[0.10.5][cube] Map generation issues

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
ConteGoblin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.10.5][cube] Map generation issues

Post by ConteGoblin »

I went to start a new game and started fiddling with the options.

1. I chose "none" for starting area and "very big" for water, generated and... no water whatsoever. Did it again... still no water. Did it a third time... tiny island in the ocean, with no land in sight. I tried some ten times in total, always one of the two options, either no water to be found or way too much to be useful.

2. I chose "only in starting area" for water, generated the map and discovered the starting area is enclosed by a thick belt of huge stones.

I suppose the first must be a bug of some sort, but is the second on purpose?

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: Map generation issues

Post by cube »

There are problems with the map generator settings :-)
The first thing is caused by a fact that the "size" options don't directly control size of water / coal / whatever, but set something more like a scale. This means that setting it to "large" will give you huge areas of water and also huge areas with no water at all.

The second thing should be just random fluke. Stones tend to be in high altitudes with higher probability and disabling water makes the whole world be much higher... Anyway when I'm testing this there are not too many stones. Does that happen repeatedly?
I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Okami
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Okami »

I had this strange circle of stones too, with the same settings. looked creepy ^^

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by muzzy »

Oh, the circle of stones isn't a feature? I've had it lots of times with low water settings, a perfect circle made of a dense bunch of stone doodads surrounding the starting area

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Wow, could you please send me a save or at least a screenshot of the circle? I will try to have a look at it for 0.10.0.
I have no idea what I'm talking about.

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by muzzy »

Water: only in starting area. All other settings default. Happened on the first try (Mac 0.9.8) ... can't bother repeating to see how often it happens :)

Save: http://hack.fi/~muzzy/tools/factorio/sa ... nering.zip

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

The stone rings are fixed for 0.10.6.
There was a stone placement rule that ignored the possibility to decrease water levels, and another bug that prevented the rule from being fixed :-)

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”