Friday Facts #173 - Nuclear stuff is almost done

Regular reports on Factorio development.

Eitelkeit
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #173 - Nuclear stuff is almost done

Post by Eitelkeit »

Well, i really liked the nuclear mechanics described in previous FFF. Now it looks quite simplistic and doesn't sound like that much of a fun. Heat pipes by themselves, without even meltdown or any kind of risk aren't satisfying at all :(

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Eitelkeit wrote:Well, i really liked the nuclear mechanics described in previous FFF. Now it looks quite simplistic and doesn't sound like that much of a fun. Heat pipes by themselves, without even meltdown or any kind of risk aren't satisfying at all :(
Meltdowns makes anything NOT FUN at all. Huge complex jumps are not good. If they want to add more complex stuff, they could be in a way that it's incremental.

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

Eitelkeit wrote:Well, i really liked the nuclear mechanics described in previous FFF. Now it looks quite simplistic and doesn't sound like that much of a fun. Heat pipes by themselves, without even meltdown or any kind of risk aren't satisfying at all :(
Even without those things (which can be added later as mentioned, or possibly even modded in with the right event hooks) this will provide a welcome alternative to solar sprawl. :)
SHiRKiT wrote:Meltdowns makes anything NOT FUN at all. Huge complex jumps are not good. If they want to add more complex stuff, they could be in a way that it's incremental.
A deterministic way to trigger destructive events in factory components could be useful--an extremely over-engineered garbage disposal comes to mind. As for jumps in complexity, the various components like cooling towers and reheating could be gated behind a different tier of research--or even unlocked before nuclear to improve coal efficiency!
Last edited by IronCartographer on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RawX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RawX »

SHiRKiT wrote:
Meltdowns makes anything NOT FUN at all. Huge complex jumps are not good. If they want to add more complex stuff, they could be in a way that it's incremental.

As for a slower progressing comlexity: You could make cooling towers etc. only necessary for multireactor setups.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

I like the addition of heat pipes, they open up a lot of possible uses. I hope that they can also be added to assembler types like fluid boxes.

What I dont like is the productivity research for the miners, aside from the point that I personally dont like the concept of productivity modules, it really doesnt add anything to the game, except pressing the research button and the problem with moving your mines is still the same, maybe delayed a bit but that will quickly be consumed when you ramp up your production.

Hope we will get the update soon, so I can start modding and play around with the new features :D

chris13524
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by chris13524 »

I'm disappointed that you've decided to drop the cooling towers and stuff, I think it would've made the process much more interesting. Even if it has a huge jump in complexity, you should still be able to use steam engines to process the generated steam, but they wouldn't be nearly as efficient as the turbines and cooling towers. Also, I really liked the idea of meltdowns, it again, would make it much more interesting. By the time you grasp the ability to process uranium and stuff, you should be fairly experienced in combinator logic to be able to maintain production levels (and there would probably be blueprints from the library for newer players to do it anyways).

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

Will the water/steam separation still be a thing? It was THE awesome part of whole power overhaul...

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

psorek wrote:Will the water/steam separation still be a thing? It was THE awesome part of whole power overhaul...
Yep, the boiler changes will stick: boilers still output to the seperate fluidbox

malecord
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malecord »

What impact has this thing on pollution? Apart from mining, refining and enriching I mean. Is the reactor clean or will it produce pollution to compensate for the fact that there is are no by-products or meltdown events to handle?
Last edited by malecord on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Necros
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Necros »

While we wait for 0.15 , can we have the current version of HD textures?

fregate84
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by fregate84 »

mophydeen wrote:Meltdown could mean:
1 reactor is running
2 someone disconnects power line to factory (=0 load)
3 BOOM?

No fun
we can have a alarm, and 120 sec to recover. it's funny because we must build some logistic to let reactor on good condition.

Game are also save each 5 min ...

it will be very nice to be able to choose 2 setup : one with no danger but "medium" power, and one with risks and "high power".

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jonathan88 »

This is looking pretty amazing so far :D

A few things:
I love the way the heat pipes and the normal pipes don't connect - can we have another normal pipe which doesn't connect to other pipes too?
Please keep the "Kovarex enrichment process" research - it would just be the best little Easter Egg :lol:
The way the reactors become more complex is awesome - making your own ridiculously complex set ups will be so cool!
And most importantly:
The reactor meltdown in my opinion is the most important part of it all - perhaps it can leave a massive source of pollution which cannot be removed for a while, attracting all the mutated biters with strange limbs sticking out of their heads ;)
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

Fortanono
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Fortanono »

A quick thought: The centrifuge needs more uses. The best idea I had was to make a new endgame tier of materials using the centrifuge, basically processing ores like iron and copper to get niche metals you need for rocket parts. Would add more diversity to the endgame and make it less like "wait for plastic to fill up". More production chains to set up, y'know?

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Arch666Angel wrote:I like the addition of heat pipes, they open up a lot of possible uses. I hope that they can also be added to assembler types like fluid boxes.

What I dont like is the productivity research for the miners, aside from the point that I personally dont like the concept of productivity modules, it really doesnt add anything to the game, except pressing the research button and the problem with moving your mines is still the same, maybe delayed a bit but that will quickly be consumed when you ramp up your production.

Hope we will get the update soon, so I can start modding and play around with the new features :D
I also agree that it's not much productive. Maybe if it's not a linear cost increase.

Undermind
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Undermind »

RIP in peace nuclear power.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Math for the mining productivity research:

100% productivity = 0 science packs
200% productivity = 127,500 science packs
300% productivity = 505,000 science packs
400% productivity = 1,132,500 science packs
500% productivity = 2,010,000 science packs
600% productivity = 3,137,500 science packs
700% productivity = 4,515,000 science packs
800% productivity = 6,142,500 science packs
900% productivity = 8,020,000 science packs
1000% productivity = 10,147,500 science packs

The raw rate of return is decreasing, but at a very slow rate. If your factory expands faster than that, you could consider the rate of return to increase.
Last edited by DaveMcW on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Najjjjj
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Najjjjj »

I don't think adding everything once is a good idea as in: add the nuclear power but keep the overheat, the meltdown for the next update (0.15.1...)

Selvek
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Selvek »

What's the object being removed from the reactor? It looks like an empty fuel container, but the nuclear fuel assembler looks like it only takes iron plates, so no refills. Or is it something more sinister like spent fuel rods?

Return to “News”