[MOD 0.14] AAI Programmable Vehicles

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Berkys32
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14] AAI Programmable Vehicles

Post by Berkys32 »

Hi!
I like your mods. It gets me in combinators, which are fun. But it took me an hour to realize you just dont have output signal in your guide picures. It is clear now that it has to be something there, but it wasnt before I made some learning...
(I mean especially your arithmetic combinators "not" outputting X/Y position signal

And I have a bug - just tried to get 2 miners to position of 2 different zones: Few seconds after miner start moving this error. But it happens only when I place that miner close to zone where it should move to...

And question - how can i prevent vehicles from changing ID? Or how can I specify one?
I mean when I have 4 miners, each on different zone, specified by ID (Miner placed 1st, Miner placed 2nd and so) and 1st miner is destroyed (ie biters, you know), other miners IDs change, so they start to move to position of previous miner...

AcidAgent
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AcidAgent »

Hi.

I found a quite annoying bug with your mod(s).
When I load a game, the bottom row of my items hotbar is emptied everytime and sent in the inventory (or on the ground if there isn't enought space in the inventory).

When I removed your mod to check, this bug disappeared.

For the context, I run no other mod that modify the inventory space.
If you want i'll give you a detailed list of the mods I use, to see if it might come from an incompatibility, but I doubt it.

Otherwise, very very good mod!
I'm sure I'll have fun with it :D

Berkys32
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Berkys32 »

Not just second line of toolbar, but even second line of Logistic toolbar (where you set up what items bot should supply to you)

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Berkys32 wrote:Hi!
I like your mods. It gets me in combinators, which are fun. But it took me an hour to realize you just dont have output signal in your guide picures. It is clear now that it has to be something there, but it wasnt before I made some learning...
(I mean especially your arithmetic combinators "not" outputting X/Y position signal

And I have a bug - just tried to get 2 miners to position of 2 different zones: Few seconds after miner start moving this error. But it happens only when I place that miner close to zone where it should move to...

And question - how can i prevent vehicles from changing ID? Or how can I specify one?
I mean when I have 4 miners, each on different zone, specified by ID (Miner placed 1st, Miner placed 2nd and so) and 1st miner is destroyed (ie biters, you know), other miners IDs change, so they start to move to position of previous miner...
I'll look into that bug. As for miner ID's the best way right now is to use Unit Data to 'tag' a miner with something identifying, such as the zone you want them to say in. A bit later I will be adding a generic unchanging unit id that is shared across all vehicle types so you will be able to use that when it is implemented.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

AcidAgent wrote:Hi.

I found a quite annoying bug with your mod(s).
When I load a game, the bottom row of my items hotbar is emptied everytime and sent in the inventory (or on the ground if there isn't enought space in the inventory).

When I removed your mod to check, this bug disappeared.

For the context, I run no other mod that modify the inventory space.
If you want i'll give you a detailed list of the mods I use, to see if it might come from an incompatibility, but I doubt it.

Otherwise, very very good mod!
I'm sure I'll have fun with it :D
Berkys32 wrote:Not just second line of toolbar, but even second line of Logistic toolbar (where you set up what items bot should supply to you)
I'm quite surprised by this. The only toolbar modification is a generic 'insert item to player' command for the starting miner and the starting remote controller. If the toolbar and inventory it should just fail at adding the item and not affect anything else. I'll look into this further but when I do a complete mod list would be useful.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

y.petremann wrote:Could you add compatibility of your system to trains, basicaly the possibility to call a specific unit (train) depending on order of placement to order it to go to a specific station (which could also be numbered in order of placement), to check it's content, check if player is inside a wagon (so no manual control), check to which station it is ...
Yes, that should be possible. In fact, since all the structures are actually implemented in the structures mod, I could actually have this as a separate Programmable Trains mod that does not depend on the vehicles mod.

xlomkn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by xlomkn »

Really nice mod, thanks!
I also have the "empty toolbar" issue. I have many mods installed. Let me know if you need something to help.
I had some crash / freeze while loading saved games: let me know what you need (logs?) and I'll get it next time it happens (it does not happens frequently).
Here's some suggestions of features I would really enjoy:
  • Add an Unit Remote Controller and a Zone Planner in the toolbar when using Satellite Uplink Station mod
  • Make the Cargo plane be a Hauler type vehicle in Aicraft mod
  • Maybe setting some special signal would be a way to make a vehicle behave as a Hauler
  • Add equipement grids to vehicles (Hauler with roboport would be such a beast!)
  • Add some visual clue to distinguish Vehicle ID signals from the vehicle crafting icon. Because both have the same icon, it's error prone (yes, I did that)
  • Increase the distance of the Automatic Inventory Transfer System of something like 2 tiles, so that setting a position offset to avoid collision still allows it to works, without beeing too tricky to adjust
Again, thanks for such a great mod. Amazing artwork.

Wildejackson
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wildejackson »

About the programmable trains mod idea, we need a way to auto-deploy and auto-destroy trains. It would be useful to have a buffer of trains in item form, rathen then needing the space for a railyard, prehaps a large train garage or something. I'm not too sure if its possible to automatically deploy trains at this time though.

Berkys32
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Berkys32 »

About inventory bug - Im now trying to get which another mod could be doing it. Ill post it in few minutes.

Do you know Natural Evolution mod? Its about enemies and their behaviour. And it makes them much stronger, which makes most of your whicles useless (at 60% evo just a group of laser tanks could stand for a while against wave of biters).
Could you add support for this mod? Like increased HP and resistances? Or some easy way to change it - something like config mod for vehicles?

EDIT: I disabled all other mods and still my second tab of toolbar and last tab of logistic bar is being cleared every load. I have all your mods and all 4 needed mods - detached gun sounds, Off grid effects, Data raw prototypes, Bullet trails...

EDIT 2: It is sure now that it is you PV (Programmable Vehicles) mod. Without it it is ok. But it isnt that this mod is just clearing those bars:
1) If you save game without this mod, enable it and than load it with it, first item in second toolbar is replaced with remote control. Other items are deleted and items in last bar in logistic are deleted too.
2) If you save game with PV and load with it - bug.
3) If you save game with PV and load without it - bug.
4) With all mods except PV it is ok

EDIt 3: It was all done in save game, which was previously played with few Bobs mods (warfare, vehicle equipmnets, librabry, config), autofill, Evo GUI, Handy Hands, Natural Evolution (but this bug appeard in game w/o these mods), Picker and upgrade planner...

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Version 0.1.8 has been released.

The toolbar and logistics settings issue has been fixed. The problem was a recipe reset script that I was using, it ended up resetting some techs in a way that your extra toolbelt become un-researched then re-researched, but the game didn't remember the settings. The resets are now limited to the techs that the mods actually use and circuit-network, tanks, turrets, etc don't modify the character so it should be safe now. you need to get the latest version on Vehicles, Structures, and Zones for the update to work. If you have the Laser Tank, Chaingunner, or Flame Tumbler these mods also need to be updated as they all can cause the issue independently.

The Unit Remote Controller now lists selected units Unit Type Ids and a static Unit ID.

The new Unit ID signal never changes. It's not useful for loops because there are gaps in the array, but if you need a specific unit it is ideal.

Miner/Hauler default settings are now based on loaded mods, so it works with bobs, angels, etc.

Also the math.min() script issue should be fixed now.

Berkys32
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Berkys32 »

Earendel wrote:Version 0.1.8 has been released.

The toolbar and logistics settings issue has been fixed. The problem was a recipe reset script that I was using, it ended up resetting some techs in a way that your extra toolbelt become un-researched then re-researched, but the game didn't remember the settings. The resets are now limited to the techs that the mods actually use and circuit-network, tanks, turrets, etc don't modify the character so it should be safe now. you need to get the latest version on Vehicles, Structures, and Zones for the update to work. If you have the Laser Tank, Chaingunner, or Flame Tumbler these mods also need to be updated as they all can cause the issue independently.

Also the math.min() script issue should be fixed now.
Thats really fast fix! Thanks!!!
Earendel wrote:The new Unit ID signal never changes. It's not useful for loops because there are gaps in the array, but if you need a specific unit it is ideal.
So this means that vehicle spawned 3rd will allwyas be 3rd? Thats great :)
But what happens when it get destroyed? Next spawned vehicle will be 3rd and takes its tasks? Or there wont be any 3rd vehicle for ever? And is there any way how to get that any of my vehicles was destroyes? Something like "total amount of miners" fuction or so, so I can see I have one less than before?

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Berkys32 wrote:About inventory bug - Im now trying to get which another mod could be doing it. Ill post it in few minutes.

Do you know Natural Evolution mod? Its about enemies and their behaviour. And it makes them much stronger, which makes most of your whicles useless (at 60% evo just a group of laser tanks could stand for a while against wave of biters).
Could you add support for this mod? Like increased HP and resistances? Or some easy way to change it - something like config mod for vehicles?

EDIT: I disabled all other mods and still my second tab of toolbar and last tab of logistic bar is being cleared every load. I have all your mods and all 4 needed mods - detached gun sounds, Off grid effects, Data raw prototypes, Bullet trails...

EDIT 2: It is sure now that it is you PV (Programmable Vehicles) mod. Without it it is ok. But it isnt that this mod is just clearing those bars:
1) If you save game without this mod, enable it and than load it with it, first item in second toolbar is replaced with remote control. Other items are deleted and items in last bar in logistic are deleted too.
2) If you save game with PV and load with it - bug.
3) If you save game with PV and load without it - bug.
4) With all mods except PV it is ok

EDIt 3: It was all done in save game, which was previously played with few Bobs mods (warfare, vehicle equipmnets, librabry, config), autofill, Evo GUI, Handy Hands, Natural Evolution (but this bug appeard in game w/o these mods), Picker and upgrade planner...
This was helpful, thanks. I think it's working now in all cases now, but it would be great if you could repeat a few of your tests after updating to verify.

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Berkys32 wrote:
Earendel wrote:Version 0.1.8 has been released.
Earendel wrote:The new Unit ID signal never changes. It's not useful for loops because there are gaps in the array, but if you need a specific unit it is ideal.
So this means that vehicle spawned 3rd will allwyas be 3rd? Thats great :)
But what happens when it get destroyed? Next spawned vehicle will be 3rd and takes its tasks? Or there wont be any 3rd vehicle for ever? And is there any way how to get that any of my vehicles was destroyes? Something like "total amount of miners" fuction or so, so I can see I have one less than before?
So you still have the nth unit of type signal, i.e. Hauler ID 5. That is still the 5th alive Hauler. If you scan a hauler it will return a count of type signal saying something like 12, meaning there are 12 Haulers alive. It now also returns a global Unit ID that is shared for all types, so for Hauler ID 5 it might be Unit ID 23 and that won't change. Unit 23 might be a Hauler, but Unit 22 might be empty (died / removed), Unit 24 might be a Miner. As I said, not so good for loops because it's a mix of unit types and empty values.

Basically the Unit ID was already there behind the scenes but now it's exposed because it is useful to use the Unit ID when linking a Unit Scanner to a Unit Controller to make sure you are commanding the unit you have just scanned.

Berkys32
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Berkys32 »

That seems to be completely off. Good job!

I see it now, its visible when unit is selected via remote controller. Thats really needed feature. I was scared how can I recognize which ID has unit I just spawned, so I can programme correct unit, and that solved!

Another bug - could you look at basic tank? I left it near my towers as static cannon turret, but it shoots only itself (and all around if using explosive ammo)...

By the way - thats really good feature - i can left any car anywhere and it will defend itself, or act as turret until I make defense. Really helpfull :)

Another suggestions:
1) Chaingunner should get bonus from turret speed and damage research, laser tank from laser turret research etc....
2) Vehicle grids

I found Flame Thumbler too fast - its almost impossible to drive it at full speed, not even shoot...

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

I fixed the tank self harm bug, there's no way to cause a real vehicle to fire with LUA so I need to spawn the projectiles manually, but the projectiles don't know which vehicle is supposed to have shot the projectile so it just hits the fist thing it finds, i.e. the tank that it's already overlapping with. I've added an additional offset based on the vehicle collision box to compensate and the tank seems quite reliable now (just don't put it behind walls or other units).

I did also notice that the direction-based projectiles travel far further than they should. There is no way to specify a max range so I will need to make a modding support request for that.

The Flame Tumbler is a bit slower now and has better brakes, but I still wouldn't recommend driving it too close to your base.

Berkys32
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Berkys32 »

Earendel wrote:I fixed the tank self harm bug, there's no way to cause a real vehicle to fire with LUA so I need to spawn the projectiles manually, but the projectiles don't know which vehicle is supposed to have shot the projectile so it just hits the fist thing it finds, i.e. the tank that it's already overlapping with. I've added an additional offset based on the vehicle collision box to compensate and the tank seems quite reliable now (just don't put it behind walls or other units).
Oh, I didnt know that. I cant mod myslelf, just started with circuits bcs of your mod ;)
I tried it and instead of firing itself, its shooting first item in fire line :D Maybe it would be best to disable tank as AI-able. Or just gun-turret could by controlled by AI. There is no reason to have 1 tank somewhere with AI controlled cannon, because one tank cant stand for long, but can make much damage to player - in my honest opinion.
Earendel wrote:The Flame Tumbler is a bit slower now and has better brakes, but I still wouldn't recommend driving it too close to your base.
Whats lore behind this superfast car? Or you just wanted one? I mean its meant to ride over terrain, not Nurburgring. Driving it feels like driving formula, not warbuggy with flamer. If you know what I mean...

And (another) suggestion - basic buildings for those who dont want to get into circuits - building for basic commands, like:
Go to zone
Follow vehicle (maybe with option to setup distance)
Patrol between zones
etc. Probably with option to be activated by signal, who knows.
Its great that you can set up whatever you want and how you want, but for someone who isnt skilled in programming or doesnt know circuits its really hard to get into. I know what Im speaking about, after few days I was able only to setup miner to find nearest tree and mine it :D
I think this mod deserve to be played by casual gamers, its really great and has infinite potentiality...

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Version 0.1.10 has a fix for the multiplayer desync. It should be multiplayer compatible now, or at least I can't find any more desyncs so let me know if you find any,
Berkys32 wrote:I tried it and instead of firing itself, its shooting first item in fire line :D Maybe it would be best to disable tank as AI-able. Or just gun-turret could by controlled by AI. There is no reason to have 1 tank somewhere with AI controlled cannon, because one tank cant stand for long, but can make much damage to player - in my honest opinion.
What I could do is make some alternate tank ammo that is single target instead of direction-based with collision, so the only risk of collateral damage would the explosion radius of the explosive variant.
Berkys32 wrote:
Earendel wrote:The Flame Tumbler is a bit slower now and has better brakes, but I still wouldn't recommend driving it too close to your base.
Whats lore behind this superfast car? Or you just wanted one? I mean its meant to ride over terrain, not Nurburgring. Driving it feels like driving formula, not warbuggy with flamer. If you know what I mean...
I'm not sure what you mean. It's designed to be the fastest land vehicle with a talent for ramming it's way though obstacles. The flame thrower is often best used to leave a flame trail since most enemies quickly end up behind you.
Berkys32 wrote:And (another) suggestion - basic buildings for those who dont want to get into circuits - building for basic commands, like:
Go to zone
Follow vehicle (maybe with option to setup distance)
Patrol between zones
etc. Probably with option to be activated by signal, who knows.
Its great that you can set up whatever you want and how you want, but for someone who isnt skilled in programming or doesnt know circuits its really hard to get into. I know what Im speaking about, after few days I was able only to setup miner to find nearest tree and mine it :D
I think this mod deserve to be played by casual gamers, its really great and has infinite potentiality...
The thing is there's no 'right way' to do most of this stuff. I'd rather people just post blueprint strings for other people to copy. At least that way people can try and reverse engineer the basics.

There's also the potential for video tutorials... which I understand would be useful, but that is way out of my comfort zone.

Berkys32
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Berkys32 »

What I could do is make some alternate tank ammo that is single target instead of direction-based with collision, so the only risk of collateral damage would the explosion radius of the explosive variant.
It sounds as best option - at least for me. But could you make new one, so we can still use old tank as personal vehicle?
I'm not sure what you mean. It's designed to be the fastest land vehicle with a talent for ramming it's way though obstacles. The flame thrower is often best used to leave a flame trail since most enemies quickly end up behind you.
I meant its faster than train, even if its off-road. But nevermind, I know understand your way ;)
The thing is there's no 'right way' to do most of this stuff. I'd rather people just post blueprint strings for other people to copy. At least that way people can try and reverse engineer the basics.

There's also the potential for video tutorials... which I understand would be useful, but that is way out of my comfort zone.
How did you make those picture? Is there tool or something? Or just MS paint?

Berkys32
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Berkys32 »

Another bug - Unit scanner built via BP with constant combinator doesnt output anything. I have to replace constant combinator and link it again to get it work...

EDIT: Unit scanner cant scan # of zone? It signals type of zone right, but everytime with strenght 1. It would be nice if it could get number of placement (1-n)

EDIT2: Another ?bug? - controlled vehicles are burning fuel even if not moving. Laser tank consume stack of solid fuel just in few minutes. If I look at one in Unit scanner, 1MW of energy is out every 2/3 sec. That seems quite a lot for just standing...

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

Berkys32 wrote:Another bug - Unit scanner built via BP with constant combinator doesnt output anything. I have to replace constant combinator and link it again to get it work...

EDIT: Unit scanner cant scan # of zone? It signals type of zone right, but everytime with strenght 1. It would be nice if it could get number of placement (1-n)

EDIT2: Another ?bug? - controlled vehicles are burning fuel even if not moving. Laser tank consume stack of solid fuel just in few minutes. If I look at one in Unit scanner, 1MW of energy is out every 2/3 sec. That seems quite a lot for just standing...
Thanks for reporting those bugs, I'll try and fix them asap.

Return to “Mods”