Splitting two full belts to one full belt

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
XxBlackRosesxX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Splitting two full belts to one full belt

Post by XxBlackRosesxX »

I have a belt full of iron, and a belt full of coal. I need to somehow split these two belts evenly, while still maintaining the same placement of the resources (iron on top, coal on bottom.) I also need I've tried for about an hour and a half, but since I don't have a whole lot of knowledge about the game, I can't figure it out. Can somebody help me with this please? :?:
Attachments
splitter help.png
splitter help.png (1.81 MiB) Viewed 5201 times
Last edited by XxBlackRosesxX on Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Splitting two full belts to one full belt

Post by Frightning »

Hint: T-junction

E.g.:

>^<

Where the symbols point in the belt's direction.

XxBlackRosesxX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by XxBlackRosesxX »

Frightning wrote:Hint: T-junction

E.g.:

>^<

Where the symbols point in the belt's direction.
Oh my days, thank you SO much. It's so simple but it works absolutely perfectly. :D

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

i find this question kind of funny, because if you look at your picture, you have T juction there already, just little SW from lower red box :D

but i admit, happened to me lot of time, that i had solution right on my eyes, and yet i didn't see that :lol:

XxBlackRosesxX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by XxBlackRosesxX »

mexmer wrote:i find this question kind of funny, because if you look at your picture, you have T juction there already, just little SW from lower red box :D

but i admit, happened to me lot of time, that i had solution right on my eyes, and yet i didn't see that :lol:
I'm fairly new to this game, so some of the concepts are extremely confusing to me. I've been watching Youtube videos for help, and they all say "give yourself lots of room to expand." It's hard to do that when I hardly know the game mechanics.

(I tore down EVERYTHING and restarted. Trying to make everything run like the BUS method I've been seeing.)
Attachments
updated.png
updated.png (2.26 MiB) Viewed 5158 times

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

XxBlackRosesxX wrote:
mexmer wrote:i find this question kind of funny, because if you look at your picture, you have T juction there already, just little SW from lower red box :D

I'm fairly new to this game, so some of the concepts are extremely confusing to me. I've been watching Youtube videos for help, and they all say "give yourself lots of room to expand." It's hard to do that when I hardly know the game mechanics.

(I tore down EVERYTHING and restarted. Trying to make everything run like the BUS method I've been seeing.)
note them yellow box ;)

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

As for mainbusses, different people using different concepts.

usualy you have 1 (or more) belts per each product you want on mainbuss, and branch it.

in vanilla making 4 belts of iron plates, 3 of copper, 2 of steel, 2 of plastic, and one of each circuit board is usually enough,

also depending on layout, people usualy use horizontal direction for mainbus and vertical direction for smelt areas or branches from bus (you can swap horizontal and vertical if you feel like it, there are of course concepts like that), and rather avoid spagheti stacking.

why making mainbus horizontal? imo it's because most people nowadays play on widescreen monitor, so you can see large part of mainbus and all branches that way. if you had vertical mainbus, you will see smaller portion of it. but that just IMO, i might be wrong on this assumption (although, i usually build this way too :D )

XxBlackRosesxX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by XxBlackRosesxX »

mexmer wrote:As for mainbusses, different people using different concepts.

usualy you have 1 (or more) belts per each product you want on mainbuss, and branch it.

in vanilla making 4 belts of iron plates, 3 of copper, 2 of steel, 2 of plastic, and one of each circuit board is usually enough,

also depending on layout, people usualy use horizontal direction for mainbus and vertical direction for smelt areas or branches from bus (you can swap horizontal and vertical if you feel like it, there are of course concepts like that), and rather avoid spagheti stacking.

why making mainbus horizontal? imo it's because most people nowadays play on widescreen monitor, so you can see large part of mainbus and all branches that way. if you had vertical mainbus, you will see smaller portion of it. but that just IMO, i might be wrong on this assumption (although, i usually build this way too :D )
I can't do horizontal. It screws with my mind to much. I'm using a vertical array in my world currently (the same one on this thread,) and it seems to work. It's somewhat like the BUS method, but I modified it so I can understand and properly utilize it without having to completely copy the layout from somebody else. IDK, I just like my own play-style at my own pace.
Attachments
bus.png
bus.png (2.24 MiB) Viewed 5139 times

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

XxBlackRosesxX wrote:
mexmer wrote:As for mainbusses, different people using different concepts.

I can't do horizontal. It screws with my mind to much. I'm using a vertical array in my world currently (the same one on this thread,) and it seems to work. It's somewhat like the BUS method, but I modified it so I can understand and properly utilize it without having to completely copy the layout from somebody else. IDK, I just like my own play-style at my own pace.
AFAIK everyone starts with pure spagheti, then sooner or later try pure mainbus approach, and finaly end with either combination of both, or parceled design, with semimainbus.

honestly i can't tell you which design is best. i usually build as i need (starting with mainbus concept tho'), and building more horizontal, because of "visibility" on widescreens i mentioned in my previous post.

but imo there is no such thing as best concept in factorio, especially, when you start playing with mods, which ad more variety to production processes. but you still can learn from other concept, and adopt whatever suits your need :D

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Game one: Just gonna put this here, that there... this... um... through there... that... needs to go over there... ARGH
Game two: The iron-miner's connected to the, tra-ain. The train is connected to the, fur-nace. The furnace is connected to the, fur-nace... uh oh...
Game three: Okay, I now know I need two belts of iron, one belt of copper, and one belt of green circuits.
Game four: Okay I need four belts of iron, four belts of copper, and two belts of green circuits.
Game five: Damn, this is trivial. Might try mods.
Bob's Mods game one: Wait, "happy new year"? It's 2017 already? What do you mean it's 2025?
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Game one: Just gonna put this here, that there... this... um... through there... that... needs to go over there... ARGH
Game two: The iron-miner's connected to the, tra-ain. The train is connected to the, fur-nace. The furnace is connected to the, fur-nace... uh oh...
Game three: Okay, I now know I need two belts of iron, one belt of copper, and one belt of green circuits.
Game four: Okay I need four belts of iron, four belts of copper, and two belts of green circuits.
Bob's Mods game one: Wait, "happy new year"? It's 2017 already? What do you mean it's 2025?
looks you forgot angels mod somewhere on track. bobs will take only up to 2020 at most.

XxBlackRosesxX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by XxBlackRosesxX »

mexmer wrote:
Deadly-Bagel wrote:Game one: Just gonna put this here, that there... this... um... through there... that... needs to go over there... ARGH
looks you forgot angels mod somewhere on track. bobs will take only up to 2020 at most.

I'm only getting to the blue science packs and starting oil production. No way I'm getting into mods any time soon.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I think I played about six or seven games before going mods, including some achievement runs (just need 20 mill circuits). There's only a few things that require solid production, iron/copper plates, circuits, and oil pretty much cover it. If you're messing around you can have an assembler producing Destroyers nonstop but having efficient production on anything else is just overkill. The moment you build that 'perfect factory' you kind of run out of implicit objectives and have to start coming up with your own. Some go for 1 rocket per minute, others go for mods. Some then go for both, and others just keep installing more mods until the game structure is comparable to anyone's first factory.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

XxBlackRosesxX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by XxBlackRosesxX »

My Experience:
Game One: Alright, I've watched six hours of this on Youtube, let's see what I can do....Oh, hey, I can get things smelted!
Game Two: So I need to make electronic circuits....Just going to route this through here and under the splitter...shiiiiii (Biters got to the Player.)
Game Three.One: I'm going to modify the main bus to my own needs! Just need to make my walls large enough to compensate for the room. (A cluster-fudge appeared)
Game Three.Two: Okay, I tore down EVERYTHING... Let's try this again. It's going well, now for the 8 hour struggle to figure out fuel...
(To be continued) ((This is where I'm at now.))
Attachments
Current.png
Current.png (2.13 MiB) Viewed 5104 times

Return to “Gameplay Help”