[MOD 0.14] AAI Programmable Vehicles

Topics and discussion about specific mods
golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14] AAI Programmable Vehicles

Post by golfmiketango »

I haven't' tried your suite of mods yet, Earendel, but I wanted to say that what you're doing looks terribly, terribly interesting and I will definitely be giving them a try soon.

Bylo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bylo »

1. I've placed Your (mining) blueprints in my factory. // na stronie gdzie Earendel opisuje swoje instalacje, podał sumy kontrolne do stworzenia schematów w grze, co by szybko układ chałupek z ich ustawieniami w grze postawić

2. I've built miner and Hauler, and place it on terrain. // stworzyłem i postawiłem koparkę i transportera

3. I seting Distanse Signal to 500. // w ustawieniach jednej chałupki, zwiększyłem zasięg skanowania w poszukiwaniu surowców

4. I've set correct ID number of Miner and Hauler, in "Hauler loop from Depot to Miner and back" instalation. // prawidłowo ustawiłem ID koparki i transportera, w instalacji zwanej "Hauler loop from Depot to Miner and back"

5. Miner is idiot, he does not know the road and drives erratically. // koparka nie wie co ze sobą zrobić

6. Where is me bug?

Crazy_Adept1797
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Crazy_Adept1797 »

I've Repeatedly attempted to get a Miner to a coal deposit using the system setup I found on the forum and it doesn't do anything! :x The Miner just sits there! I triple checked everything was as depicted, right down to wire colors and arrangements and nothing happens.

EDIT: With the assistance of the blueprint strings mod, I've built new setups (and modified them to Identify Angel's ores) and they work. Somehow. :?:

Berkys32
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Berkys32 »

Crazy_Adept1797 wrote:I've Repeatedly attempted to get a Miner to a coal deposit using the system setup I found on the forum and it doesn't do anything! :x The Miner just sits there! I triple checked everything was as depicted, right down to wire colors and arrangements and nothing happens.

EDIT: With the assistance of the blueprint strings mod, I've built new setups (and modified them to Identify Angel's ores) and they work. Somehow. :?:
If you do it just as it is on pictures, it wont work. There are missing outputs in come combinators. I wrote it few pages ago, without response. Using BP strings as you did works, though...

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Which combinators are confusing? Is it the Xtile * 1 ones?

Berkys32
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Berkys32 »

Berkys32 wrote:Hi!
I like your mods. It gets me in combinators, which are fun. But it took me an hour to realize you just dont have output signal in your guide picures. It is clear now that it has to be something there, but it wasnt before I made some learning...
(I mean especially your arithmetic combinators "not" outputting X/Y position signal
Maybe i was not clear - in your guides you have only Xtile*1 or Ytile*1, but there should be Xtile*1 I Xtile or Ytile*1 I Ytile.
Its obvious for someone who knows how combinators work, but not if you just started with them...

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Ah ok, I will update the instructions.
Edit: The flowchart style images have been updated.

Berkys32
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Berkys32 »

How did you do those images? It looks nice, and Im want to post my setup for convoy AI...

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Berkys32 wrote:How did you do those images? It looks nice, and Im want to post my setup for convoy AI...
Photoshop. There are a lot of layers. In hindsight maybe something like https://realtimeboard.com/app/ would have been easier to update.

Berkys32
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Berkys32 »

So i finally finished my first bigger setup of AAI, which I called:

Snail trail follow setup

Its usefull when you want one vehicle to follow another, but you dont want to use Go-To-Leading-Vehicle-TIle (bcs pathfinding is so bad that it can lead vehicle through middle of your base).
This one follows trail of leading vehicle rather than vehicle itself, so its safer to use - it can be used in base, forest, between spawners or so. It doesnt matter if leading vehicle is much faster, doing loops or anything else as long as it leaves Zone tiles on tiles where can following vehicle go to.

It has simple know-how - leading vehicle is making zone tiles when moving, following vehicle is being sent to zone tile #5 (it can be changed, but lower number means slower movement, higher less accurate following of trail). When it gets near destination, first 5 tile of Zone is deleted - so destination is changed and vehicle has to move again. And this is repeated unless it gets near leading vehicle.

This is how it looks:
This is basic setup(more combinators has to be set up, but its easier to understand)
Basic setup
With explanations
Notes:
All combinators which has to be set has light next to them
Tank 1 is leading vehicle, Tank 2 is following. Zone type is, well, zone type that leading vehicle is making
String code
This setup is eaiser to use (less combinator has to be set):
Usefull setup
String code V1.1
You can set following vehicle as leading of another one, so you will get convoy of as many vehicles as you want. Im using it for support when clearing spawners, so I dont have to lure biters to towers, or use turret creeping (which will be nerfed soon ;) )

EDIT: I found little issue - if leading vehicle was moving to fast, following one didnt move. Second BP string is updated, it works much better :)
Last edited by Berkys32 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xlomkn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by xlomkn »

All fixed now.

If you're interested, the issues were nothing to do with the aircraft mod. The crash was caused by the vehicle being replaced with a composite version while it had a negative speed. You can now bail out of vehicles going backwards at high speeds without worry of a (game) crash.

The inventory filters were being reset because the vehicle was being swapped with a similar-looking one but with slightly different stats, but the filters weren't copied to the new entity. They are now.

The inventory transfer issue was not exactly a bug, you needed to have a unitdata setting on the hauler of the same item type in order for it to allow the item to be transferred. I realise that it's not very intuitive, so I have changed it so that haulers can always deliver inventory to nearby vehicles that request it even if they don't have a matching unitdata setting. I can't think of any unintended consequences of that change but we'll see. Anyway the inventory transfer system in your save file is working now.

Finally, when playing around with the aircraft I noticed they were using pathing when AI driven which is completely unnecessary. In 0.1.13 pathfinding is switched off for aircraft so that fly very smoothly over buildings and water when AI controlled.
Thanks, it works like a charm !
And, yes, explanations are interesting ;)

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Berkys32 wrote:So i finally finished my first bigger setup of AAI, which I called:

Snail trail follow setup

<snip>
That's awesome :D

Thanks so much for sharing that, I love seeing the contraptions people have made.

Have you tried making a vehicle move using the SubX_tile and SubY_tile signals? If you get the target tile position and subtract the vehicle position to get the movement offset, you can feed that into the unit controller to make it move with that offset. Also when using a movement offset the target speed is based on the size of the offset (it is converted to angle and speed) so it slows down when it gets close. You can multiply the offset to increase the speed, or set a speed signal to override.

Berkys32
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Berkys32 »

Earendel wrote: Have you tried making a vehicle move using the SubX_tile and SubY_tile signals? If you get the target tile position and subtract the vehicle position to get the movement offset, you can feed that into the unit controller to make it move with that offset. Also when using a movement offset the target speed is based on the size of the offset (it is converted to angle and speed) so it slows down when it gets close. You can multiply the offset to increase the speed, or set a speed signal to override.
Thats my next plan - Duck crowd. No pathfinding AI, only direct move orders, so they will move much faster and smoother. And I want to try to use it to make formations. Cant wait to see my tank squad in wedge formation rushing through spawners...

Berkys32
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Berkys32 »

Suggestion - could you make building less hungry? I have only 6 tanks in snail formation and it makes more than 30% of my energy consumption...
Consumption

sloughz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by sloughz »

I am trying to get into circuit networks and i was wondering if someone knew of a good tutorial because i am not having an easy time with it.

Berkys32
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Berkys32 »

Well, I personally dont like video tutorials, so I just read some wiki pages for some setups (OR, AND, XOR etc.). Using of circuits is pure logic, I dont know how to teach it... But for training circuits istelf I found great mobile app - Circuit scramble.
If you want, we can do multiplayer session. Im not really good at it, I started with it month ago, but still I think I can show you thing or two...

Officer Joe Balogna
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Officer Joe Balogna »

Hello! I tried your mod out, and I finally got it to work (just pasting your blueprints in and making the few adjustments), but I have a problem. I know it says in your description that the pathfinding AI is a little derpy.. But I had no idea it was so destructive! The miners seem to be built like tanks, and even when I put them out in the open away from buildings, they find a way to run at least 1 important thing over.

Any tips on how to minimize the damage? Can I edit a config so the miners only do 0 impact damage when they bump something?

xlomkn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by xlomkn »

I am trying to get into circuit networks and i was wondering if someone knew of a good tutorial because i am not having an easy time with it.
I've learned basics here: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-88 and usefull stuff here: viewtopic.php?t=14556

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Officer Joe Balogna wrote:Hello! I tried your mod out, and I finally got it to work (just pasting your blueprints in and making the few adjustments), but I have a problem. I know it says in your description that the pathfinding AI is a little derpy.. But I had no idea it was so destructive! The miners seem to be built like tanks, and even when I put them out in the open away from buildings, they find a way to run at least 1 important thing over.

Any tips on how to minimize the damage? Can I edit a config so the miners only do 0 impact damage when they bump something?
I wish there was a way to do that but no, you can't disable impact damage. When a miner is in AI pathfinding mode though, most of the time the collision is disabled and the collision is moved to an invisible 'navigator' which is a unit (biter) type entity which does not do impact damage. Unfortunately when a biter gets within a few tiles of its intended target it starts wandering aimlessly, so I have to remove it and go back to direction-based movement using the vehicle. It also does that for a bit if the biter gets stuck. The transition times are when things get their most destructive. I recommend walling off fragile areas, not just because it's better protected but because the miner shouldn't even try to go there. You can also make buffer areas with zones that override the movement direction of anything in the area.

SlothNinja99
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SlothNinja99 »

Is there a YouTube Video for this, I find videos a lot easier to understand.

Return to “Mods”