Melter building to melt it into water to fill pipes.

Catches being that the ice will slowly vanish off the conveyor (melt) if removed from the cold biome and water won't flow through the pipes in the cold biome unless heated first via boiler.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Added to viewtopic.php?f=80&t=13022 World Generation / Map Generator / Game Modes / Scenarios / Biomes

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”