Chainsaw as early item

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Chainsaw as early item

Post by Harkonnen604 »

Whenever I finish some very good game, I frequently want to start a new one to go through all early achievements even if the progress will be about the same. Though Factorio is great game, wish to start new game right away happened to me only after my 1st base. There are just two annoyances in early and mid game that my brain starts thinking about first, and that requires several days to cool down, so I start thinking about bright sides of a new game instead. One of such annoyances is tree harvesting, another is building long smelter lines with lots of inserters and stuff. This thread is about the first issue.

For some time I thought of it as of some mechanical robot that walks and harvests trees and I saw similar proposals elsewhere, but it would be costly to implement for devs and would look awkward that you may construct such uber-contraption with base science and materials, so something simpler should be proposed. An obvious solution is chainsaw. I believe there are similar proposals and mods out there, but I care about vanilla. It just should be there and it's easy to implement.

Chainsaw should cost like 50 iron and 50 copper, be equipped in the tool slot instead of axe and deteriorate very quickly like after 50 chopped trees, so there's still price to it when you're on burner mining drills. With chainsaw in hand you chop trees at 0.1-0.2 sec per tree, other right-click actions take time as if you have no tool equipped at all. You have to manually reequip axe when you're done with forest. I am not proposing fighting biters with chainsaw, it's just about trees annoyance, so early games feel like a bright new life in the forest instead of chop-chop-chop-chop-chop for 5 minutes of real time. and then again and again and again for every new area of the base. heck, I started loving deserts for that :)
Last edited by Harkonnen604 on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

searker
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Chainsaw as early item

Post by searker »

The idea sounds great, however, i´m not sure if the current implementation of tools allows specific harvest-times or "levels" per resource since all current tools can mine / destroy items (even modded afaik).

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

I tried to implement something like a chainsaw a long time ago, but in 0.12 the modding API didn't have that functionality,
But it may be possible in 0.13, with the new character_crafting_speed, you can use script to set the crafting speed dependant on the entity the character is mining

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

WHAT! 0.13 Will Add per player Crafting and Mining speed?
Where is this information? I can't wait to be able to add Production Modules to modular armor.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

LazyLoneLion
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by LazyLoneLion »

Some defoliant with placing principles like for concrete?
Like you mill some stone, copper and iron ores, mix them in an assembler into "defoliant" and spread it on the earth. Then maybe wait like few days. In these days trees (and grass) became yellow, then dead, and later they just rot into dust.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Ranakastrasz wrote:WHAT! 0.13 Will Add per player Crafting and Mining speed?
Where is this information? I can't wait to be able to add Production Modules to modular armor.
All available here:

http://lua-api.factorio.com/0.13.0-prev ... d_modifier

bunce
Inserter
Inserter

Chainsaw

Post by bunce »

Chainsaw

5 gears, one engine, 2 iron 1 steel

cuts trees instantly

available after engine is researched.

uses common fuels like wood, coal, solid fuel, equiped as a tool, also could be a weapon

thanks

bunce.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older same suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

bunce
Inserter
Inserter

Post by bunce »

Klonan wrote:I tried to implement something like a chainsaw a long time ago, but in 0.12 the modding API didn't have that functionality,
But it may be possible in 0.13, with the new character_crafting_speed, you can use script to set the crafting speed dependant on the entity the character is mining

so its .21 now and still no mention, hows the progress going? hope your getting close :D

thanks,

bunce

Articulating
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Articulating »

It's 0.14, not 0.21 :P

bunce
Inserter
Inserter

Post by bunce »

Articulating wrote:It's 0.14, not 0.21 :P

ahh, i thought like 0.x.21 haha

I'll be waiting here at .15

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

bunce wrote:I'll be waiting here at .15
Where are you?

;)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”