Factorio Staff

[MOD 0.14] AAI Vehicles: Miner

Post by Earendel »

vehicle-miner.png
vehicle-miner.png (40.12 KiB) Viewed 30075 times
miner.gif
miner.gif (1.08 MiB) Viewed 30075 times
Title: AAI Vehicles: Miner
Short Description: An excavation and mining vehicle that can quickly mine solid resources such as coal, stone, ores, and quickly harvests any trees in it's path (and can consume the wood to fuel itself). The Miner was designed for use with AAI Programmable Vehicles mod and can act autonomously if programmed correctly.
Name: aai-vehicles-miner
Factorio Version: 0.14
Mod State: Beta
Dependencies: Base
Author: Earendel
Downloads: Mod Portal
Licence: See below

Long Description
The Miner is a mobile mining vehicle with a large inventory. It can mine any of the solid ground resources like Iron Ore, Stone, Coal, etc. It it gets close to trees they are town down and the wood is collected. It will also burn the collected wood to keep itself running. The miner will continue to mine even without a driver.

The miner is designed for AAI Programmable Vehicles which can allow a miner to dynamically move to now ore fields.

The miner is slow, so a Hauler is a good companion vehicle to collect the Miner’s resources and drop them off somewhere else.

Licence
Last edited by Earendel on Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

DegenerateGrndState
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14] AAI Vehicles: Miner

Post by DegenerateGrndState »

Your mods are very interesting, I'll have to try them out.
Idea for a miner upgrade: War miner, armored and lightly armed with an smg or gun turret.
like the Soviet miner from Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2

Wildejackson
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wildejackson »

Not sure, but is it possible to have the "default" data signals in the miner include ores from other common mods, like bob's or angels?

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Wildejackson wrote:Not sure, but is it possible to have the "default" data signals in the miner include ores from other common mods, like bob's or angels?
Yes... I will try to find a way of automatically detecting raw resources programmatically, but ultimately this might come down to hard-coding a list of all ores from various mods.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Earendel wrote:
Wildejackson wrote:Not sure, but is it possible to have the "default" data signals in the miner include ores from other common mods, like bob's or angels?
Yes... I will try to find a way of automatically detecting raw resources programmatically, but ultimately this might come down to hard-coding a list of all ores from various mods.
You should be able to iterate through map_gen_settings.autoplace_controls to get a list of available ores on the current surface.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Nexela wrote:
Earendel wrote:
You should be able to iterate through map_gen_settings.autoplace_controls to get a list of available ores on the current surface.
I have data-raw-prototypes as a prerequisite so I can use remote.call("data-raw", "prototypes_list").resource to get a list of resource types (very useful). Then it's just a case of game.entity_prototypes[resource_name].mineable_properties.products to get the mining results.

The latest version of the AII Programmable Vehicles has this change, but you will need to re-deploy any existing haulers / miners in order for them to be deployed with the new data.

dtoxic
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by dtoxic »

is it possible to make it so that the game start's without miner in toolbelt? but rather you have to craft it first.

btw excellent mod thx! :)

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

dtoxic wrote:is it possible to make it so that the game start's without miner in toolbelt? but rather you have to craft it first.

btw excellent mod thx! :)
Thanks, that is possible and if there is a lot of support for this idea then I will consider it.

I'd also like to hear from people on if they think that the mining speed is adequate. There is a discussion on the mod portal that it is too slow (mining speed). Right now it has a mining speed of about 4 burner miners. I'm considering a mk2 version that is more powerful so any mining speed suggestions for that would be useful.

morcup
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by morcup »

What about adding vehicle equipment grids to the miners so that upgrades could be added in to the miners?
Check out my server.
Server thread at: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=35528

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

@Earendel, You have private message

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Nexela wrote:@Earendel, You have private message
Thanks, the mod has been updated based on your improvements.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Version 0.1.6 has just been released. It contains 4 new tiers of miners up to MK5, which is far more powerful than the original. Also as requested the fuel consumption has been reduced.

Each tier increases the mining speed by around 2.5 times and also improves movement speed, inventory capacity, and fuel efficiency.

Silent Darkness
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Silent Darkness »

There's something wrong with this thing.

1. The entity seems to constantly refresh itself every few seconds if it's standing still. If you don't have a tool, this can make it very difficult to pick up the vehicle and put it in your inventory. It's not impossible if you remove all the fuel, but it's VERY hard.

2. It leaves an entity that I can't get rid of when I pick it up. "Unknown Key: "Entity-Name.vehicle-miner-attatchment"

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Silent Darkness wrote:There's something wrong with this thing.

1. The entity seems to constantly refresh itself every few seconds if it's standing still. If you don't have a tool, this can make it very difficult to pick up the vehicle and put it in your inventory. It's not impossible if you remove all the fuel, but it's VERY hard.

2. It leaves an entity that I can't get rid of when I pick it up. "Unknown Key: "Entity-Name.vehicle-miner-attatchment"
Thanks for reporting those issues. I have fixed point 2 becuase it was a quick fix and is a more serious issue imo.

Point 1 will take more time becuase there is not a simple solution. There are situations where repeatedly setting commands on a vehicle cause components to be replaced so it resets the mining timer. I might just have to make it faster to mine vehicles...?

Silent Darkness
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Thanks for the quick fix.

Yeah, I guess that making it quicker to mine would be nice, as a simple workaround to the problem.

But the major problem is out of the way now. Thanks a bunch.

Crommus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Crommus »

Hey!

That's some real nice thought through mod you got there. I like how the whole idea of independant vehicles fits real good into the game. While still having a hard time to get through the coding for combinators etc. I encountered the problem of the miners producing one hell of pollution.

You don't by any chance plan on adding vehicle slots for modules or special engines crafted through for example (electric) engines and modules to improve vehicle performance? A few pollution modules would do a great deal with that moving contamination and combines nicely with those already existing vanilla modules. :D

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

I don't think it's possible to put modules in vehicles in the standard sense. I guess I could do something where modules in the inventory are copied to the mining attachments... I'll have to think about that.

Crommus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Crommus »

Sadly I'm kind of lacking any knowledge regarding scripts, codes or mods in form or content but I was thinking of something similiar to modular armors just for vehicles.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Crommus wrote:Sadly I'm kind of lacking any knowledge regarding scripts, codes or mods in form or content but I was thinking of something similiar to modular armors just for vehicles.
Oh right equipment grid slots. Yeah that could be a good approach.

Silent Darkness
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

I find it odd that the vehicles don't produce ANY pollution. With the exception of the miner, when it's mining. I would think that it'd produce at least a teeny, tiny amount of pollution, due to exhaust fumes.

Return to “Mods”