Circuit network on roboport, help needed

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Bart
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Circuit network on roboport, help needed

Post by Bart »

First of all: I'm a complete noob with the circuit network, this is my first experience with it.

I'm trying to unload drones from my service train into a roboport on an outpost, but only when needed. So I did the following:

I connected the roboport with a red wire to a filter inserter. The total construction bots should be 3, right? And it's broadcasted with the letter T.

On the filter inserter I did the following:

So it should operate when there are less than 20 of T, i.e. when there are less than 20 construction robots in the network. There are 3, 3 is less than 20, but the inserter doesn't move. There is no influence from any other roboport, logistics network or circuit network, I built this some distance from my base to rule anything out. What am I doing wrong?
I have the cape.
I make the fucking whoosh noises.

Bart
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Circuit network on roboport, help needed

Post by Bart »

Wow, I got the problem solved. Somehow, my setup seemed to work with the logistic drones. No idea why. So I copy-pasted the inserter settings to the construction-drone-inserter, and now that one works too. The construction-drone-inserter was copy-pasted by the way, while the logistic-drone-insterter was built by hand. Maybe a bug?
I have the cape.

The Eriksonn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Eriksonn »

The roboport takes into account all bots in the entire logistic system, not only the ones is that roboport. You could drag wire to Electric pole and hover over that to see how much of each it is

Bart
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bart »

The Eriksonn wrote:The roboport takes into account all bots in the entire logistic system, not only the ones is that roboport. You could drag wire to Electric pole and hover over that to see how much of each it is
Didn't know that trick, thanks!
I have the cape.

thenonsequitur
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by thenonsequitur »

I know this is an old thread, but I actually just ran into this problem too. In my case both my logistics network condition and construction network condition were failing. But taking a hint from the solution here, I decided to delete and re-place both inserters, rewiring them from scratch ,and voila! now they're working. so there is definitely some bug that get the circuit condition into a permanently broken state that can only be fixed by copy/pasting settings or deleting/recreating the inserter.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

thenonsequitur wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:32 am
I know this is an old thread, but I actually just ran into this problem too. In my case both my logistics network condition and construction network condition were failing. But taking a hint from the solution here, I decided to delete and re-place both inserters, rewiring them from scratch ,and voila! now they're working. so there is definitely some bug that get the circuit condition into a permanently broken state that can only be fixed by copy/pasting settings or deleting/recreating the inserter.
on the server im currently playing, there seems to be some issue with copying over wires and signals sometimes.
I cant tell for sure whats happening, since it smostly others placing my prepared train station BPs, but some times i need to check and see missing wires and , rarely, wrong signals and/or combinators.
So im not sure about copy&paste and blueprints maybe needing a bug reports, since i can´t reliably reproduce whats happening

as a rule of thumb:
- Its mostly "your" fault. Beside some bugs, which with the circuit network should not happen any more at this point of development.
Look closer, maybe tear the whole thing down and start from scratch.
- ALWAYS use a power pole to see whats actually sent, at least at the last step. You might miss something very important.
If the power pole is not between 2 connected entities, but the connection is a side branch, you can easily deconstruct it when its running.

audigex
Inserter
Inserter

Post by audigex »

A bit of a side note here: but it's usually worth using the "available robots" rather than "total robots" for each type. That way you add robots whenever they're needed by the network, and scale with your base.

Eg I have mine setup to insert robots whenever available robots (of that type) is less than 200. Mid game, that usually means about 1000-1500 robots for a long time, but then later it will scale up to 10,000+ robots as I ask them to do more.

If you use the total count, you have to go back and adjust the value every time you need to scale up. As such, I only use the "total" count for things like engineer or resupply trains (eg the train that resupplies my artillery outposts) because in those scenarios I want to replenish the robots below a certain number.

So yeah: use total for resupplying isolated outposts with their own networks, and available for adding robots to your main base's roboport network

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

That works better for logistics bots than construction bots though. With construction bots you can run into the situations where they are overtaxed by a large building project, but you could really live with it taking a while. And the next project on that scale might be some time away

Return to “Gameplay Help”